i suspect Vader turned to the lightside once before

Macetheace

Why would Darth Vader need someone to hold his leash as Leia jibes in Episode IV? in fact he doens't seem quite the Emperor's right hand man, in that film as he is in Episode VI or as Epsidoe III portrays him.. which means he must have done something to put him in that situation people like Tarquin talk to him like an equal or lower even, cos Tarquin seems to have more authority in Episode IV than VAder.. so something must have happened.

1. He could have turned back to the light side for a while after discovering how much Sidious had lied to him about everything and manipulated him

2. He could have made agra for power and nearly succeeded or evn temporrarily succeeded at becoming Emperor himself.

but there is more to be told there, it is rumoured the 4th trilogy willbe based between Episode III and Episode IV, or at least focus on Darth Vader.

If i am not mistaken originally the Emperor wasn't going to be this ultra evil sith lord but a good person who was powerless before the corrupt Moff council. Vader was originally their enforcer. Which is why it seems that in Episode 4 that Tarkin was his boss. After that Lucas decided that the Emperor was the ultimate evil and Vader was his number 2.

It does seem a bit confusing from our current perspective.

If i am not mistaken originally the Emperor wasn't going to be this ultra evil sith lord but a good person who was powerless before the corrupt Moff council. Vader was originally their enforcer. Which is why it seems that in Episode 4 that Tarkin was his boss. After that Lucas decided that the Emperor was the ultimate evil and Vader was his number 2.

oh.. i did not know that, i was just watching Episode IV and it really reminds me of the AMerican Cibil war, almost like it is a caricature of the freedom fighting founding fathers, rebelling against a corrupt empire that had long since lost its ways.

i suppose in those days, the King of England was considered a good guy but fairly powerless before the corrupt and greedy House of Lords and a cowering Parliament, or something like that.

That would have been interesting though, a good person as the Emperor, and the MOff council the real evil, but i think it worked out better having an evil counterpart to the jedi in the Sith and a Sith Lord as an Emperor, ..but am I saying tha tin hindsight? nonetheless, ti worked out well, which isn't always the case, so i think i'm right here.

Episode I to III really remindsme of where our current world system is going in so calle d free nations, once just and noble men falling to corruption, bribery, manipulation, losing faith in God, freedom, justice, peace..now you're looked at as naiive for believing that such things can dominate.. yet they once were the founding tenants of society both in Britain and the United States. ritain has seen periods where corruption and apathy gripped the hearts and minds of tis leaders, but often a revival of sorts, or revolution of thinking arose from amongst the people and the leaders who seemd fearless and couragous rose to prominence and gained political power influencing once more the country to promote and stand for truth, justice, freedom, faith in God. AMerica on the other hand, isnce the foudnign fathers hasn't really had those dark moments, it seems to have been a slow but steady decline into a state that we similarly find the Galactic Senate during the course of EPisode I- III

makes me think that LUcas modelled Episode IV-VI after the American war of independence from the British Empire and modelled Episode I-III based on the current trend of American Politics in the last 3 decades.

oh.. i did not know that, i was just watching Episode IV and it really reminds me of the AMerican Cibil war, almost like it is a caricature of the freedom fighting founding fathers, rebelling against a corrupt empire that had long since lost its ways.

"....

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

...."

Quote from the "Journal of the Whills", prologue of the novel "Star Wars", by George Lucas, 1976

;)

This is going to take a bit to explain on how I see. In Ep 3 I don't believe Anakin was completely Vader till he found out that Padma was dead. At that point he stop being Anakin and became Darth Vader. I don't believe he suffered the same fate as most sith which was quest for more power because he no longer cared. I think this was what the Emperor wanted all along. It gave him a student that would not betray him.

Now reason for why he so different between ep 3 - 4 is because there a twenty year gap between the two movies. He wasn't the same person he was in Ep 3 or even at the end of ep 3.

As to why he obeyed Tarkin who says he listen to Tarkin at all. I mean close thing we get to him following an order was when Tarkin told him to release that guy. To me he did it more because he got his point across. Also Tarkin was in command and took his orders from Emperor and had the full backing of the Emperor. So by following Tarkin order he was also following Emperor orders.

When you get to empire Vader learned he had a son it re awoke the part of himself that was Anakin Skywalker. In fact if you watch he pretty much picks up right where he left off with Padma. I mean he sitting there telling her he can kill the Emperor and they can rule the galaxy together; it's the same exact thing he was pushing on Luke at the end of Empire Strikes Back. Basically finding out he had a son re awoke the passionate part of Anakin. Then when you get to Return of the Jedi Luke basically forces him to take a hardcore look at himself.

So did Vader ever go to Lightside, because Vader didn't care about anything or any one other then serving the emperor. At least not until he learned of his son.

In addition to what has been said, I think Palpatine knew Tarkin longer than he did know Anakin. And Tarkin has been Palpatine's supporter for a longer time. They were basically a triumvirate after Anakin became Vader and Tarkin always had more political power than Vader. Tarkin's dead created a considerable power shift towards Vader.

(If I had written the prequels, Tarkin would play a much larger role in them. ;) )

The books are based off of the games, and the games came first, so yes, each game (sadly) is canon.

nope. in canon Starkiller isn't a Force-god, but the game needed to seem fun, so they made the players feel epic. Canonically Starkiller is not all that the games potray him as. Although he is strong in the Force in canon, he isn't as strong in the books (canon) aa he is in the game (noncanon)