Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness Sorcerer Guide by Milas [post 2.8]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Madness Sorcerer Guide by Milas [post 2.8]

ML_DoubleTap
06.16.2014 , 07:35 AM | #21
I've improved my Sage a ton just by looking at your parses, looking forward to reading your guide now Thanks for pointing me to it.

This is my best Sage parse so far...not sure I can go much further with the gear I have on this toon. http://www.torparse.com/a/697633/tim...485/0/Overview
Bonkurz

JDotter
06.16.2014 , 10:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CrisisofID View Post
Nice Guide, thanks!

Thoughts on BW saying we Sorc DPS shouldnt be using our SB because there is no need?

For the NiM Fights, given our self-heals (For madness anyway) you not find points in the now Tier 1 Empty Body is more useful than the points in Convection?

I think they are silly in saying that. While its not needed off lockout it is 100% viable when you know 100% there is incoming damage.

I would never put points in empty body over anything in the left tree tier 1. Convection adds 4% to what equates to roughly 30% of your damage over a parse.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr_Fuzzle View Post
I'll be the counterpoint to you on that. I'll agree for most fights madness is simply better. Nefra, Grob'thok, Brontes, Tyrans, Raptus and the Council heavily favor Madness due to the relative lack of frequent target switching and occasional need for mobility. Calphayus definitely favors Lightning due the needed to burst down adds. Draxus has a lot of target switching and the more frequent AoE from Chain Lightning favors Lightning. Corruptor zero, no doubt about it favors lightning. That leaves Bestia and with the additional adds in NiM I'd say Lightning has the edge but barely. Either way, you can get away with playing either spec for these fights, just certain fights are slightly more difficult with one over the other.

Calphayus honestly doesn't really any burn phases in NM

Black balls - 12-15 second window to kill ( 70% dot efficiency)
Final burn you are able to pre dot and start with a DF-FL.
Only benefit is left side of past/present phase and those adds are meaningless.

Draxxus was one of the one I put in pro lighting although affliction + CT can be put up on boss for full duration and DF + FL on add you are burning. Also really friendly in the guardian waves. If I get footage of the fight people would be surprised how effective madness is on the fight.

Zero, Yes and no. If you follow the los and stack all the things yes if not dotting zero and the gold is good while you burn the other adds.

Bestia NM only things that get stacked our monster + tentacle + larva ( assuming other tank doesn't grab them) Affliction/CT on boss while burning monsters is amazing and helpful for when you get 20 second window before soft enrage.

Quote: Originally Posted by ML_DoubleTap View Post
I've improved my Sage a ton just by looking at your parses, looking forward to reading your guide now Thanks for pointing me to it.

This is my best Sage parse so far...not sure I can go much further with the gear I have on this toon. http://www.torparse.com/a/697633/tim...485/0/Overview
Congratulations and np.

JDotter
06.16.2014 , 10:47 AM | #23
Also expect PoV of all of NM DP sometime this week.

KeyboardNinja
06.16.2014 , 11:48 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Citruzz View Post
bestia is first of all a single target dps check. For sure, aoe is recommanded in p1, but the real thing beginns after all adds are defeaded.
I'm not sure I agree with that, actually. I think it probably depends on how you deal with tentacles and monsters. In my experience, if you have the DPS to beat the first phase, then you will have absolutely no problem with the remainder of the fight. My guild took a little while to figure out how to get past the 70 second mark, but the very first time we did, we one-shot the remainder of the fight without even discussing the late-phase mechanics.

Having AoE on that fight makes a lot of things much, much easier. You can, for example, keep your DPS full time on the monsters without ever really focusing on larva or tentacles. We did this by using a focus sentinel (splash the tentacle, focus the monster) and a sab slinger (wall bang and incendiary grenade the larva, focus the monster).

Can you treat it as a purely single-target fight? Yes. If you have all four of your DPS in high-sustain, low setup specs, you should have no trouble pulling people off to single down various things. It's perfectly viable to go much more AoE heavy though, you just have to alter your first phase strat to take advantage.

Given that lightning is capable of pulling within about 3% of Madness in terms of single-target output, has dramatically higher burst and lower setup time, I think that it has the edge in this fight. That's not to say Madness isn't viable, but I think that given equal skill in both specs, Lightning would win out.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

a_Sureshot
06.17.2014 , 02:12 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by JDotter View Post
Also expect PoV of all of NM DP sometime this week.
Just hope that another 8 man downs the content so i can see your skills.
Jurbeke

Severity Gaming
Provectus

JDotter
06.19.2014 , 01:48 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by a_Sureshot View Post
Just hope that another 8 man downs the content so i can see your skills.
Thursday though I'll be on sorc #2. I had footage I thought but I guess trial bandicam only gives you 10 minutes of record time so welp.

TheWookiee
06.19.2014 , 09:34 AM | #27
I have consistently parsed higher with the following rotation:
Opener: CD>AF>CT>(Recklessness)DF>(Polarity Shift)FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)
Main rotation: CD(Wrath Proc)>DF>AF>CT>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS> repeat.

I was hitting higher parses using Crushing Darkness before Death Field and Affliction and Creeping Terror after. I do not use Adrenals when parsing but i managed a 3913 parse with this combo. Low parse out of 12 or so was 3674. The highest I managed with the rotation in the OP was just over 3700. Of course this numbers may have just been based on luckier crits, but it seems to me throwing down AF and CT after a DF would be better for the death mark buff.

Aetrus
06.19.2014 , 12:34 PM | #28
Have you guys experienced when you clip your FL too early, around 1 second left on the channel, your Wrath stacks will be consumed but you'll go into a 1.4 second casted LS anyway. What's happening on that? Are you getting 2 LS off in one GCD or is it consuming your Wrath procs without giving you the benefit of instant cast?
Max Out Your Affection with Aetrus
Aetrus
<Vicious>

Synergy
<Shots Fired>

Stormhuntr
06.19.2014 , 12:45 PM | #29
Not a bad guide. I will say I use a different spec. I run a 3/7/36 spec, but it differs a bit. This spec also is better on maintaining force.
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...ZcMfRsrkrfRo.3

The talent points into Subversion allows me to be more aggressive with LS. As far as my rotation
CD (hard cast) --> DF --> CT -->Aff. --> FL (3 stack) --> LS --> FL (same) --> LS then FL (3 stack) CD --> DF then when aff. and CT run out i reapply. I try to use reckless with DF and pair polarity shift with FL and LS to get some solid burst in. I will note that I use the timers in parsec. to time my dots. On a dummy im running about 3800.
Madness/hybrid dps
~ Dark Eclipse ~

16 mans HM/NiM and beyond

ceazare
06.19.2014 , 02:11 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetrus View Post
Have you guys experienced when you clip your FL too early, around 1 second left on the channel, your Wrath stacks will be consumed but you'll go into a 1.4 second casted LS anyway. What's happening on that? Are you getting 2 LS off in one GCD or is it consuming your Wrath procs without giving you the benefit of instant cast?
It's a UI bug and it happens because server and client are slightly out of sync. What actually happens is that LS is instant, but the cast is a fake. Also sometimes if you do FL immediately after you won't see the channel, but still get wrath stacks.
Pelara <Titans>
The Red Eclipse