Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do you like/dislike about the crew skill system in SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
What do you like/dislike about the crew skill system in SWTOR?

JouerTue
05.05.2014 , 07:59 AM | #11
i like the que system in crafting..sometimes i desire to que gathering aswell but i see why it's not possible, and leaving comps at work is awesome.

i like how schematics work and the REing to get improved items or reusable or endgame schematics, even if raiders are a bit advantaged from the drops..you should be able to RE comms implants etc.

i don't like not being able to find on the field rare mats..levelled 11 chars and all the crew skills,it happened only once to not be ages behind craft and gathering, with the mission crew skill(UW trading, investigation etc.).

i want the pvp shells back..i cannot find how to craft like i used to do with EWH or BM

i want pvp crystals..i can be dumb but i cannot find how to craft them.

psandak
05.05.2014 , 09:47 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by facesofderek View Post
I dislike that my non Bio crew skills have no real use outside of crafting augments.
OK so you are concerned about the number of "desirable" crafted items per crafting skill. I get that. However in my experience, most MMOs have the same "problem;" not every crafting skill has the same number of desirable items and some by a wide margin; and not all crafted items are desirable. So I guess I am just used to it and have adapted.

Furthermore, those augments are VERY desirable and profitable, so I do not care if the crafting skills are unbalanced with respect to number of desirable items. Sometimes less is more.

psandak
05.05.2014 , 09:48 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
i want pvp crystals..i can be dumb but i cannot find how to craft them.
PvP vendor next to the terminal sells some schematics.

DarthTHC
05.05.2014 , 11:20 AM | #14
I wish there were a way to differentiate the stuff you made or gathered, other than price.

This was the coolest thing about SWG, early on. Raw materials had attributes and different spawns had different levels of each. Those attributes impacted the quality of the things made from them.

The expert crafter who put time into learning the system could create items of significantly greater quality than the lazy crafter who barely tried.

In this game, we gather or mission up materials, we make stuff, we post for a bit less than the prices we see posted currently, and we hope that someone wants to buy before the next seller comes along and undercuts us. That's not challenging or fun or rewarding.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Yeric
05.05.2014 , 11:30 AM | #15
I am not a pvp or raid player. And I understand that limits me in a pvp game. Being able to craft gear is quite a feature. I can do this without being in a group or running quests. The way it is sold it is a very complex thing to master. The way it is sold a player character has to be matched to the right crew skill to get the best use of companions. The way it is sold you can get the best rate of success from gathering by giving your companions gifts.

However after doing all that with my four main crafters I find out all that enhancement stuff is not really in the game. I have seen other posters refer to that as being broken and not going to be fixed. That is just swell.

The drop rate for materials is low. I am an older fella and this is not my first game. I understand grind. Grind is not the word I use when I am trying to get materials. The fun aspect is becoming less and less with this game. I know my options and I will chose one someday.

chillshock
05.06.2014 , 03:59 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by caronome View Post
There is a lot to like.
I wish crafting provided more of an alternative progression and gameplay for customers not into operations.

logging off one character and onto another is frustratingly slow.
This.

I would love to see something ACTIVE for crafters. Some way to challenge solo players... via crafting... to enable them to craft really valueable stuff without raiding. Like... solo instance mission that can be found with the support-skill for the crafting skill. Not easy... max 2 player instances that can be reached with the player ship...

"Coordinates of the derelict Smugglers ship" -> gp there and ... fight some Pirates... and get some Items that you can then 'imbue' on stuff to increase it's itemlevel? (i.e.).
"Lost ruins of Nada Is'There" .... go and fight the sithspawn for sithspawn-hearts.
"Stardust-Cloud" ... minerals

And so on...

So you have to spend some time and effort as a PLAYER to actually build the awesome stuff. And to use the ship and to play the character and use the crew-skills.

To really make it an alternative it would have to put the raiding on cooldown, though. The missions... And be put on Cooldown by raiding... (but NOT running the missions themselves!).

Cleet_Xia
05.09.2014 , 01:40 AM | #17
Overall, I've had good experiences with the crafting system, and have participated in all of the crafts. My likes are many. I only have one real complaint about the system. Which is the way it mangles the organization of artifact grade items other than the item mods.

As far as improvements to the system I would like to see...
1) more orange modable recipes for armstech, armormech, artifice, and synth ~ it's been too long, and there havn't been enough updates.
2) more of the oddball mats from hardmodes & ops available for direct purchase with comms, a la the way baradium flux is sold. The price of those mats on the GTN shouldn't be controlled by how many people are raiding.
3) cybertech get a variety of new speeders added.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

chillshock
05.09.2014 , 01:48 AM | #18
Oh, I noticed something I'd LOVE to see changed (besides the "logging through all your alts faster than the loading allows"):

The craftting windows should:
a) remember their settings (i.e. sort by level)
b) have filters for min level - max level, name
c) have a preview rendered
d) get the materials from the soon-to-be-legacy bank

scarlet_magpie
05.14.2014 , 06:39 AM | #19
I have no real beefs with the system as it is, although as a poster above mentioned, it is a little awkward, and sometimes searching by level and sending multiple alts comps on missions to craft a bunch of mods, implants, hilts, barrels and crystals can involve a big sheet of paper and a few hours of faffing about logging in/out etc.

I would really like to see missions along the lines of the GSI ones that involve seeking out rare/unusual schematics and rare mats for crafting. It could be a new faction called the Tinkerers, a set of Jawas who have hidden their inventions across the galaxy where they await discovery by the eager agents of the republic and empire!

I'd also like to have a much higher RE rate on garbage levelling crafted items, even if it was balanced with a reduced rate on blues (green- 40% to Blue 10% for example), just to enable us to recoup a little cash along the way.

psandak
05.14.2014 , 07:42 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by scarlet_magpie View Post
I have no real beefs with the system as it is, although as a poster above mentioned, it is a little awkward, and sometimes searching by level and sending multiple alts comps on missions to craft a bunch of mods, implants, hilts, barrels and crystals can involve a big sheet of paper and a few hours of faffing about logging in/out etc.

I would really like to see missions along the lines of the GSI ones that involve seeking out rare/unusual schematics and rare mats for crafting. It could be a new faction called the Tinkerers, a set of Jawas who have hidden their inventions across the galaxy where they await discovery by the eager agents of the republic and empire!

I'd also like to have a much higher RE rate on garbage levelling crafted items, even if it was balanced with a reduced rate on blues (green- 40% to Blue 10% for example), just to enable us to recoup a little cash along the way.
And this is why no current MMO will ever please everyone...
I cringe at the remotest possibility of the highlighted happening. I did some of the GSI BS (that's right Bullsh**) on one character, thought "finally, finally, finally, this is over." but nuh-uh...I got three more quest on three other planets...I stopped right then and there and SWORE I would never touch that BS again. The Macro-binocular quest in the Rakghoul area was the one I dreaded the most (I spent more time on that one quest than the others combined most days). I would HATE it if ay truly desirable schematic had to be grinded in that way.