Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Ultimately, what was gained with a staggered launch?

ShaneW
12.13.2011 , 02:37 PM | #1
First off, I'm wouldn't be able to play much today even IF I got in, which I doubt I will. Too much other stuff going on, so I'm not raging or upset that I haven't got in yet, I don't mind it because I have other things to do.

On to my point.

To me it seems on one hand this staggered launch is a good idea. It allows those that got in to have a good experience with presumably less latency, disconnects, and generally just it being less crowded.

On the other, people who took time off work got shafted. As well as those who hoped to play with a friend/family member/significant other who didn't preorder at the same time. Or even just your guild. If you still plan to play with such another person, you're still kinda screwed even if you get in early. What then? Play another class that you didn't want to play first? Not play because you want to experience it new together?

I wonder how much of the player base is going into this totally solo. I've played tons of MMOs and it seems to me the players by lost more with this staggered launch. I'd prefer lag and other issues if I could get started playing with my girlfriend. If you're an MMO veteran you should expect issues from time to time, especially at the launch.

Much of the issues that arise from a new launch is poor planning and lowballing your server capacity to save money and/or insufficient beta testing. I mean, you did all that stress testing. And the truckloads of money. Are you really that unprepared that this is the only way you can do it?

It's just my opinion and obviously I'm not an expert, but I'd prefer the typical way these types of games go out. At least you could try to play with your friends. They don't ruin everyone's planning with a complete uncertainty as to when you and your friends will be able to play together.

So in my eyes, this launch is a failure due simply to that fact.
⋐█▉██████▣▓╣▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉)

willandy
12.13.2011 , 02:41 PM | #2
I agree. Im not really mad that I didn't get an invite yet to play, but the staggered launch idea does throw off a lot of the guilds. I can see that. Especially considering the early lock in system with the guilds. If there not all allowed to play together at the same time, whats the point?

CthulhuChild
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #3
If you want to play with someone, you can wait till the 20th.

If you want to grind as fast and as hard and as soon as possible, enjoy your early access.

If you took time off work in hopes you got early access, and you didn't, you should look up the definition of "gambling".

And if you think the launch failed, you might consider withholding judgement until the game actually launches.

hinduchocolate
12.13.2011 , 02:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by willandy View Post
I agree. Im not really mad that I didn't get an invite yet to play, but the staggered launch idea does throw off a lot of the guilds. I can see that. Especially considering the early lock in system with the guilds. If there not all allowed to play together at the same time, whats the point?
Thanks for seemingly being approachable for this conversation.

My thoughts are that if you really want to play with a significant other/guildie/friend then they should have the patience to wait for you to play. I don't think that is unreasonable. As the OP said, staggered launch means that starter planets will be easy-going and you won't have mob stealing and low FPS.

I really don't think any proposed alternative makes sense. And, hopefully, in the grand scheme we will all be playing this game for years, a few more days won't mean much then.

Noctavious
12.13.2011 , 02:46 PM | #5
BW gets a good look at the server load & can adjust appropriately

Players get more spread out as most people will not start on a server that is "FULL", if everyone jumped in at once you would have log jams.

There would be 3,000+ in some newbie zones & you would have to wait in line for quest turn-ins, things to kill, & to use the bathroom.

No it's not the best solution, but hindsight is 20/20. The wait will be over soon.
Don't make me destroy you!

YurikArkady
12.13.2011 , 02:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
So in my eyes, this launch is a failure due simply to that fact.

How about we wait till the game launches on the 20th before we decide.
Quote: Originally Posted by Telvannis View Post
Grey viable?

All I know is my gut says maybe.

hinduchocolate
12.13.2011 , 02:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Noctavious View Post
BW gets a good look at the server load & can adjust appropriately

Players get more spread out as most people will not start on a server that is "FULL", if everyone jumped in at once you would have log jams.

There would be 3,000+ in some newbie zones & you would have to wait in line for quest turn-ins, things to kill, & to use the bathroom.

