Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

Elyx
12.13.2011 , 02:52 PM | #11
You do bring up an interesting point. I think much of it revolves around expectations. Most veteran MMO players are familiar with "launch day". login issues, slow response times, entry areas packed, server crashes, etc. Not that they like it, but they understand that it comes with the territory.

But when you open up and say that your early access is starting "X" day, people expect that they will be able to start on that day. especially if you advertise it ahead of time. Then you add in the random aspect of not knowing which time/day you will actually get access, and you can see temperatures rising.

Imagine if a Company made an MMO, and on the week that they said they were going to release it, they said that they weren't sure which exact day it would start, but they'd email you when the servers were up and running.

Sure, this is early access, And I understand that they extended it (most likely for this specific reason). But I can see your point as to why this approach would raise hackles, even if it prevent the more common issues that we've all grown used to over the years.

DoctorBeckett
12.13.2011 , 02:52 PM | #12
Stephen just posted this:

Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion...
For free stuff...
Are you looking for a casual leveling guild on the Harbinger server? Join <Hawke's Flight>(Imp side) and <Hawke's Nest> (Pub side). Pub/Imp sides.
Hawke's Flight/Hawke's Nest Guild Site

mikevika
12.13.2011 , 02:53 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by willandy View Post
I agree. Im not really mad that I didn't get an invite yet to play, but the staggered launch idea does throw off a lot of the guilds. I can see that. Especially considering the early lock in system with the guilds. If there not all allowed to play together at the same time, whats the point?
IT's not that I am mad I just want some information like an email sent out saying this is the date time you can start not the hey you sit by your mailbox and check when you can start for this simple reason i call this an epic fail and the ceo of the company should start looking for another job

Emeralddragon
12.13.2011 , 02:54 PM | #14
OP.. you fail.
You are aware of WHY they are doing a staggered launch? oh wait...no you don't.

Bioware/EA are a very smart companies and know how to setup their servers. Why would they want almost 4M people heading on at once? That's just stupid. It's something you would learn in tech school about ensuring quality with a step implementation.

Also, If you pre-ordered your game on the first day available for pre-order and didn't get in before someone that pre-ordered yesterday, You would be even more pissed off than you are now.

chill. You'll have time to play.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

Darth_Melf
12.13.2011 , 02:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorBeckett View Post
Stephen just posted this:

Hopefully this clears up any confusion...
It also fixes the only real issue I would have with staggered launch. Everyone will get equal chance of the names they want. Because if you only get into the game in 3 days ... but they open up a few new servers in 3 days too ... then my name on that server won't be taken yet.

Aka epic win for all involved ( especially me )

kind regards, Melf
“Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.”

ShaneW
12.13.2011 , 02:58 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeralddragon View Post
OP.. you fail.
You are aware of WHY they are doing a staggered launch? oh wait...no you don't.

Bioware/EA are a very smart company and know how to setup their servers. Why would they want almost 4M people heading on at once? That's just stupid. It's something you would learn in tech school about ensuring quality with a step implementation.

Also, If you pre-ordered your game on the first day available for pre-order and didn't get in before someone that pre-ordered yesterday, You would be even more pissed off than you are now.

chill. You'll have time to play.
I am fully aware. And there is no reason to "chill". I'm fine - as I said I don't really care. I'll play Skyrim, or WoW, or Saints Row 3. I'm just discussing how I think while this launch style has it's merits, it's worse than the other "terrible" MMO launches I've seen.

This tells me, like the others, are trying to lowball their server capacity to save money and did not adequately prepare themselves with the data they gathered throughout testing and especially the stress testing. Like I said before, I know someone who got in already and they're in a queue. A queue. When a fraction of the players are able to even log in now? /dumbfounded
⋐█▉██████▣▓╣▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉)

Grumbuck
12.13.2011 , 03:02 PM | #17
Staggering seemed good on paper. Lets be honest people get excited for the game. When you wait around all day without so much as an expected time frame, that's unacceptable. They could have easily sent out your approximate starting time on Monday.

Toying with my emotions is crap.

Four or five waves? Really?

Rift pulled it off no problem, some queues whatever. With the amount Bio spent this should have been a no brainer.

Too conservative. There will be queues this week staggered access will not stop that.

Elyx
12.13.2011 , 03:03 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
...trying to lowball their server capacity to save money and did not adequately prepare themselves with the data they gathered throughout testing and especially the stress testing. Like I said before, I know someone who got in already and they're in a queue. A queue. When a fraction of the players are able to even log in now? /dumbfounded
Which is sort of odd if you think about it...they already stated that they stress tested their servers with a much greater capacity then they are rolling out, so why is someone stuck with a queue?

hinduchocolate
12.13.2011 , 03:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Grumbuck View Post
Staggering seemed good on paper. Lets be honest people get excited for the game. When you wait around all day without so much as an expected time frame, that's unacceptable. They could have easily sent out your approximate starting time on Monday.

Toying with my emotions is crap.

Four or five waves? Really?

Rift pulled it off no problem, some queues whatever. With the amount Bio spent this should have been a no brainer.

Too conservative. There will be queues this week staggered access will not stop that.

If they had given you an email like you had described THAT would have toyed with your emotions. When you preordered they gave you a 5-day window for early access. We haven't even gotten there yet. So this is all on you.

ShaneW
12.13.2011 , 03:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
Which is sort of odd if you think about it...they already stated that they stress tested their servers with a much greater capacity then they are rolling out, so why is someone stuck with a queue?
Yeah it kinda blew my mind to hear about the queue.

Whether it's due to latency issues etc, or being held back behind a gate like cattle, either way - we're not playing. It's essentially the same thing. But if we could all log in now, at least we could get our names, create our characters, and do some playing. But since it appears they are not prepared, here we are.
⋐█▉██████▣▓╣▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉)