Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

quick communication proposal thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
quick communication proposal thread

Slivovidze
04.21.2014 , 01:56 PM | #11
Communication is too complicated. Nothing can force pugs to communicate. The system rewarding for issuing/following orders may sound great (it does indeed), but it is too complex for our devsies to actually develop to work well. Anything that rewards players for doing trivial things will be abused by nutjobs. Reward for issuing orders? Sure, they would sit somewhere and issue completely irrelevant command on cooldown. VOIP? This is F2P game. Every 10 year old freak can join in, which would make VOIP horrific, most likely.

The one thing that I see that could work is, single button, meaning "help". You press it, there is a popup message like "<Name>: Help at <Name's current coordinates>!" The area would blink several times on minimap, and that's it. Maybe, just maybe, enemies in the area could yield 10% or 20% extra req for 60 seconds or something.

If that would work out, then we'd see if it is enough, or if there is more needed. I don't think it is a good idea to make overly complicated systems straight at the beginning.

zaskar
04.21.2014 , 09:56 PM | #12
I doubt this would work at all without better preflight training. On Pot5 we almost always say in chat where people should be going and 9/10 times the players that are not return players do anything but what was asked of them.
IMPS -- Ryagrs / Zaskar / Evae / Kira'sa / Phrik / Xiok / Ge'tal / Imperius

PUBS -- Zaharr / Hylo / Zavul / Talvii / Yadira-ban / Yaggi / Zibdu / Kavod

NikSunrider
04.23.2014 , 05:07 AM | #13
I agree that communicating through the chatbox is ineffective and inefficient, apart from it's tendency to fade, a person oftentimes has other things to concentrate on, besides the little text.
To be honest, the HUD system already in place often hinders rather than helps. The constant "So-and-so destroyed this-and-that" distracts from the flight/fight, the map is too small to be effective -- even at 1.25 scale -- and the Dominatino scoreboard is, shall we say it, glitchy. I have seen it reverse who had what sat, and so on.

Per Status, I agree that VoIP is the best way to go for coordination, not just for GSF, but for FP/OP/WZs also, and an in-game voice chat would be the best thing the devs have done since, well, launch.

Combined with a handful of pre-recorded comments, i.e. "A in trouble", it would be a most effective system.

True, some people do not have mics, or are not always in a position to use them (cough* me *cough), however it is always better to hear something than nothing.

It is, however, true that getting pugs to work together is a challenge, and given how leadership is assigned to a complete noob 70% of the time, I see a lot of potential for disaster.

The system would need a lot more work than just putting a skype-look-alike into the game, for instance mute permissions, and leadership assigment should be tweaked.

In summary: no more clutter on the HUD! Give us in-game voice chat!
"Proudly waging war against stupid since 2005"
Thanks for the pets guys, 5/5! Here's info on referrals.
~~Meetry / Q of the Ebon Hawk • Living, Republic & Imperial Legend, Republic & Imperial Squad Leader, Fleet Admiral, Space Ace, Manhunter & more

Sidenti
04.23.2014 , 05:53 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by NikSunrider View Post
I agree that communicating through the chatbox is ineffective and inefficient, apart from it's tendency to fade, a person oftentimes has other things to concentrate on, besides the little text.
To be honest, the HUD system already in place often hinders rather than helps. The constant "So-and-so destroyed this-and-that" distracts from the flight/fight, the map is too small to be effective -- even at 1.25 scale -- and the Dominatino scoreboard is, shall we say it, glitchy. I have seen it reverse who had what sat, and so on.

Per Status, I agree that VoIP is the best way to go for coordination, not just for GSF, but for FP/OP/WZs also, and an in-game voice chat would be the best thing the devs have done since, well, launch.

Combined with a handful of pre-recorded comments, i.e. "A in trouble", it would be a most effective system.

True, some people do not have mics, or are not always in a position to use them (cough* me *cough), however it is always better to hear something than nothing.

It is, however, true that getting pugs to work together is a challenge, and given how leadership is assigned to a complete noob 70% of the time, I see a lot of potential for disaster.

The system would need a lot more work than just putting a skype-look-alike into the game, for instance mute permissions, and leadership assigment should be tweaked.

In summary: no more clutter on the HUD! Give us in-game voice chat!
I don't know who you are, but I like you.

Why the hell can't Aygo or Whatsherbutt on the Imp side help us with the callouts? I mean, they're on our butt when we're about to lose a sat anyway - while they're making us feel terrible for taking the pounding, could they not at least give us the letter of the sat they're upset about us losing?

Kerensk
04.23.2014 , 04:45 PM | #15
Once the match starts nobody pays attention to the chat (I've been guilty of it myself). I try to chat all the basic strategy before the match starts. It's the only time people read.

Usually just telling the team to cluster together in a deathmatch can make a huge difference. One moron "Leroy Jenkins" into the enemy and dies instantly while the rest of us circle close to home and pick off the enemy as they filter in.

Some smart ***** occasionally comments "we know how to play", but they don't. If you don't repeat the basics before a match your chance of winning drops before the game even begins.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

Sidenti
04.24.2014 , 05:32 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerensk View Post
Once the match starts nobody pays attention to the chat (I've been guilty of it myself). I try to chat all the basic strategy before the match starts. It's the only time people read.

Usually just telling the team to cluster together in a deathmatch can make a huge difference. One moron "Leroy Jenkins" into the enemy and dies instantly while the rest of us circle close to home and pick off the enemy as they filter in.

Some smart ***** occasionally comments "we know how to play", but they don't. If you don't repeat the basics before a match your chance of winning drops before the game even begins.
I think the individual who started this thread is more in favor of audio cues.

Nethgilne
04.24.2014 , 08:47 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
The one thing that I see that could work is, single button, meaning "help". You press it, there is a popup message like "<Name>: Help at <Name's current coordinates>!" The area would blink several times on minimap, and that's it. Maybe, just maybe, enemies in the area could yield 10% or 20% extra req for 60 seconds or something.

If that would work out, then we'd see if it is enough, or if there is more needed. I don't think it is a good idea to make overly complicated systems straight at the beginning.
I think that would be a great way to start. In the end it might be all that's needed.

NikSunrider
04.29.2014 , 11:23 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Nethgilne View Post
I think that would be a great way to start. In the end it might be all that's needed.
I disagree, as again, we go back to the matter of textual announcements.
What does it matter if the text is in the left corner and orange, or centre-screen and yellow?

When I dogfight someone, I have better things to watch than announcements, i.e. my power levels, terrain --- it is embarrassing to power drive into the very satellite you are protecting, and that is what happens when you try to reference visual cues, or the map, as was my misfortune on a time.

Once, when stacked against a skilled pilot, I was dogfighting him for 3:51 before I got called away via Google Hangouts (we were using that) to help a sat.

Visual queues are nothing more than distractions.
"Proudly waging war against stupid since 2005"
Thanks for the pets guys, 5/5! Here's info on referrals.
~~Meetry / Q of the Ebon Hawk • Living, Republic & Imperial Legend, Republic & Imperial Squad Leader, Fleet Admiral, Space Ace, Manhunter & more