Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Removed DS/LS choice on Balmorra

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Removed DS/LS choice on Balmorra

Raphael_diSanto
01.21.2016 , 09:47 AM | #1
What gives, BioWare? Story, character definition and choice are big draws for me and probably the main reasons why it's the only MMO I currently play.

I'm leveling a new character (and still finding gems of dialogue that I hadn't found before) and it's been fun. But I'm currently on Balmorra, and it appears you've removed an LS/DS choice. I see no reason for this. It's part of the planet story, not the Smuggler's class story, so it'll affect everyone who does this on Balmorra. The mission is Clearing A Path, and it's the mission you get right after you rescue Iain Sarkus. Go in, kill Admiral Riserre and then contact Sarkus on the holo to slice the satellite defense system.

Now, unless my memory serves me incorrectly - And according to the ZAM quest list here: http://www.zam.com/wiki/Balmorra_(TOR_Quest_Series) it doesn't - I should get a choice there. Be all hard-arsed and darksided and save the republic's supply center, or be a lilly-livered tree-hugger and lightsided and save the poor slicers.

But no! No, my smuggler does not get that choice any more (And she's pretty darksided, so I was looking forward to hearing Sarkus whine like a preteen about the choice). Now, instead, it auto selects the lightsided choice and she says "I won't let innocent people die!"

What the heck?

youtube vid for proof: Choice should happen at around 1:05. Those of you familiar with this mission will know exactly what I'm talking about.....

https://youtu.be/0JqJ_oSd0bA

I mean, sure. It's just one choice. And it doesn't actually affect anything in the greater scheme of things. And it's not like the game actually gives you LS points for railroading you into the LS choice. But why even remove it? It makes no sense. It obviously took work to remove it and from what I can tell, it doesn't add anything to the game or the story by doing so. Seems like wasted effort to me.

Keta
01.21.2016 , 10:58 AM | #2
I'm presuming you have the display alignment option turned on in settings? Or were watching after you made the choices? No chance you missed the alignment points be granted in game?

I haven't done those missions in quite sometime so I don't recall what happened last time. Personally I think they're both bad choices.

Aeristash
01.21.2016 , 11:20 AM | #3
Spoiler
Not cool.

Sebaddon
01.21.2016 , 12:22 PM | #4
I actually just did the same mission today and you're correct OP, the option that was there has been removed. It's especially strange since afterwards they still say "Thank you for going after them" while the commander doesn't approve of your "decision".

I know it still was there before 4.0.4.

Indeed a random thing to remove :s (Is it possibly bugged?)
Former CoH player from the Union server (@Sebaddon)

Raphael_diSanto
01.21.2016 , 08:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Keta View Post
I'm presuming you have the display alignment option turned on in settings? Or were watching after you made the choices? No chance you missed the alignment points be granted in game?

I haven't done those missions in quite sometime so I don't recall what happened last time. Personally I think they're both bad choices.
No, the choice just doesn't exist anymore. You don't get a dialogue wheel. It just skips straight to "Yeah, let's save the slicers", hehe.

Raphael_diSanto
01.21.2016 , 08:49 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeristash View Post
Spoiler
Not cool.
Yeah, that's not cool

Raphael_diSanto
01.21.2016 , 08:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sebaddon View Post
I actually just did the same mission today and you're correct OP, the option that was there has been removed. It's especially strange since afterwards they still say "Thank you for going after them" while the commander doesn't approve of your "decision".

I know it still was there before 4.0.4.

Indeed a random thing to remove :s (Is it possibly bugged?)
Oh well. I guess my darksided smuggler will have to just rescue the slicers.

