Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you feel about time to kill in GSF?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How do you feel about time to kill in GSF?

Nemarus
06.19.2014 , 02:57 PM | #1
This is going to be extremely unscientific, but in general, how do you feel about time to kill (TTK) in GSF?

TTK represents the window of time that starts when you are first aware someone is trying to kill you, and ends when they succeed and you die. Do you feel like you have enough time to meaningfully react?

Obviously impressions will vary based on not only what ship you are flying, but what ship/weapon is trying to kill you. Feel free to call out how you feel about different matchups, but I'm also curious how everyone feels about the overall average TTK, if such a thing can be judged.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Fractalsponge
06.19.2014 , 03:15 PM | #2
Strikes and bombers give you plenty of time to do something. I might not always get away, but generally speaking I'll have time to not be surprised by my demise.

Scouts will melt quickly, but that's the nature of the class. No real complaints there. I was almost never one-shot even before the bypass nerf, and it's a very rare occurrence for me to die from half health suddenly to railgun. Almost always, I'll see it coming.

In my gunship, I'll need to be distracted badly by zoom to not have any chance to hit a cooldown.

So, in general, TTK is fine in my mind except when BO/TT+CF are up on a burst laser scout. That's pretty much the only combo that gives even a top pilot almost no chance to react. I tend to think BO needs only minor tweaks, if any. The big culprit is concentrated fire, and to a lesser extend targeting telemetry. The uptime on CF is bad, but when you have it with TT (which is amazingly long lasting), you get a 50% chance to crit with the burstiest close-range weapon in the game. High crit chance like that *may* be acceptable for a very finicky weapon, but it is trivial to hit with BLC, especially with TT's base accuracy improvement. I have no problems at all with the base BLC weapon, except that I think it's BS that it's the only weapon that doesn't seem to have a super close range accuracy penalty.

If concentrated fire increased crit chance much less, but boosted something else (rate of fire maybe?), then I think we're getting pretty closed to balancing the battlescout.

For the record, my sting uses booster recharge and a defensive crew skill.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Slivovidze
06.19.2014 , 03:40 PM | #3
When I mained NovaDive, TTK was either really really short or I managed to escape (and I won't count death from another attack one minute later into TTK). It felt alright, since escaping is life in Nova, so short TTK was justified well.

Now I main Clarion, and TTK is close to infinite. I can put power to shields, kill engine, put all shields into aft, and let some poor cattlescout shoot into my butt while I lock torpedo on something 8k away, then just power dive away when he breaches first arc.
Or I can put all shields in fore arc and literally charge gunship that is shooting me. I survive these insane situations more often than not.
I know it is not what a good pilot would do, but I just do these stunts because reasons and they often work, even against aces. (of course, as soon as someone brings Bypass, I am done)
I won't say that I don't feel awesome playing like that, but sometimes it feels unfair. Time to kill my stationary Clarion seems over the top, but on the other hand it is its only strength. I win my battles simply by tanking multiple enemies until they make mistake or run out of power or my teammates get them. My average damage received per battle is 24k, lately it is more like nearly 30k, with mostly 3 deaths per battle.

My only issue with TTK is probably that those new guys with their Blackbolts don't really have chance to solo kill me, because these basic scouts just do not have anything to scratch a Clarion with brutal shielding. I feel bad for them.
In balanced games though, TTK is a no-issue thing, well balanced.
Sunrage of The Progenitor

Altheran
06.19.2014 , 04:10 PM | #4
Frankly ? I think it's too short in one hand, okay in the other hand.

Every ship can potentially kill another ship in 3s (after initial hit), even strikes attacking strikes. That's short, there's no other word.

But not only it's short, sometimes even getting out of deep S will get you severely punished, even with lightning reflexes. There are occasions where you are hugely damage by the alpha strike... No escape.

In some circonstances, these short TTK can lead to extreme frustration, as we have seen with SIM during their glory time, or "Gunship walls", or "Scout multi CD blowing", to give a few examples. Some are caused by a single opponent, other by group play. But fact is they frustrate people because they allow little to no counterplay.

However, this short TTK is also part of immersion... So far, in Star Wars movies, ships gets blown in one two shot. Extending the TTK may remove "the feel".

