Sith Assassin Tank gear

Rorschdark

Hello!

I'm interested to know what stats are important for an assassin tank, I want to make my character for tanking, right now I'm leveling it and I have some problems finding good gear to be effective in heroics, any tips for me please?

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Game has three tank classes.

The Sith Assassin/Jedi Shadow.

The Vanguard/Powertech.

The Guardian/Juggernaut.

Two of them wear heavy armor. One of them wears light armor. Two of them have a plethora of survivability skills - the other one has stealth and a CC. Of all the tanks in the game, you picked the squishy one. The Shadow/Assassin variety is more subject to random spikes in damage than the other two. This puts a lot on the healer - because if they aren't prepared for a spike - then the tank dies.

Now that all said - focus on Endurance. Since you take more damage than (literally) every other tank in the game - you will need more health.

Endurance - defense - shield - absorption

Use on CD your shield boosting.

No.

Endurance is the lowest priority - it does boost your self healing, so if you can trade 1 point of d/s/a for a greater amount of endurance it can be worth it, but otherwise you maximize the mitigation = less heals needed and a greater chance to mitigate any given attack, reducing spikyness.

Dark/kinetic ward should be used when the previous buff of it is at 1 stack or 1 second left. If you do it earlier, you loose any stacks of the absorb proc you've built up and waste force, so you want to delay that as much as possible.

Sin tanking requires you to he more active though, and time your CDs, especially shroud allow you to completely nullify huge attacks that would take a large chunk out of any other tank, or give you 5 seconds of damage immunity if used during the right phases.

Juggs have something similar now with reflect, but it has a longer CD and doesn't work on aoe (like f.e. Titans huge grenade and all of TFB)

Two of them wear heavy armor. One of them wears light armor.

Stating the obvious. Also a completely moot point.

Two of them have a plethora of survivability skills

By "two of them", you of course mean assassin and juggernaut, both of which have more and better defensive cooldowns and other such things than a powertech.

- the other one has stealth and a CC.

Which while not directly involved in actual tanking is a wonderful thing to have in addition to "plethora of survivability skills".

Of all the tanks in the game, you picked the squishy one. The Shadow/Assassin variety is more subject to random spikes in damage than the other two.
You forgot to mention that despite being slightly more "spiky" than other tanks (and even this spikyness is often greatly exaggerated), if they are played correctly, when averaged over longer period of time, assassins do actually require least amount of external healing to survive.

Now that all said - focus on Endurance.

No, just no. Focus on defense, shield and absorption.

Since you take more damage than (literally) every other tank in the game

You forgot to mention that simple "damage taken" is very bad way to measure how good tanks are, since it does not take all things such as self-healing into the account. Much better way to compare tanks is the amount of external healing (healing done by healers) needed for them to survive, by which measure, assassins are easily the best tanks (assuming the player knows how to get most out of the class).

you will need more health.

You forgot to add the word "not" to that sentence.

Edited by Eternalnight

As having an assassin tank @ 55, the above are correct in that you do not want to stack endurance, unless you do not have an alternative. You mentioned you are leveling, so yeah it can be a bit tough to get decent tanking gear (with mitigation stats) until you start getting higher up in level. Prioritize your gear / mods / enhancements to provide defensive mitigation stats over raw endurance. If you cannot do that yet, then go for endurance heavy stuff until you can. You didn't mention your level, or what your defensive stats are, so I can't make any specific recommendations.

Once you get into operations, those mitigation stats are massive, as mentioned above you are actually easier to heal than a tank with more HP and less mitigation. There are a few threads with a ton of math behind the new stat budgets and end game goals for tank gearing and defensive stats. Here is one of the more popular ones http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Ok, need some guidance on my gear. Not 100% sure I need to fix it or if it's ok. Looking at Noxxic, they say to have Will > Shield (40%) >= Absorb (44%) > Defense (18%) > End - I've heard mixed emotions about using Noxxic. Some say it's outdated, others say it's impossible to get the #'s he's saying while others say it's the bible and should be followed to the T.

That being said; I'm trying to figure out what's a good stat and what's an ok stat for a 55 Assassin Tank.

Here are my stats and not sure what you need so it's the book:

Str: 112

Pres: 380

Sim: 54

Cun: 60

End: 2419

Will: 1738

Exp: 0

Social IV

Melee:

Damage: 974-1209

Bonus Dama: 440.2

Acc: 93%

Crit Chance: 10.48%

Crit Multi: 51%

Defense:

Health: 29400

Aromor: 5996

Dama Reduc: 31.99%

Def Chance: 18%

Shield Chance 38.38%

Shield Absorb: 42.36%

Gear:

Ear Piece: Veracity Advanced Supercharged Resistance Module [Augmented]

Implant: (2) [Rampart Experimental Resistance Implant [Augmented]]

Relics:

[Arkanian Relic of Shield Amplification [Augmented]]

[Rakata Relic of the Shrouded Crusader [Augmented]]

Mods: Advanced Robust Mod 28

Armoring: Advanced Resolve Armoring 28

Enhancements: Advanced Sturdiness Enhancement 28

Hilt: Advanced Force Wielder Hilt 28

Crystal: Advanced Silver-Blue Indestructible Crystal

Augments:

(7) Sheild Augment 28 (Blue)

(5) Absorb Augment 28 (Blue)

Not sure what to do about the "high" endurance because the only thing I can see that is End specific are the crystals. I can change them, but to what? They don't have a shield or absorb crystal do they?

I have 7 Advanced Shield Augment 28's in my inventory and can add them at any time; but the improvement to my shield chance would be minimal; so "what's the point?" if there is something I should be using instead.

I do not have 2 items augmented, cause I'm waiting for comms to buy another Relic; and I just haven't wanted to drop the $ to augment the other implant until I knew what I was dropping in there. As far as I know, I can craft advanced augment 28's on every augment available; and have the materials, so I just need to figure out what I need to craft.

In the end, I took him for a roll around Makeb and CZ-198. I lost abut 6 - 9k in health going against a 56k dude on Makeb; so I think he's pretty sweet. but is there anything I need to tweak or should improve or just leave it alone and add 1 shield & 1 absorb when I aug those last 2 pieces and call him done; until the I start grabbing 69 gear?

Sorry for this being so long; but wanted to make sure you had all the info you needed.