Xo-Lara
01.21.2016 , 09:17 PM | #8
Yeah, I noticed that too. I wondered if I was the only one not to get the dialogue wheel. It was the option I was going to take anyway but I thought it strange it was missing.
If you like my stronghold threads such as this and this, please consider using my referral link. It will reward us both. Or you could post your support for one of my threads.
{Ξ(Θ)!!██████████████████

Nothing_Shines
01.22.2016 , 12:07 AM | #9
I can pretty much guarantee that the person who came up with an original storyline for anything in vanilla SWTOR, as well as whoever made the original decision as to what would or would not be a choice during conversations AND what would earn points on the Light/Dark track, is no longer an employee of BW working on this game. If they are, they are no longer making the decisions that lead to things like the Doc alignment issue spoiler tagged above or that mentioned by the OP that are apparently now on the list of things BW Austin thinks should be tinkered with while game systems like the GTN search function and EVENTS are still BROKEN. The people making these decisions were handed a product they did not make and so they have zero investment in that product or real understanding of the intent behind how it was made or what it was supposed to be. OF COURSE they are going to start messing things up as they move forward with "their vision".

Look at what happened with the heroics throughout the entirety of the vanilla game with 4.0: the closing cutscenes, along with their dialogue options, L/S points, and influence effects WERE ALL REMOVED FROM THE GAME. If you're lucky, you get to hear a snippet of the original convo in a commlink voice over. A voice over from a character you've likely never met about an issue you have zero investment in.

Entire plots and characters and VA performances were just erased. Not fed into the holo completion system used when a group member turns something in and you're half a planet away, so you can appear as a holo and have the convo from anywhere. BW couldn't be bothered to use a system already in place for 4 years. They decided to ERASE STORY in their "STORY FOCUSED GAME" so people, who are supposedly joining the game to experience the story, could skip the story and finish the missions instantly.

Try to wrap your mind around that. Perceived desire for instant gratification conflicted with story focused game ... so the devs erased the story.

-They left the option to start the heroics with the original questgivers, despite also adding instant heroic pickup terminals everywhere, but removed the option to finish the heroics with those same questgivers.

-They already had the group holo conversation system that could have been adapted for solo use. They didn't use it.

-They added a companion system to the game that allows you to instantly teleport to the location of a particular questgiver from a dropdown menu that could have been adapted to a planetary mission list that did the same thing. They didn't use that.

-They added mission items that take you to mission start points anywhere in the game that could just as easily take you to the mission completion point when you were done. They didn't use them.

-They changed taxi hubs and QT points to instant discovery upon entry into an area and gave a legacy perk to reduce QT cooldown to essentially 0 seconds. They didn't use that, either.

-They went with option 'Z': remove story elements from the game and render storylines outside of the main character plots/KOTFE, essentially non-events. Some guy wants me to kill some other guys because who cares just give me the crate. #Betterthanspacebarringiguess

But they didn't just use this tactic with the teleport heroics. Go run the Black Hole daily area missions, for instance. The conclusion of the area for Imperials, where you speak with the general about killing Torvix: REMOVED. Now you just hand in the mission. WHY? This isn't an instant heroic mission. It can only be picked up through the convo with the general. What possible reason was there to remove the end cap convo for this series of missions? BW Answer: uh, who cares, NERD? Go grind more crates.

I heard you liked story so I put a few hours of NEW story in your game about story while quietly erasing hours upon hours of OLD story, resulting in a net-loss of STORY.
NEW & RETURNING PLAYERS CLICK THE REFERAL LINK FOR ONE FREE SERVER TRANSFER, A FREE 7 DAY SUB & USEFUL UNLOCK BUNDLES FOR ALL OF YOUR CHARACTERS! http://www.swtor.com/r/JbcDx4
Jedi Covenant || The Gallowglass Legacy

BrianDavion
01.22.2016 , 05:36 AM | #10
this sounds more like a bug then anything, I'd bug report it.

as for the Doc DS choice. this seems fair to me. every supplement in existance has been pretty open that the jedi code is not the light side. and breaking the jedi code is not automaticly dark side
SWTOR is not SWG. it was never intended to be at all like SWG. and having a completly differnt design philophesy then SWG will never be like SWG