Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do you like/dislike about the crew skill system in SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
What do you like/dislike about the crew skill system in SWTOR?

psandak
05.02.2014 , 03:13 PM | #1
I have been playing MMOs for close to 15 years now and have gotten deeply involved in several of their crafting systems. All the crafting systems I have played have their positive and negative points. But what is positive to one player might be negative to another.

So I ask this question in all seriousness: what is it that you like and dislike about the crew skills system in SWTOR? And please qualify your answers; explain WHY you like or dislike something (and do not just say, "because it sux" because that is not a qualification: why does it suck?)

What I like is:
- the crafting and mission queues: the fact that companions do all the work pleases me greatly for two reasons:
  1. While I am signed on I can play the game while my companions gather materials and/or craft stuff; I do not have to stand around and craft or "farm" materials in the field.
  2. And when I am about to logoff I can send my companions off to gather materials and craft stuff so when I log back on it's all there waiting for me.
- the fact that most of the schematics are trained/easily acquired and not found: It may sound funny but I like the fact that anyone can learn all the desirable schematics via trainer and/or reverse engineering and/or the randomly generated schematics are common enough that they are readily available on the GTN (augments I am looking at you ). It is simply a matter of the player deciding to put in the resources
- the fact that ALL the basic materials are easy to acquire: again all a player has to do is put in the resources to acquire them.
- the fact that ALL the more "exotic" materials take some effort to acquire: whether it's acquiring enough credits to buy the materials from someone else or doing content oneself, special materials are not easy to acquire.

In short, the ease with which one can jump into the crew skill system, makes me .

What I do not like is:
- the disorganized crafting window: yes there are work-arounds and with a little knowledge it is not terribly difficult to locate a specific schematic among hundreds, but a better (schematic tree) interface and/or more filters and/or a text search parameter would be appreciated.

What I am OK with (but would not be adverse to seeing changed) is:
- the mission selection options: I have said it many times that as a subscriber with each character having three crew skills, it is not hard to find enough missions and crafting to avoid the relog dance. But to know I could do the missions I want to do (AKA the Rich quality missions) whenever I log in would be appreciated.

StrikePrice
05.02.2014 , 09:31 PM | #2
I wish end-game applicability of crew skills was more balanced.

psandak
05.02.2014 , 09:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by StrikePrice View Post
I wish end-game applicability of crew skills was more balanced.
Please elaborate. What do you mean by "more balanced?" That phrase can mean any number of different things to different people.

ScarletBlaze
05.03.2014 , 01:49 AM | #4
Most of the crew skill system is okay with me but the one major thing I wish they would change

Is when you make the clothing (syn or armormech) I wish there was a way to make things a different color when crafting (without adding the dyes) and that there was a variety of colors that you could choose from.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: A Time for Renewal[ https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/sK3jz376Zu8

Hoshkar
05.03.2014 , 10:32 AM | #5
Be nice if they did something to make some of the crafting skills not so worthless. They can make some credits, even pretty good amounts once you are 450 with the right schematics. Some of them till then though are just huge money sinks. Such as low level crystals, green and blue pieces of armor and green and blue weapons. Can mostly thank the ease of getting orange items + mods to that, and the cartel market crystals that you can ride from 10-55.

My hopes are they will add schematics for the strong holds to the crafts that are currently lacking to give them a boost in the useful department.

I do enjoy how it is done with the companions, it is something new to me, and I have played a lot of MMOs. Maybe a better way to customize the ship droid for crafting would be pretty nice. Right now his choice in sensor units isn't really that great.

We all know a better RE chance would be nice
New to the game? (Get a free starter pack!!!) Just coming back to the game after 90+ days? (Get a 7 day subscription, a bundle pack and 1 character transfer!!!) Feel free to use me as a Referral! (CLICK HERE)

LordElpus
05.03.2014 , 10:34 AM | #6
Being able to craft tanking mods whilst leveling would be nice

Dreadlordwisco
05.04.2014 , 12:56 AM | #7
being able to craft end game stuff without having to farm schematics, and end game pvp gear so that you can actually earn credits.
Ebon Hawk's Most Infamous!
~Morderca I Blasphemer I Maszyna I Barantos
Grand Imperial Wizard of <ReCon>

Roughneck
05.04.2014 , 02:39 AM | #8
When you released HK compagnion its difficult to keep him up to gear, cause every armor mods has to be crafted.

I understand there should be some limitations, but they should add to the Legs, Pants, Body, ... a armor piece that you can use those too in one type of Droid part, like, Motor, Parts, ...
Kor'anor: Lighting Sorcerer (lvl60)
Wolf'anor: Marksman Sniper (lvl60)

Other games: http://warofdragons.com/register.php?referrer=Nighthawk

facesofderek
05.04.2014 , 07:50 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Please elaborate. What do you mean by "more balanced?" That phrase can mean any number of different things to different people.
I dislike that my non Bio crew skills have no real use outside of crafting augments.

caronome
05.05.2014 , 03:12 AM | #10
There is a lot to like.

Dislikes:

SWTOR, like most MMOs, really favors raiders(oppers?) for the crafting. Raiders/PvPers should get the rare and valuable materials as rewards. But being able to craft the gear is something that has far more appeal to the crafters than many raiders. Some are interested and excel at both but frequently people who craft are not that into ops and vice versa.

I wish crafting provided more of an alternative progression and gameplay for customers not into operations.

---

I understand the economic reasons why you can't queue up hundreds of crew missions. But even on my 60mbps, 16GB RAM, 2x2GB VRAM, SSD machine logging off one character and onto another is frustratingly slow. So I would like to be able to send alt's crew out while I am on without having to log out then onto alt then out then back onto main. Or an iPad app, even if it only worked when I was logged into the game on PC (if you are worried about inflation from extra crew missions from people at work/school.)