Why no combat gathering?

Jadalyn

What's sad is this makes me really wary of playing this game. I'm coming from LOTRO and jacking nodes is a pretty rare thing. Usually it happens by accident if a person doesn't see you because of environmental obstacles.

To think that this might be a comman thing makes me cringe. I do wish game devs could come up with a way to prevent this. Maybe allow your companion to tag the node before he goes into combat mode. I don't know, but there must be some way. With luck it will be something they come up with in an update.

Why all the stress over such meaningless stuff? Someone steals my node, its a little annoying, but it isn't the end of the world, there are other nodes. Common courtesy is as simple as waiting the 30seconds to see if they want it. If a handful of nodes being "taken" from you is that big a deal, you have much bigger problems than resources in a video game.

-ReverendRoxxo

Yeah, the stealing is irritating. What I REALLY loved in beta was two separate quests on Balmorra that had me setting off a device, fighting an ambush, then doing something else to it. During both of these I had jerks run up and perform the second action while I was fighting. Doubly pointless on a mission, because they just have to go back and do the first part after me anyway, so they're delaying BOTH of us.

As for the resource nodes, yeah, it sucks when people are rude. Maybe someday the MMO makers will add in a good tagging system to prevent that.

People will be like this, it can't be avoided. But I might point out that the majority in most games are not, however when someone does pass over the node you are fighting for, you won't really notice. But you will notice the tool that steals it.

We can sit all day and argue about being nice and not, those that are nice will remain that way, and the others... well you know. Anything we agree on will just be a 'code of the willing'. It won't matter much.

Tagging nodes would help this greatly though. It is still the same person that needs to kill the mobs, and since it is only a tag you can't just loot and run. I wonder why such a thing isn't used. I mean what is the argument against it? It won't hurt the tools, and it won't hurt the nice. But it will help the guy trying to fight for the node.

Its the perception of being a jerk that could be avoided.

If I'm fighting and I want to get a node that gets stolen by another player - they are a jerk.

If I want a node and another player is fighting the mobs by it - I'm the jerk.

But Why?

You ever hear the expression "two wrongs don't make a right"?

Let me put it another way, you are hurting people because other people hurt you. And you're spreading more negativity by acting on your anger too. To paraphrase Nietzsche, you've become the monsters you were fighting.

I'm afraid being the good guy means losing sometimes. Sad but true.

What's sad is this makes me really wary of playing this game. I'm coming from LOTRO and jacking nodes is a pretty rare thing. Usually it happens by accident if a person doesn't see you because of environmental obstacles.

Coming from WoW I can tell you there it happens... ALL the time. No doubt I'll hate it here too, but I expect things will clear up a bit when the launch gold rush dies down a bit. I hope so at any rate. I would advise you to go to a PVE server, maybe it's due to the less competitive nature but people on PVE servers (in WoW at least) tended to be very courteous, laid-back and relaxed. Even from the "enemy" faction.

Edited by Ghengis_John

If you've played an mmo before you'll know that anyone fighting next to a node has a chance that they want to gather it - if you really want the node you can have two choices:

• wait 10 sec to see if they harvest it
  • harvest it and risk looking like a bastard

I always wait, its only a matter of seconds. Unless they're opposite faction of course, in which case it depends on my mood :rolleyes:

For those that are advent wow bashers...If you tag a node and get in combat in WoW you get the node tag. It is not a system that can not be implemented, because its already out there. I know a few times when I would tag a node get ganked and killed before I could mine it, by some jerk that was mad that I beat him to it, I would come back from the gy and still have the tag cause they couldn't mine it. If Bioware wanted to put in a tag system they could. Maybe they will look into it.

For those that are advent wow bashers...If you tag a node and get in combat in WoW you get the node tag. It is not a system that can not be implemented, because its already out there. I know a few times when I would tag a node get ganked and killed before I could mine it, by some jerk that was mad that I beat him to it, I would come back from the gy and still have the tag cause they couldn't mine it. If Bioware wanted to put in a tag system they could. Maybe they will look into it.

I personally dont see any problem with a shared resource goal being an incentive to pvp, especially if you are on a pvp server.

Since when? I quit at the start of Cata and node ganking was a constant occurrence in scholozar and icecrown. I myself killed people who'd killed me mid-mining and took their nodes, as they had taken mine. I never enjoyed it mind you, but you didn't get a "tag" even up to then. So I'm curious when it changed. I suspect those people were just trying to corpse camp you or were waiting for you to come back for your node.

Edited by Ghengis_John

Since when? I quit at the start of Cata and node ganking was a constant occurrence in scholozar and icecrown. I myself killed people who'd killed me mid-mining and took their nodes, as they had taken mine. I never enjoyed it mind you, but you didn't get a "tag" even up to then. So I'm curious when it changed.

It hasn't. I played up until the most recent patch and there is no flipping "tag node". If you switch to killing the mob (and they interrupt your mining if they strike you) the other person gets the node.