Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What some don't understand about Neutrality.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
What some don't understand about Neutrality.

Zerosix's Avatar


Zerosix
12.26.2011 , 06:04 AM | #21
I've been pretty sad about the lack of neutral choices and to an extent gear for it. As a bounty hunter I've always went for credits choices and if there are no credits I kill them if they tried to kill me. Sadly there are a lot of Light or Dark only choices and many of those are not choices I would make, but I'm kinda forced to...

Robidius's Avatar


Robidius
12.26.2011 , 06:26 AM | #22
Not looking for neutral choices because that's a matter of perspective the outcomes you pick must lead somewhere, not nowhere. I'm more on the side of the original point in this thread about how it pertains to gear and how it kind of unfortunately seems to force people to meta game instead of making the choices they want to make. It would be nice if it scaled or something like I suggested earlier...perhaps

JimG's Avatar


JimG
12.26.2011 , 06:49 AM | #23
They've already said they plan to add some comparable "neutral" gear for those who want to play a neutral alignment. Moot point until we see what they come up with.

Tallian's Avatar


Tallian
12.26.2011 , 06:51 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
They've already said they plan to add some comparable "neutral" gear for those who want to play a neutral alignment. Moot point until we see what they come up with.
I wouldn't mind the lack of options like the light/darksiders have, but having those 2 open slots bugs me, and leaves me gimped. Not asking for special perks, just basic coverage.

snooggums's Avatar


snooggums
12.26.2011 , 08:55 AM | #25
The reason 'being neutral' is something you have to work for is that the morality scale in TOR is a lot of light, a sliver of neutral, and a lot of dark:


|--------------------light side-----------------|-neutral-|---------------------dark side-----------------|

Basically, you must make decisions to stay neutral at all times. The real problem is that it is too easy to flop between light and dark over a few levels and gear depends on this choice.

A true logical solution would be to either widen the neutral zone or not make light/dark matter until level II or III. That gives a chance for leaning towards one side instead of all or nothing.

Dannicus's Avatar


Dannicus
12.26.2011 , 10:04 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by snooggums View Post
The reason 'being neutral' is something you have to work for is that the morality scale in TOR is a lot of light, a sliver of neutral, and a lot of dark:


|--------------------light side-----------------|-neutral-|---------------------dark side-----------------|

Basically, you must make decisions to stay neutral at all times. The real problem is that it is too easy to flop between light and dark over a few levels and gear depends on this choice.

A true logical solution would be to either widen the neutral zone or not make light/dark matter until level II or III. That gives a chance for leaning towards one side instead of all or nothing.
The best way to do it would be to require so much light and so much dark while capping at one of the levels. Like maybe this neutral gear requires 2k light and 2k dark, but I cannot hit Rank 2 light or dark or I lose out on the gear, that makes it so I require getting points but must be careful not to over extend one side. This gives you your neutral range.

Lockyda's Avatar


Lockyda
12.26.2011 , 10:47 AM | #27
for Jedi's it's really only darkness or light...

The sweet whispers of darkside in your ear is oh so good... must kill...


For force users there is really no grey in starwars. Thats just how the force works. Granted for everyone else in the game...

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
12.26.2011 , 11:31 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tallian View Post
I WANT A RELIC!
Then either take up artifice for the level 400 recipes or go datacron hunting to get enough shards to make some relics from them. I believe the datacron relics are better than the alignment ones anyways.

snooggums's Avatar


snooggums
12.26.2011 , 01:46 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
The best way to do it would be to require so much light and so much dark while capping at one of the levels. Like maybe this neutral gear requires 2k light and 2k dark, but I cannot hit Rank 2 light or dark or I lose out on the gear, that makes it so I require getting points but must be careful not to over extend one side. This gives you your neutral range.
'Going neutral' makes zero logical sense on a decision by decision basis in any possible scenario in this game. The system is too simple to represent the kind of alignment you are trying for, and doing a mix of good and evil is actually evil in the greater scheme of things.

For example, if you want to be neutral, and you decide to kill some puppies and balance it with helping puppies at a later time, you are actually still evil because you killed puppies. The situations where there is a good reason to kill someone in one set of circumstances and save them in another simply aren't there in the available options because intent doesn't really matter.

The only reason for someone to end up neutral is because they are actively balancing their alignment externally from the decisions they are selecting. I'd love a more complex system that hid the alignment altogether (and removed alignment gear but NPCs responded to you based on your actions, such as making gear available due to reputation). That isn't in this game, and the players who are trying to be neutral are trying to force an ideal that doesn't fit into the alignment system.

There does need to be more gear without alignment restrictions that are equal to the alignment gear, don't get me wrong. I'm saying the 'problem' exists because players don't understand that they are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Meharial's Avatar


Meharial
12.26.2011 , 03:41 PM | #30
If you end up in a situation where intent doesn't matter, then your entire morality system is borked from the get go. Unfortunately in this game it isn't killing puppies vs not killing puppies, it's killing a traitor (DS) and then letting an informant live (DS), turning someone in (LS) and forcing someone to out the Republic (LS), i.e much more complex.

If anything it's BW trying to shove players into square holes labeled LS and DS, and providing very little options for anything else.