Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Star Wars Books (And Books about Mandalorians)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Best Star Wars Books (And Books about Mandalorians)

paxaman
08.05.2014 , 07:51 PM | #1
So I was curious as to what you guys thought the best Star Wars books are. Right now I'm reading Darth Plagueis by James Luceno and it is fantastic.

I'm looking to read about the Mandalorians & I was curious what books I should pick up. I've heard you should definitely stay away from Karen Traviss as she is an awful author, but I was curious to see what you guys thought.

Any advice you guys have would be great.
"Do, or do not; there is no try." -Jedi Master Yoda.

Nalathemaster
08.05.2014 , 08:11 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by paxaman View Post
So I was curious as to what you guys thought the best Star Wars books are. Right now I'm reading Darth Plagueis by James Luceno and it is fantastic.

I'm looking to read about the Mandalorians & I was curious what books I should pick up. I've heard you should definitely stay away from Karen Traviss as she is an awful author, but I was curious to see what you guys thought.

Any advice you guys have would be great.
The beginning of Revan is pretty cool

Aurbere
08.05.2014 , 08:24 PM | #3
It's difficult to say what the best book is because that's fairly subjective. However, I can say that my favorite book is Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Mostly because of the development of the characters and the expansion on Dooku's relationship with Yoda. In Dark Rendezvous, we get to see the depth of Yoda's character and how much he cares for his fellow Jedi, even the ones that fall from grace.

We get introduced to good characters like Scout, who has a heart as large as her name, and Jai Maruk, who is pretty much the Darth Maul of the Jedi (trained his body into a living weapon).

On the whole, Dark Rendezvous is a great book if you have any interest in Yoda and Dooku.

Of course this was all before TCW did everything it could to retcon their characters.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Nickious
08.05.2014 , 08:29 PM | #4
Thrawn trilogy is one of my favorites. Introduces Mara Jade, Thrawn, Paellon, Talon Karrade, as well as the Solo twins.

I like the FoTJ series. Really long series though and the books are thick as all get up. Some are more interesting than others but overall worth a read. Named one of my characters in game after the female anti-hero, Vestara Khai.

As far as mandolorian books, I haven't really read beyond some Boba Fett bounty tales, and one Karen Travis Republic Commando book.

StarSquirrel
08.05.2014 , 10:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by paxaman View Post
I'm looking to read about the Mandalorians & I was curious what books I should pick up. I've heard you should definitely stay away from Karen Traviss as she is an awful author, but I was curious to see what you guys thought
Whoever said that is pretty much an idiot or really hates Mandalorians so if your interest is indeed Mandalorians I'd ignore this guy as he obviously has no sense or is trying to troll you.

Karen Traviss is responsible for the majority of cultural knowledge and linguistics/words we have in Mandalorian in the EU. Her Republic Commando series is stellar and her work in the Legacy series was great (though it is definitely more Mandalorian heavy than the other books).

Knights of the Old Republic Graphic Novels were also fantastic.

As for my favorite ever, it is definitely the X-wing series both the Rouge and Wraith squadron books. Republic Commando series comes a close second and is by far the best look at Mandalorian culture in all the EU.
I know if you look deep into your heart- which is currently all over that tree- you'll find a way to forgive me.

Aww, geez you look like a puppy! A blonde, eviscerated puppy!

-Alucard

paxaman
08.05.2014 , 10:54 PM | #6
Thanks for the information guys I appreciate it. Will check out some of this good literature and let you know what I think.
"Do, or do not; there is no try." -Jedi Master Yoda.

JeffrenBrek
08.06.2014 , 06:11 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
Whoever said that is pretty much an idiot or really hates Mandalorians so if your interest is indeed Mandalorians I'd ignore this guy as he obviously has no sense or is trying to troll you.

Karen Traviss is responsible for the majority of cultural knowledge and linguistics/words we have in Mandalorian in the EU. Her Republic Commando series is stellar and her work in the Legacy series was great (though it is definitely more Mandalorian heavy than the other books).

Her first Republic Commando novel was awesome. Then she completely lost herself in Mandalorian-love and the series turned bad. Likewise, her dislike (mildly) for Jedi is also well documented.

As for the books, I still think New Jedi Order series is probably the pinnacle of the books, but of course very long.

Edit: If you like Mandalorians, Legacy of the Force has a whole lot of Mandalorians (though unnecessarily so, but that series won't make much sense if you haven't read NJO)

jayperringo
08.06.2014 , 06:15 AM | #8
Well not that it's about Mandalorians per se but their is a pretty cool Mandalorian in Fatal Alliance which is a SWTOR book. Dao Stryver is the gentleman in queston.

Selenial
08.06.2014 , 06:53 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post

Knights of the Old Republic Graphic Novels were also fantastic.

As for my favorite ever, it is definitely the X-wing series both the Rouge and Wraith squadron books. Republic Commando series comes a close second and is by far the best look at Mandalorian culture in all the EU.
Karen Traviss is a horrendous writer, unless you have a love of Mandalorians that is enough to blind you to all the reasons everyone else hates her. If you are that fortunate, more power to you.

But yeh, she's pretty much the most hated Star Wars Author.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
CelÚna Mercenary Cathinka Seeliara Sage

TheEgoShow
08.06.2014 , 09:22 AM | #10
I've read all 3 Darth Bane books and I'm currently reading "Kenobi". Plan on getting to Thrawn soon.