I was wondering where you got the info for this, I would like to read into it more and try to figure out if it really means that the added bonus will always equal out in a real world situation. one would think that if you have a low chance to shield or absorb then it would hurt you rather then even out. I see on paper it would, but it seems like it is a safer bet to just have them as equal as you could get them.
Just comes down to basic math. My post shortened it largely. For a more broken down look at the following.
Assume you have 100 attacks that deal 100 damage. Over the course of those 100 attacks you will be dealt damage (100 x 100) = 10,000.
If your shield were 80 and your absorb were 20 you would look like this.
100 attacks, 80 shields, of those shields you absorb 20 damage. 80 * 20 = 1600 damage absorbed.
Reverse the numbers. 100 attacks w/20 shield and 80 absorb. 20 * 80 = 1600 damage absorbed.
Again just really basic math. Now due to stat curves and such, the ratings required for each may be different and there in lines the balancing. It's just important to know that if you are stressing between 51% Shield, and 50% absorb and 50% shield, and 51% absorb they are the same.
Secondly, if you are taking one away from the other it doesn't relate evenly if you are not just switching the numbers. 51/50 relates directly to 50/51, not 47/54 or any other number you can come up with. Again, just very basic math.
I was also wondering where you got the hard info for this as well. I was reading on mmo mechanics http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-492.html
that this is how the roll system is:
"First is a hit roll, accuracy versus defense, and if the attacker misses then no damage occurs.
If the attacker rolled poorly enough to miss even discounting the target's defense then a "Miss" result occurs. If he misses because of the defense then the result varies based on the attack type, the cover state of the target, and the target's equipped weapons. All the possible results - Dodge, Parry, Deflect, Resist, Cover - are mathematically the same, but they can trigger different effects and are visualized in different ways.
If the attacker hits, then a second roll is made with the crit chance of the attacker versus the shield chance of the target.
If a Crit or a Shield occurs then the damage is adjusted up or down (based on Surge/Absorb), and then it goes through to the armor and damage resistance. A critical can never be shielded, and an attacker with a high enough crit chance can push the target's shield chance off the table. It shouldn't be possible to get your passive crit chance high enough to start pushing off the target's shield chance, but there are short-duration buffs that push these chances high enough to come into conflict."
So from my reading im trying to figure out if its a continuous roll like your showing (with the base roll being at 100% then going down based on defense) or a double roll system with it being at 100%, then if the attack still goes through the first roll to the second then it would start at 100% again going up against the shield and so on.
If you have the chance for the attack to miss you completely then go to the second roll of your shield wouldn't you want that? please correct me otherwise but the way im seeing it is that you have the chance for an attack to miss you on the first roll, based on just a plain miss or a defensive miss. If the attack isn't missed it then goes to shield chance and mitigation before armor reduction and so on.
So the way you described it as "15% + (60% * .85) = 66%" would be wrong.
It would be 15% for the attack to miss, then if it doesn't there's a 60% chance to be shielded based off a 100% that went threw the first roll. Now it doesn't mean it would be a 75% mitigate to all attacks, it means that there's a total of a 75% chance to mitigate an attack, and only a 60% chance to mitigate and attack if the first 15% doesn't.
Im just trying to get a better understanding of the whole system no intention to troll or discredit , so if you have data off other sites or tests people have done I would love to see and read them.
I'm not saying it's a continuous roll. What you are laying out is what is what is being described by the math. What the math is showing is a two roll system. Where of all the rolls there could possibly be 15% are dodged, of the ones that are not dodged (the other 85% of attacks), you are applying your shield chance too.
Step 1: A 1000 ranged/melee attacks are launched at your character.
Step 2: Of those 1000 attacks you dodged 150 of them! Hooray!
Step 3: 850 Attacks are still coming your way!
Step 4: They've "hit" so now you apply your shield chance.
Step 5: Of the 850 attacks you shield 510 attacks. (60% of them)
150 Complete Dodges + 510 Shield attacks out of the 1000 attacks. Letting you mitigate 660 / 1000 = 66% of all the attacks. As my math said in the first thing. Not different, just a misunderstanding.