Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

As an MDPS should I just gear my ranged instead?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
As an MDPS should I just gear my ranged instead?

Bugattiboy
05.01.2014 , 10:40 AM | #11
Like it was posted before in the thread you can have "too many melee", but no so for ranged. Pretty much until it's possible to have "too many ranged" they'll always defeat melee.
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
There will always be a demand for Inspiration in Ops groups
FTFY, but even that's not true. Remember when people we just stacking nothing but gunslingers?

FlyinSpaghetti
05.01.2014 , 10:54 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Orangeskye View Post
My raid group killed NiM Brontes with 3 Melee, one Ranged. Is it easier with ranged? Absolutely, but if you're good enough on your melee don't let anyone tell you you have to reroll for the good of the group. That's complete BS. Any content in this game can be cleared with any group comp. Just takes more skill to do so.
Nobodies telling me nothing however now I can't seem to get past the guild advertisement stage let alone apply.

Everyone seems to want ranged and not melee, either that's a huge coincidence that a lot of groups are lacking ranged or people are trying to stack ranged in their favour for certain fights.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

JMagee
05.01.2014 , 11:19 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
Nobodies telling me nothing however now I can't seem to get past the guild advertisement stage let alone apply.

Everyone seems to want ranged and not melee, either that's a huge coincidence that a lot of groups are lacking ranged or people are trying to stack ranged in their favour for certain fights.
It's not a coincidence.

If you look at things purely in black-and-white, ranged make aspects of the current content easier. As long as there are things that need to be cleansed, having a self cleanse will be a nice luxury. As will not eating boss AoE by default and the increased up-time on the boss if/when positioning goes awry (Tyrans/Raptus)

Yes, there is a place for melee in the current tier, but 4 Ranged is currently easier to manage than 4 Melee. If people looking to fill spots are only looking for rDPS, they are either still not one-shotting the content regularly or they believe (sort of right sort of wrong) a barely competent rDPS will be less of liability (without knowing the player's capabilities) than the same person as a melee DPS.

AAAAzrael
05.01.2014 , 11:30 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Orangeskye View Post
Any content in this game can be cleared with any group comp. Just takes more skill to do so.
Well Nefra NiM with 6 people who can't cleanse would be a bit extreme (not sure if doable tbh, if you just have one DPS with cleanse he will more or less cleanse on cooldown in this fight). Same goes for NiM Dreadguards with 4 melee....
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Gate Crasher Joshased / Xartanol From Beyond
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

Memo-
05.01.2014 , 11:40 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
Well Nefra NiM with 6 people who can't cleanse would be a bit extreme (not sure if doable tbh, if you just have one DPS with cleanse he will more or less cleanse on cooldown in this fight). Same goes for NiM Dreadguards with 4 melee....
DPS-operatives are melee too (and the best in game!) and have cleanses AND a 1min-cd self-cleanse. 8)
Sakků | Faris | Maliris | Sopraano<Reilukerho>Bas'so | Všli | Rai'chu | Jauhe
Delarah | Stilva | Luccia | Ethawn<Lice-Ridden Banthas>Tenori | Baritoni | Weimar | Altto
   The Lihavuori LegacyTomb of Freedon Nadd

Khevar
05.01.2014 , 11:43 AM | #16
I dunno. I've known some truly spectacular melee dps that will always have a spot in our progression runs.

Sometimes I wonder if the situation is most players starting the game wanting to play a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior simply because it's cool. Resulting in a larger ratio of poor-to-mediocre melee players when building pugs.

It's gotta mean something that most all of the successful 2-manned operations are melee. And it's not like the world-first-progression-guilds only run ranged.

Mugen_no_Jidai
05.01.2014 , 02:05 PM | #17
While there is certainly a bias against having too many melee in a raid, I think the issue lies more in the relative overabundance of melee characters in SWTOR for whatever reason.

Obviously this is circumstantial, but I've never ever been in a raid group in 7 guilds that didn't have a Sentinel/Mara in it (and often two, in 8m). I also can't think of anyone in my last few groups who also didn't either have a Sentinel/Mara or Op/Scoundrel alt that they didn't bring out for alt runs or otherwise campaign at some point to bring. The issue was always that there were preexisting melee in groups or folks who were just plain better at melee and it was preferred that newer members have a ranged for the sake of diversity and ease of mechanics.

While Sents/Maras may be viewed to relatively have a little less raid utility or do a little less damage than some classes now after a number of nerfs and buffs to other classes (relatively, being the key word--all 4 specs can be extremely effective in different situations) they have been pretty desirable to have in ops groups since day one. So I suspect the issue that some may be running into with trying to get their melee into a raid is that almost everyone has one that they want to play and more senior, proven, or higher DPSing players are getting spots in raids, while I see most guilds recruiting ranged to fill out newer spots instead. In my experience is certainly easier to integrate a fresh ranged player into your raid group than to teach a new melee, while ranged often bring needed utility to a raid (that final puzzle piece) that melee may or may not have.

Prototypemind
05.02.2014 , 01:02 AM | #18
We recently did a 16M with only one ranged. That was interesting to say the least. We actually do have a fairly decent number of melee in our HMs some weeks. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Pros:
AoE heals are easy to place. Bosses like Nefra and Grob'thok are easy to stay on, though someone like a Pyro Merc can pretty much do the same while remaining mobile. Easier to group adds up, faster cooldown on interrupts, better defensive cooldowns in general, group utility like Bloodthirst and dirty rezzes.

Cons:
Extra damage taken from incidentals like the subteroths, additional issue of being caught inside anti-grav field, AoE stuns, having to work around things like Inferno and still maintaining damage, the circles and AoE on bosses like the Eyeless, having to move around the room for things like the clock phase of Brontes when ranged can maintain their damage more easily.

Groups that are only worried only about clearing the content just to do so and not about playing with a group that works well together aren't going to be too enjoyable anyway.

AAAAzrael
05.02.2014 , 05:08 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Memo- View Post
DPS-operatives are melee too (and the best in game!) and have cleanses AND a 1min-cd self-cleanse. 8)
Of course and I really like to have ops/scoundrels in my group. In progression group I run with rather awesome one! His burst caused my headache as tank more then once
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Gate Crasher Joshased / Xartanol From Beyond
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse