[Suggestion] Buff Olok the Shadow

This fight is disturbingly easy. Even on HM, this fight is impossible to fail unless half of your raid DC's or you have an epic fail at setting up your board. I think this fight needs to be buffed in some way to not make it what it essentially is: Free loot. If you look over at TorParse.com, this fight has an astounding 97% success rate! This fight should be renamed "Naptime for healers" because I'm pretty sure I heard one of our healers snoring throughout the whole fight.

http://www.torparse.com/statistics/Scum+and+Villainy/Olok+the+Shadow

Operations are supposed to have their easy fights and their tougher fights, but Olok Shadow on HM is easier than some story mode fights!

Edited by bbare

Buff the whole Ops, it's ridiculous even for SWTOR standards.

To be fair, it is harder than KP and EV when they first came out. The only thing stopping guilds from getting down Soa on NiM the first week they hit 50 was his long list of bugs!

I would say the level of difficulty on S&V is a little more than TFB, only because Styrak is a tighter gear check. If they aren't going to buff HM, hopefully NiM will be at least as challenging as NiM EC which wasn't even that challenging except for Kephess.

Edited by bbare

So youre in the top 5% that clears hardmode while the remaining 95% is still doing storymode. If anything, it shouldnt even be nerfed or buffed in the first 3 months. After that they have enough data to see where people struggle and where people blast through. I'm doing an educated guess that it won't be buffed to appease the top 5% and piss off the remaining 95%.

So youre in the top 5% that clears hardmode while the remaining 95% is still doing storymode. If anything, it shouldnt even be nerfed or buffed in the first 3 months. After that they have enough data to see where people struggle and where people blast through. I'm doing an educated guess that it won't be buffed to appease the top 5% and piss off the remaining 95%.

I really only want it buffed in hard mode so it won't have an effect on casual players. I don't want it buffed so much that it will be the hardest fight in the game, but a nice buff to make it at least challenging on HM is reasonable.

Edited by bbare

I really only want it buffed in hard mode so it won't have an effect on casual players. I don't want it buffed so much that it will be the hardest fight in the game, but a nice buff to make it at least challenging on HM is reasonable.

Being still in Storymode does not mean people are casual. The top5% shouldnt even think of asking for buffs for hardmode content since the majority isn't doing it, yet.

Being still in Storymode does not mean people are casual. The top5% shouldnt even think of asking for buffs for hardmode content since the majority isn't doing it, yet.

While true, Olok the Shadow is still too easy for any Hard Mode operation. Even casual players will find that it is way too easy for a hard mode encounter. Its by far the easiest fight in the operation. If you can get to Olok the Shadow, you should one-shot it every time. I think it needs to be buffed a little to at least make it respectable.

Edited by bbare

Being still in Storymode does not mean people are casual.

I'm sorry but that is exactly what it means. That is why story mode is on LFG, because it was designed with PUGs and casuals in mind.

If you are not casual, and are serious about raiding, you do hard mode operations.

If you are a hard core raider then you do nightmare mode operations.

Olok the Shadow, as with everything in the instance is ridiculously easy. I don't mind this being the case in story mode, since the majority of players should be able to complete story mode. Hard mode however is for well coordinated groups, and should be a challenge. On PTS it was, at the moment it is not.

@OP I completely agree on so many levels. Back on test I was asking for re-balancing the fights due to the ease at which they were cleared. When 2.0 went live, we went in and under 4 hours cleared the entire instance on 16 man HM (We never got close to completing the instance on test because we decided to work on the 16 Man NiM EC Title Runs). An argument can be made that my guild is on that top % for raiding and only NiM would provide a challenge, etc. However, I would like to direct everyone on that argument to HM EC. How long before that was cleared on 8 and then 16?

The large problem that ops difficulty has currently is that the devs have to make it easy enough for the majority of their player base to eventually beat. Otherwise they loose more subs. Quite frankly, if we want harder content.....we will need more Skilled Progression Raiders in this game. Most of them left because the game was too easy or there was not enough content to keep them around. IF we can convince everyone to come back and play that was here at launch, suffer through the first content update with them and then get to the second content update; we may just have a pretty darn good raiding game. But the odds of that happening are well......................I will let you guess.

I'm sorry but that is exactly what it means. That is why story mode is on LFG, because it was designed with PUGs and casuals in mind.

If you are not casual, and are serious about raiding, you do hard mode operations.

Olok the Shadow, as with everything in the instance is ridiculously easy. I don't mind this being the case in story mode, since the majority of players should be able to complete story mode. Hard mode however is for well coordinated groups, and should be a challenge. On PTS it was, at the moment it is not.

No, casual means you play the game when you can/want or in the mood for and in whatever pace you desire. It has nothing to do with raiding.

They won't buff it for the 5% that clears hardmode or nightmare mode.

5% clearing HM or Nightmare? more like 35-50%. Even nightmare modes in this game are too easy. My guild really enjoyed Olok on PTs in 8m where it was actually a challenge. We downed it on PTS in its original form before they nerfed it to hell and brought out this wussy form.

Rofl, 5%? I want the illegal substance you're having. You're greatly overestimating the difficulty of S&V and underestimating the raiding playerbase (even if we're talking about SWTOR players). As I said, if you are even remotely interested in raiding, you will clear S&V HM in a heartbeat.

Really can't fathom anyone having difficulty in this retarded Ops, and there are actually dribblers who claim S&V HM is for the 5% and that it's perfectly fine to have this Ops on the raiding schedule for the next 6 months ... I knew this degradation would happen to SWTOR (as they say, retarded content begets retarded players) ... Wildstar, save me!

Edited by Krewel

Rofl, 5%? I want the illegal substance you're having. You're greatly overestimating the difficulty of S&V and underestimating the raiding playerbase (even if we're talking about SWTOR players). As I said, if you are even remotely interested in raiding, you will clear S&V HM in a heartbeat.

Really can't fathom anyone having difficulty in this retarded Ops, and there are actually dribblers who claim S&V HM is for the 5% and that it's perfectly fine to have this Ops on the raiding schedule for the next 6 months ... I knew this degradation would happen to SWTOR (as they say, retarded content begets retarded players) ... Wildstar, save me!

I think "still" was the key word you guys somehow missed in the posts you replied to.

I think "still" was the key word you guys somehow missed in the posts you replied to.

I didn't miss the still, I just don't think story mode is for raiding guilds, ever. At least at Nostrum Dolus we don't go for story mode and when content is released we start our progression in hard mode.

I understand that casuals want to try hard mode, but they can't design the operations around that or raiding guilds will have no content. Seriously, we lost half our raiding team already due to this, and are in risk of losing the other (extremely bored) half.

Edited by Qvasar

In my server with at least 30 PVE guilds http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=633048

(there's more im sure), around 7 guilds have cleared HM SnV. There are some guilds that don't visit and post on the forums; nothing we can do about that. That is ~20% in The Bastion who have downed HM Styrak. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598565

How is it looking for the other servers?

I understand that casuals want to try hard mode, but they can't design the operations around that or raiding guilds will have no content. Seriously, we lost half our raiding team already due to this, and are in risk of losing the other (extremely bored) half.

I think our only chance of "not losing boredom" in this game as far as raiding is concerned is NiM mode. My guild still says NiM Kephess is one of the harder fights in the game lol.

Check this out:

SWTOR - WOW

Story mode - Raid finder

Hard mode - Normal raid

NiM mode - Heroic raid

probably.. yea? :p If that's true then we are actually doing the normal version of raids. And only have Heroic to look forward to for "non-boring" fights.

Edited by paowee

I disagree, the fight to get to him is long enough already. Yes he might be easy but you gotta think your group has just pushed through a ton of crap to get to him. Healers need a i get to sleep for a bit at that point because the fight to get there was so long.

Honestly he is fine where he is at, if he does get buffed do it in nightmare mode.

Story and hard modes are fine as is

not sure how many raiding guilds are on Pot5, but it seems like pretty much all of them have full cleared HM SV. Shoot that stuff is easy as hell. Last week in 8m we cleared HM SV, HM TFB, and HM GF in 2.5 hours...had nothing to do the rest of the week but dink around on alts and take long naps on raid nights:P

I just did this fight for the first time on HM last night and one-shot it. Once Olok came out, the other healer announced in mumble that he was field respeccing to DPS mid-fight. I still didn't have any trouble healing it, as a matter of fact I still had time for a couple shivs and orbital strikes every now and then. I think the fight could use a bit of tuning during the coin phase as well as the actual boss phase. Both are just way too easy, even on HM.

1 - Making a generalized percentage that has no verifiable proof really diminishes the strength of your argument

2 - All the raids in SWTOR need to be buffed. But that goes from trash, to # of bosses, to the difficulty of bosses. I like Vanilla and TBC WoW raids. I like Rift Raids (the 20-man ones at least). I like the fact that you couldn't clear a raid in one day on the first day of release. I liked the fact that content was gated through sheer difficulty and gear needed for the fights. But that's me, being an old-school player.

The fact that we're already on farm mode as well and now we're starting to run stuff on our alts (the SM's are on our alts now) makes it sort of depressing. Since we haven't seen NiM mode of these places I'm guessing those will come out in 2.2 - if we're lucky. And who knows when the next operation comes out after that. 8 weeks afterwards is being optimal. So that means we get to see S&M for 4+ months and TFB for like 7+ months.

That's really depressing...

While true, Olok the Shadow is still too easy for any Hard Mode operation. Even casual players will find that it is way too easy for a hard mode encounter. Its by far the easiest fight in the operation. If you can get to Olok the Shadow, you should one-shot it every time. I think it needs to be buffed a little to at least make it respectable.

I guess if you view the encounter as just the final "annoyance boss", then yes, he needs a serious buff. The 95% success rate in torparse comes from the fact that torparse doesn't count it as a boss fight until you get to Olok, which means that anybody who wipes on the puzzle part of it will not be counted in the statistics.

I do wish this fight were somewhat harder overall. The first phase is just a time sink to acquire credit tokens, while the second phase comes down to good tanking and focus targeting. The second phase could be more challenging, while the first and third phases could be challenging *at all*.

With that said, I know a whole slew of guilds on my server that won't be clearing HM S&V for quite a while (basically, only once they're in mostly-72s). Buffing it would be a pretty serious problem for them. It seems that BioWare is tuning raids such that Story Mode is the "pug-accesssible group finder mode", Hard Mode is the "requires coordination and competency" mode, and Nightmare Mode is the "l33t guilds need only apply" mode. I think everyone in this thread is looking forward to the last of those three, but Hard Mode will never be it.

It's worth noting that Olok is far from the easiest boss in the instance. (I'm looking at you, Oasis)

Edited by KeyboardNinja