IMO, if anything should be done, it is taking care of over punitive alpha strikes (here meaning "everything that may be able to deal serious hull damage to a fresh ship in a relatively simply way for the attacker").
That way, the TTK remains short under sustained aggression for the immersion, but may leave more room for defense. More defense usually means longer effective TTK since it would be slightly more difficult to do real damage, the damage to hull.

TrinityLyre
06.19.2014 , 05:49 PM | #5
It's fine if you remove TT/BO+CF (and to a lesser extent, pods/quads) instant kills and slug railgun one shots. I don't think I've seen anything else that qualifies as "stupid" in my book. TTK feels reasonable with just about everything else.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Spouse Aggro
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

LilSaihah
06.19.2014 , 07:21 PM | #6
Personally, I'm more or less fine with TTK for most ships except for CD stacking battlescouts. Sometimes TTK can be frustratingly long, but that's probably because I'm targeting battlescouts while flying a Thermite/MLC bloodmark, so missile breaks are more or less my kryptonite.

So yeah. Most elements of the game seem healthy, except for the 1 minute wonder battlescouts. SIM bombers were a problem, but I'm not sure whether they're still one after the Interdiction nerf.

Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
It's fine if you remove TT/BO+CF (and to a lesser extent, pods/quads) instant kills and slug railgun one shots. I don't think I've seen anything else that qualifies as "stupid" in my book. TTK feels reasonable with just about everything else.
I don't think I mind quads; while they do a nice big pile of damage, they can't natively pierce shields or armor and have no accuracy boost, so their strength is counterbalanced by being unable to really counter anything. I'd say the same for pods, but they get shield and armor pen by default.

While Slugs can drop a huge pile of damage, it's unlikely to oneshot anything that isn't already crippled, and evasive play can prevent them from killing you on their own.
The Ebon Hawk
Sarrina | Nazani
Erinya | Tinaria | Laife

Danalon
06.19.2014 , 09:50 PM | #7
I'm playing different games and I prefer shooter-like PvP over RPG-like. I like low TTK as long as it's not instagibbing and I don't like if there's too much CC involved.
Also I prefer when skill has more impact on the game than gear.
Imho GSF has all this.

Luneward
06.19.2014 , 10:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
While Slugs can drop a huge pile of damage, it's unlikely to oneshot anything that isn't already crippled, and evasive play can prevent them from killing you on their own.
But they can oneshot certain scout builds. It's a rare outlier (Requiring weaker shield build, full charge, and a crit), but can happen. My opinion is gunship TTK is more about psychological warfare than anything else. Then again, I use a slightly different definition of TTK than Nem does. My definition involves when they start trying to kill you rather than when you become aware. They could probably stand to have quicker charge time but less damage per shot to equalize it a bit more.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

LilSaihah
06.20.2014 , 12:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
But they can oneshot certain scout builds. It's a rare outlier (Requiring weaker shield build, full charge, and a crit), but can happen. My opinion is gunship TTK is more about psychological warfare than anything else. Then again, I use a slightly different definition of TTK than Nem does. My definition involves when they start trying to kill you rather than when you become aware. They could probably stand to have quicker charge time but less damage per shot to equalize it a bit more.
The circumstance that an evasion-focused scout, of which one variety is arguably the best ship in the game (or at least TDM), can be eliminated by an 8% chance to crit, seems to me like a pretty huge outlier and no reason to make a change to the tempo of a ship line's core weapon. If you get tagged with a Slug crit as an evasion scout, you are the victim of some pretty bad luck and some pretty bad situational awareness.
The Ebon Hawk
Sarrina | Nazani
Erinya | Tinaria | Laife

Altheran
06.20.2014 , 01:32 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
If you get tagged with a Slug crit as an evasion scout, you are the victim of some pretty bad luck and some pretty bad situational awareness.
Bad luck ? Definitely.
(By the way, the crit chance is not 8%, but 16%)

Bad situational awareness ? No.
People get hit by things. Whether it be from cannons or rails, people are hit because they can't know everything happening.
And once you've been hit, you can't do anything but observe what it has done to you, hence why some people being not fond of things that can kill you or seriously damage you without even letting you do anything.