View Single Post

uniz
02.06.2013 , 07:11 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
You probably come from WoW where that debate has been long fought without a real resolution...

In a game like WoW where a player can give another player materials and 10 seconds later get an item there is more strength to that argument. But even then, it really all depends on the two players who agree to work together. there are a myriad of possible agreements too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say that the two participants have to agree to the terms. Personally, I had too many bad experiences with players wanting me to craft stuff for them. Which is why I focused my efforts to acquiring my own materials, crafting stuff, and selling it on the auction house.

In a game like SWTOR where crafting high level items takes an hour or more, the overwhelming majority of the time players with materials are trading those materials for an already completed finished good; an "even swap" as it were. What the crafter player does with those materials is beyond the scope of the player with the materials needs to know; especially when there is no fee involved. But again, it boils down to what the players are willing to agree to. If you, as the materials player, is willing to trade/send those materials to a crafter and wait a long time to get the finished good and the crafter is willing to give you back whatever results are generated...good for you. But you materials player will have to trust the crafter player enough to accept what he gives you as the results of crafting with your materials. Not so easy with strangers.

Crafting for guildmates is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. They have the materials, you have the recipe/schematic. You are supposed to be friendly; you can trust your guildmate. So sending materials to be crafted into a finished good, a guildmate should give all the crafted results.
no i came from eq1 and eq2 where crafting was far more involved and complicated. where you had a chance of failure and rare materials HAD to be harvested or mobs killed by yourself as some were no-trade (bop). also you had to physically craft and not click a button then go afk or send a companion out. there was a mechanic in place to make bop items which require you to meet the player at a crafting station and both of you had to be there. god forbid if you failed on the combine and wasted the materials. cant fail in this game. dont have to go anywhere either. just summon a mail droid and send your companion out and continue on with what you are doing.

but your answer is what i anticipated when you differentiate between guildies and non guildies. that is ok as in this game far too many people have 26/27 schematics where reputation plays very little of a role. i also understand the trusting part as i have been playing these mmos for over 12 years. i too would do the swap thing if i didn't have so many schematics. but i dont advertise on fleet to make this or that. i only make items for the gtn and guildies. you did comment about making a agreement prior to the crafting which i am in favor of and have always done over the years. it eliminates a lot of potential problems that can come up. but many people dont do this so i asked the question specifically without such agreements. i am more interested in peoples responses to what i said about crits and reasons for it. also i was unaware blizzard had a similar mechanic and would have not made the post if this was known.

thank you for your response