No it's not the best solution, but hindsight is 20/20. The wait will be over soon.
^^This

Darth_Melf
12.13.2011 , 02:48 PM | #8
I am not upset, just wondering ... if my guild got in but I didn't ( or someone else of my guild didn't ) ... say I/he/she/it only get in a week from now ... will I/he/she/it still be able to play with the guild or will the server they are on be full by then ?

kind regards, Melf
“Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.”

UrbanLynx
12.13.2011 , 02:50 PM | #9
While the complete uncertainty of when we're getting in does indeed suck, it's unfortunately unavoidable. As Stephen Reid explained earlier today via twitter comments (and maybe added it to his sticky?) the number of pre-orders and the dates on which they placed are like a dropping exponential curve with a huge spike earlier to the announcement of pre-order.

As it's not a linear amount, and the load the servers can take is still somewhat variable, they can't possibly predict with any certainty how many more players will be added, and when. Thus they can't possibly hope to provide anything solid. Can you imagine the blood frenzy if they posted some dates and then failed to live up to them by even half a day?

As for your question titled in the post, they gained a very stable gaming environment, some super vital metrics on server stability in the beginning of their live launch and maintained a highly enjoyable experience for those players that have been lucky enough to be admitted.

I'm in the same boat with the scenario of a family member not getting in at the same time as me. I pre-ordered both our copies and brought the codes home, left my significant others on her desk and she forgot about it for a couple weeks. So you can be sure she won't get in on the same wave I do. I'm just going to roll my alt first, a Trooper. When she gets in I'll roll my JK to play with her Consular. How easy is that?

You also need to keep in mind the sheer amount of pre-orders SWTOR received. It's humongous. I'd be willing to bet that today's waves brought in more than other MMOs did in their morning of launch, in between crashes and downtimes. The server list is pretty damn impressive for launch and I don't think they're being cheap and stingy at all. I honestly believe there's just that many pre-orders from July.
Myrdin & Aleksey of the 1020th, Alexandra & Alena of the 367th

ShaneW
12.13.2011 , 02:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CthulhuChild View Post
If you want to play with someone, you can wait till the 20th.

If you want to grind as fast and as hard and as soon as possible, enjoy your early access.

If you took time off work in hopes you got early access, and you didn't, you should look up the definition of "gambling".

And if you think the launch failed, you might consider withholding judgement until the game actually launches.
The preorder counted early access, everyone paid the same for that yet are going to get it in different amounts. I'm not upset with this at the slightest. They could have said we're delaying a month and I wouldn't have cared at all. The game launched the moment the first paying player logs in. The "real" launch day is just words, reality supersedes it. It's already a failure due to circumstances that have already occured, forcing people to start separately or wait and not get part of something they paid for as well as completely losing out on starting in a controlled environment before the masses join in on launch day.

Quote: Originally Posted by hinduchocolate View Post
Thanks for seemingly being approachable for this conversation.

My thoughts are that if you really want to play with a significant other/guildie/friend then they should have the patience to wait for you to play. I don't think that is unreasonable. As the OP said, staggered launch means that starter planets will be easy-going and you won't have mob stealing and low FPS.

I really don't think any proposed alternative makes sense. And, hopefully, in the grand scheme we will all be playing this game for years, a few more days won't mean much then.

The preorder counted early access, everyone paid the same for that yet are going to get it in different amounts. I'm not upset with this at the slightest. They could have said we're delaying a month and I wouldn't have cared at all. The game launched the moment the first paying player logs in. The "real" launch day is just words, reality supersedes it. It's already a failure due to circumstances that have already occurred, forcing people to start separately or wait and not get part of something they paid for as well as completely losing out on starting in a controlled environment before the masses join in on public launch day.

I know someone who got in and was stuck in a queue for hours. How's that for staggering?
⋐█▉██████▣▓╣▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉▉)