Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

Pestillence
12.13.2011 , 08:08 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by FodderofCannon View Post
Although you can never please everyone, there are some basic ideas that would have gone a long way to elevate this rather obvious backlash.

1) Give people an idea when they are getting in.

This can be totally bogus if you so choose. Always overestimate the time, by large margins if needs be. But give them a basic idea.
Everyone has a rough idea when they will get, sometime in the next 6 days, geesh people relax. We have all known that you would gain access sometime during the early access period. EA/Bioware don't owe us anything more than what they have already stated.

I wish I got an email today but I probably won't receive one till Thursday or Friday. I work full time and have two small children so game play is limited to evenings and a little over the weekend so any game time I get I appreciate it.

Now if only EA/Bioware could get through to EA Canada and get them to notify Canadian retailers that have online pre-orders that they can start to ship on December 15th.
Proud Owner of SWTOR Collectors Edition

FodderofCannon
12.13.2011 , 08:14 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Pestillence View Post
Everyone has a rough idea when they will get, sometime in the next 6 days, geesh people relax. We have all known that you would gain access sometime during the early access period. EA/Bioware don't owe us anything more than what they have already stated.

I wish I got an email today but I probably won't receive one till Thursday or Friday. I work full time and have two small children so game play is limited to evenings and a little over the weekend so any game time I get I appreciate it.

Now if only EA/Bioware could get through to EA Canada and get them to notify Canadian retailers that have online pre-orders that they can start to ship on December 15th.
7 days is hardly a "rough idea" in the video game industry. Think about it some. This is a business of very thin margins, think of Star Trek Online, it could have been huge but failed miserably. The MMO customer base is merciless, this was an avoidable problem is all that I am saying.

Personally I am more than content to wait, but that's not my point. Others do. They paid just as much as the people that got in today. Is some peoples money worth less than others?

Think about it.

SeanDrake
12.13.2011 , 08:21 PM | #73
I still don't get what they hoped to achieve I mean the dev states in his message that it was not done as a stress test and then later in the same post says it was done as a stress test.

All of which is kind of a moot point as while the servers may be able to take 500k of players staggered at 50k a day or whatever, but will that magically make them not fall flat on there asses when 2mil ppl login on 20/12?

Polander
12.13.2011 , 08:22 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by YurikArkady View Post
How about we wait till the game launches on the 20th before we decide.
Call it what you want, but today was launch. There are people that even have the retail version in their hands. There are live servers. People are playing full retail release.

Just because EA named it something else, and locked most of us out, it is still launch.

It is just another MMO launch that is frustrating, disappointing, and proves big game companies don't care about or understand their customers.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Polander
12.13.2011 , 08:24 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by SeanDrake View Post
I still don't get what they hoped to achieve I mean the dev states in his message that it was not done as a stress test and then later in the same post says it was done as a stress test.

All of which is kind of a moot point as while the servers may be able to take 500k of players staggered at 50k a day or whatever, but will that magically make them not fall flat on there asses when 2mil ppl login on 20/12?
I thought the same thing when I read that post, he contradicted himself totally.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

SeanDrake
12.13.2011 , 08:34 PM | #76
Yeah that entire post amounted to the PR equivalent of "these are not the droids your looking for"

Steelius
12.13.2011 , 08:49 PM | #77
All staggering has done is put a bad taste in my mouth and now you're beating me up with terms of the contract. I'll be the first to state that they didn't lie or misinformed us. However they did create an expectation that I would be playing early. If they intended to or not does not matter, and I won't be demanding a refund or anything.

Here is the problem with all of this, now I'm more likely not to like the game. This isn't a good way to start, especially when you are competing with Wow. Since I started with a bad opinion (because of how they handled the release) they are less likely to get my money.

It would have started better if they sent an email stating when the game would be released to me ahead of time.

Basically you always under promise and over deliver. When you do it the other way around you get shot in the foot.

Pestillence
12.13.2011 , 09:14 PM | #78
People you are going to get into the game early. You will be in the game prior to launch if you entered your pre-order code. Nothing was misleading about you will gain up to 5 days early access (which was turned to 7 days).

No one has been told ahead of time when they would get in, so we are all being treated fairly, just my honest opion.
Proud Owner of SWTOR Collectors Edition

Paralassa
12.13.2011 , 09:18 PM | #79
Hi there!

While we understand your frustrations, the Customer Service forum is for those having issues with their accounts or accessing the game. There is, however, an active discussion topic for early game access/waves:

Final Wave Sent!

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread and ask that you use the one linked above for any further discussion. Thank you!