overly loyal to your faction of choice?

MelodyofLegends

Now this issue may be just another symptom of my Schizophrenia... but does anyone else feel an odd amount of fondness or loyalty towards your character and their faction?

this is just one example... I am having an unreasonably difficult time playing my new consular because I know from reading spoilers that

she among other blows to the Empire, kills Darth Lachris

with each accomplishment on her, I feel more and more DIRTY! like I am stabbing the people loyal to my Sith Inquisitor in the back by sabotaging her accomplishments!

is line of thought normal? or should I bring this up at my next meeting with my Psychiatrist?

Well, I do feel a twinge of sympathy when I kill particularly interesting Imperials on my Smuggler and, I will admit, I do spare Imps when and where I can, but if you're worried about it you should probably mention it to your psychiatrist, but give context.

The Republic needs to go down, but they make it awfully hard to play an Empire-sympathetic Smuggler :p

I'm trying to think of Imp NPCs that Pubs kill that the galaxy wouldn't be better off without, and I'm failing. Important note: my main is a Jugg.

One Pub NPC that really stuck in my mind here was Mola Haxtor, the academic on Taris investigating nekghouls who in the Imp main planet questline is tortured for her information. Unlike some other Pub NPCs from Taris, like Ianna Cel in the IA class quest, the player can't actually show mercy toward her. The most a player can do is not add to the torture.

Edited by Euphrosyne

I feel this way a little bit, though the only time it really bites is on Imperial Taris. Not only are the Imperial characters systematically undoing all of the good done by the Republic ones, but they're doing it for no real purpose. Unlike, say, Republic Balmorra, the Empire is not out to conquer, they simply destroy everything in sight (including the environment) in some bizarre rendition of "We destroyed it 300 years ago and it's bloody well going to stay destroyed." What makes it even more galling is that if you played the original KoTOR, you know that the initial destruction of Taris was completely pointless -- Malak was trying to kill a very specific group of people and all of them escaped.

I do not have the problem, actually.

When I play the Smuggler, I am not loyal in any way, as is my Bounty Hunter. (both are neutral, because ever so often they make decisions that benefit them, not their faction :p)

When I play my Siths, I am loyal to the Empire, when I play my Jedis, it is all "for the Order and the Republic"

Same goes for Trooper and Agent.

But this might be due to me trying to play through one storyline before "switching sides" in combination with my old (and I mean really old!) habit of roleplaying. You young ones might not know, but back in the stone ages, we played with pens and paper and dice (carved out of rocks, of course!) and really slipped into the role of the character we played ;)

Edited by Gavida

I feel this way a little bit, though the only time it really bites is on Imperial Taris. Not only are the Imperial characters systematically undoing all of the good done by the Republic ones, but they're doing it for no real purpose. Unlike, say, Republic Balmorra, the Empire is not out to conquer, they simply destroy everything in sight (including the environment) in some bizarre rendition of "We destroyed it 300 years ago and it's bloody well going to stay destroyed." What makes it even more galling is that if you played the original KoTOR, you know that the initial destruction of Taris was completely pointless -- Malak was trying to kill a very specific group of people and all of them escaped.

It's possible to come up with an explanation for why the Imps were doing things the way that they did. Taris was a potential sally-port for the Republic to strike into Sith and Mando space, and as shown in the Imp bonus series there, the Pubs were constructing a massive base on Taris to support fleet ops in the area. A case can be made that the Tarisian settlement was therefore a major strategic threat to Sith security and as such had to be attacked.

As to why the Imps wiped the settlement out instead of simply conquering it, there was a CBI involved. Taris' reconstruction was costing the Republic enormous sums of money and countless man-hours of very dangerous work. Maintaining the settlement was tough enough for the Pubs; imagine how difficult it would be for the comparatively more resource-strapped Imps, who furthermore had no need to retain Taris for symbolic or military purposes.

So the Imps had a good reason to attack it, and a good reason to not want to hold it; the rest was a natural consequence of Imp and Sith casual brutality.

I'm trying to think of Imp NPCs that Pubs kill that the galaxy wouldn't be better off without, and I'm failing. Important note: my main is a Jugg.

Call me ignorant, but I can't make sense of this sentence.

I can think of a few nice imperials that the knight can kill, but that's a darkside knight. A lightside will recruit them. So it may not count.

Call me ignorant, but I can't make sense of this sentence.

I can think of a few nice imperials that the knight can kill, but that's a darkside knight. A lightside will recruit them. So it may not count.

I said that my main is a Jugg in order to demonstrate that I'm not a primarily Republic player. I mostly play Imps. But I don't have any qualms with killing Imp NPCs that show up in Pub quests. I do have problems killing most Pub NPCs that show up in Imp quests.

I do not have the problem, actually.

When I play the Smuggler, I am not loyal in any way, as is my Bounty Hunter. (both are neutral, because ever so often they make decisions that benefit them, not their faction :p)

When I play my Siths, I am loyal to the Empire, when I play my Jedis, it is all "for the Order and the Republic"

Same goes for Trooper and Agent.

But this might be due to me trying to play through one storyline before "switching sides" in combination with my old (and I mean really old!) habit of roleplaying. You young ones might not know, but back in the stone ages, we played with pens and paper and dice (carved out of rocks, of course!) and really slipped into the role of the character we played ;)

This is the closest to what I do, I actually think differently when I play Republic/Empire, as a Republic player I try to do what's right, even if it disadvantages me and my side, as a Imperial player I play as a amoral psychopath, and tend to do what is best for me, with the occasional pointless bout of random evil.

I haven't played the LS in the Empire yet, or DS in the Republic, but I will get around to it, and I will probably just reverse my thinking again. BTW I just emmerse myself in the game, not symptomatic of anything else.

I feel ridicously bad everytime I'm forced to kill a chiss. I've killed 4 chiss so far I think (2x the one that you have to kill at the trooper story and was helping my team to kill 2 chiss in EC on my first run - with the rest, I shot anything else first and let my teammates to kill the chiss so I don't have their blood on my hands) and I feel horrible every time I have to kill one. I really like the chiss. I don't want to kill them. I prefer running away if some of them attacks me or letting them to kill me.

With Empire/Republic I don't have anything this strong (though I do prefer the Empire much more for many reasons), but when it comes to the chiss..

Edited by Seireeni