Character Transfers - Unintended Side Effect

KaellSolaris

Discount are nice, but sometime have bad side effect :

At this moment, most of the guild of my server ( Darth Nihilus ) have decided to transfer their character to Tomb of Freedom Naad, hoping for a better population, and leaving the rest of us to an " almost empty " server.

So here is my questions dear community manager :

Was this " massive migration " side effect (to gather a lot of player in a single location and depopulate other ones) intended to happen ?

Because at this moment if I want to play with a lot a people, I "need" to transfer to another server, because mine lose a big part of his lvl 60 population.

So what is going to happen to the one which didn't wanted to transfer their character and are now in a low population server ? Are we forced to follow the character transfer movement ? What kind of solution do you have for us ?

(And please don't tell us we can level up another character in a more populated place).

I doubt this was a goal of theirs.

But I also doubt that they didn't know it could happen.

The PvP servers have been dying for a long time, and if this moves their population around to either bolster one or two of the existing PvP servers or to move them all to PvE servers, it helps BW decide if (and in that case which) they need to shut down the really low pop PvP servers.

I don't think it was unintended at all. Obviously they are aware that many players on certain servers are unhappy. Obviously they are aware that these players have been calling for server mergers. So most likely this is just their way of doing a merger without actually doing a merger. In all reality, they are just letting people choose the server they want to be on and once all is said and done, they are simply going to shut down the "dead" servers and migrate anyone remaining to a predetermined server.

Claiming the discount is for people to be able to play the upcoming expansion with their friends is a bit too far gone for me to believe, after all, that's what the free transfers for refer a friend is for. However, this does make for a better PR blurb than "we are shutting down servers."

Some would say that this means server merges are coming. I can't imagine any other reason why they would do this. This would make a good first step.

Agreed. This gives the players options on where they go and when they go there. It also, to some degree, allows the players to determine which servers get shut down.

I think there is no question server mergers are coming. However, I also think that the influx of new players with the launch of the new xpac might make the timing a little weird.

Depop I think was definitely anticipated. And I think at least one or 2 servers may go away, I'm looking at you POT5. But any further shrinkage may seriously impact the increase pops especially in October.

So if they are going to do something they need to do it very soon.

Some would say that this means server merges are coming. I can't imagine any other reason why they would do this. This would make a good first step.

Well they did mention another reason for doing it. Lots of new players joining because of the E3 trailer and they want old, returning players to be able to transfer to the servers their friends or guilds are now on (since many returning have not played since before the server mergers).

Don't believe that new players are joining?

Tuesday night, I had ~5000 CC. Today I have 24.000+ CC. All from people using my referral link to join up and subscribe.

So at least 32 people have joined the game using my subscription link and subscribed within the last 3 days.

Since I get maby 3-5 people joining each month using my link, I'd say that's a pretty large increase. And it fits perfectly with the reveal of the new trailer (since the link gives 7 free days before they need to subscribe).

Was this " massive migration " side effect (to gather a lot of player in a single location and depopulate other ones) intended to happen ? [/i]

Yes. If and when they decide to shut down/merge servers, the fewer characters they have to move "for free" is good thing (for them). You can be assured this was not for players' benefit. The game is run to make money, not to make players happy.

Yes. If and when they decide to shut down/merge servers, the fewer characters they have to move "for free" is good thing (for them). You can be assured this was not for players' benefit. The game is run to make money, not to make players happy.

On most of your opinions, you are 8-9/10, MacMuffin (which I respect). Here is the same. The only disagreement in your statement is "not to make players happy". Trust me, they do want that.

On most of your opinions, you are 8-9/10, MacMuffin (which I respect). Here is the same. The only disagreement in your statement is "not to make players happy". Trust me, they do want that.

They want it to the extent that it is required to make money, If in some crazy hypothetical world they could make more money from miserable customers, they would do so. That's why monopolies are bad.

They want it to the extent that it is required to make money, If in some crazy hypothetical world they could make more money from miserable customers, they would do so. That's why monopolies are bad.

Don't be so cynical lol

Nothing on this? It's pretty crappy that the only PvP server no longer has any real PvP because someone started a rumor that Shadowlands has better PvP, so half the server moved there. Now the only people left are guilds that do nothing but premades and terrible solos that are too broke to afford a $1 transfer. I stuck around when Darth Xedrix was dying, and I for one don't want to go through that again, so now I have to go find a new server. Yay....

I am usually the last person to claim the sky is falling, and I tend to agree with the majority of changes BW makes with their game...

That said, this was a terrible idea, it is killing community, and it sure as hell feels entirely motivated by money. At this point, servers are going to die, and mergers will be required in order to not lose subscribers... >,>