Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a reason to use any crystal besides Hawkeye in PvE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Is there a reason to use any crystal besides Hawkeye in PvE?

SW_display_name
05.02.2014 , 08:26 AM | #1
Was going to put this in New Players, but since it's so group-PvE-performance oriented I figured the Raids & Dungeons crowd would be a better match.

So, I really like Color Crystals. I like crafting them. I like Collecting them. They are the rare Pokémon of my SWTOR experience — elusive, expensive, but so satisfying to capture the ones you're missing.

I used to try to get 1 of each type of Collectible crystal, but lately I've been wondering if there's really a point.

Basically — if you have a Hawkeye collected, is there any reason to buy Indestructible or Eviscerating? My thoughts are:
  • Power is always better for Healers
  • Power is always better for DPS
  • As a Tank it really doesn't matter if you have +/- 41 Endurance since raw Health isn't effective for Tanking the way Power/Crit are for Heals/DPS; ie, -41 Power means a lot more to Heals than -41 End +41 Power to a Tank, because excessive End is basically ~totally useless for Heals/DPS in PvE while extra Power is still beneficial when tanking (bigger defensive effects if applicable + more Threat + more DPS).

So I'm thinking of just ditching the Crit and End crystals and focusing on only collecting Hawkeyes. But SWTOR's stat system surprises me sometimes (like how punishing it turned out to be, to wear a full Tank set while DPSing).

I guess to summarize, my 2 questions are:
  • Is it 'okay' for a Tank to run with a Hawkeye crystal?
  • Is there ever any reason to use a Crit crystal instead of a Power crystal?

THoK-Zeus
05.02.2014 , 08:30 AM | #2
Answers:
- Don't take Hawkeye Crystals as a tank. It's generally not okay.
- If you don't have enough crit rating (some classes optimally have ~500 crit rating on their gear), a crit crystal is an easy way to get crit rating
Zahik - DiLiH - The Red Eclipse

RikuvonDrake
05.02.2014 , 10:13 AM | #3
To elaborate a bit regarding crit for DPS, some speccs does benefit from a little crit rating in their gear and instead of using a mod slot, which would give you a total of 75 crit which is too much,, you can use one color crystal which gives you 41. For example, I enjoy playing hybrid slinger/sniper, combat sentinel and there you benefit from a bit of crit and to find the perfect balance you can use color crystals to find that.
Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Moradeth
05.02.2014 , 10:14 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by THoK-Zeus View Post
Answers:
I dunno... it's starting to lean that way for Juggs

Khevar
05.02.2014 , 11:06 AM | #5
Interesting question. I have some +power and +endurance crystals unlocked in my collections. I always use +power on my tanks (on my third at the moment) until they reach 55, then switch to +endurance.

With taunt fluffing, I don't have problems holding threat, so it's not like I need +power for that. And if we're hitting enrage, it's not because my dps as a tank wasn't enough.

So I guess I'd rather go for the endurance.

AAAAzrael
05.02.2014 , 11:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Moradeth View Post
I dunno... it's starting to lean that way for Juggs
I use power on my guardian ALT (cleared 4/5 NiM DF) and endurance on my shadow. Guardian threat is worse plus I'm far worse at playing guardian so every little bit more helps plus it improves mitigation. With health pool over 40k I'm not too bothered to get more.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley The Eternal Warrior
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

Leafy_Bug
05.02.2014 , 12:01 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by THoK-Zeus View Post
Answers:
- If you don't have enough crit rating (some classes optimally have ~500 crit rating on their gear), a crit crystal is an easy way to get crit rating

Blashphemy! I need my saber crystal to match my outfit of course I will use Hawkeye, all my other classes use it!!! Many swags on white crystals ./shoo

Loc_n_lol
05.03.2014 , 05:16 PM | #8
A tank's main stat is ego, and ego is directly proportional to the size of your HP bar.

The more important-looking your tank is, the better they are at their job.
True facts.
The Red Eclipse
Jayçey - Gol'dy - Raibbach - Locnlol - Rex'Power'Colt - Ki'Sazen
Nyctis - Dre'xin - Jaegerk - Nahzeer - Pan'thera - Crystei

Khevar
05.03.2014 , 08:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Loc_n_lol View Post
The more important-looking your tank is, the better they are at their job.
This is why I picked body type 1 for my main tank -- he's compensating for something ...

DawnAskham
05.04.2014 , 09:08 AM | #10
Usually Hawkeye are the most expensive, and it isn't a bad stat to use for any character so getting these first is a no brainer.

And while the others aren't free, you can usually find them for pretty cheap (compared to Hawkeye) and simply pick them up over time.

Either way, I not sure even in NiM progression it would really matter that much if you used all Hawkeye on every character, and it certainly won't matter in all other content.

Your question does beg two other questions though:

Why not remove stats / level requirements from color crystals as originally proposed and let players simply pick the color they want without them worrying about stats or level requirements?

Are secondary stats ever going to be re-balanced so min / maxing isn't just 'cap accuracy, stack power' and requires some bit of thought, theory-crafting, and game testing to find the optimal mix?