Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What an Ace is - and what an Ace is NOT

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
What an Ace is - and what an Ace is NOT

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 12:12 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
This isn't, and has never been, about you. It's a viewpoint I've seen pop up on the forums and in various conversations multiple times, and I've always found it full of fallacies.

I didn't intend to be offensive, and if I was, I apologize. I hope you'll see my posts for what they are -- critique of ideas I find in need of correction -- and not as personal attacks.
I think it's best we go our separate ways. Sometimes, my friend, the only winning move is not to play.

Good luck out there, man. Hope life treats you well. -bp

tunewalker
04.20.2014 , 12:21 PM | #22
Honestly I agree for the most part, but there are times when some one can turn the tides on one ship regardless of the situation.

I will say even if they are good on multiple ships though, they usually have that 1 ship where they are good on all, they will make you want to cry on that 1. You can tell that the other ships they are flying are what a few of us have come to call "req" ships. Ships that have yet to be mastered so we are flying them to earn requisition on them more so then to fly what is needed. When we start seeing a close game, we might fly a different "req" ship that will be more appropriate and is closer to being mastered or if we are losing and we really need to turn the tides we fly one of the mastered ships, the ones we know like the back of our hands. I have had me and a partner do this in a TDM we started losing 30 to 18. So I jumped on my Pike and him on the GS......end of match we won 50 to 40.

We were still doing well pre the Pike and the GS swap, but we werent killing any where near as fast, and because of that the enemy team was able to pick off our more fresh pilots while we chased tails. After the switch obviously that changed.

revelum
04.20.2014 , 12:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
I think it's best we go our separate ways. Sometimes, my friend, the only winning move is not to play.

Good luck out there, man. Hope life treats you well. -bp
Don't you think that's a bit of a hacky cop out?
You create a thread meant for debate, and even invited people to contend with your opinions.
Don't then just do the whole "agree to disagree" and immediatly shut down the debate.

Someone posted some critique about your opinion, answer them, otherwise what would the point of this thread have been?

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 12:35 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by revelum View Post
Don't you think that's a bit of a hacky cop out?
You create a thread meant for debate, and even invited people to contend with your opinions.
Don't then just do the whole "agree to disagree" and immediatly shut down the debate.

Someone posted some critique about your opinion, answer them, otherwise what would the point of this thread have been?
With this particular person, it's been the same old song-and-dance over multiple threads. Sorry, but it gets a little old, y'know?

I hate doing it too, but I'm sure you know the old saw about how internet arguments are like the Special Olympics.

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 12:38 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
Honestly I agree for the most part, but there are times when some one can turn the tides on one ship regardless of the situation.

I will say even if they are good on multiple ships though, they usually have that 1 ship where they are good on all, they will make you want to cry on that 1. You can tell that the other ships they are flying are what a few of us have come to call "req" ships. Ships that have yet to be mastered so we are flying them to earn requisition on them more so then to fly what is needed. When we start seeing a close game, we might fly a different "req" ship that will be more appropriate and is closer to being mastered or if we are losing and we really need to turn the tides we fly one of the mastered ships, the ones we know like the back of our hands. I have had me and a partner do this in a TDM we started losing 30 to 18. So I jumped on my Pike and him on the GS......end of match we won 50 to 40.

We were still doing well pre the Pike and the GS swap, but we werent killing any where near as fast, and because of that the enemy team was able to pick off our more fresh pilots while we chased tails. After the switch obviously that changed.
Oh, I agree. I don't think you have to be AS good with a second or third ship as one is with the one they like the best. I mean, I don't drive the cargo trucks at work like I do the Impala I've owned forever. But I do drive the cargo trucks well enough to be employed at it.

When I'm referring to a "one-ship pony", I mean someone who's just complete garbage on anything but a particular ship with a particular build. There aren't too many of those, thankfully. -bp

QuinMantha
04.20.2014 , 12:49 PM | #26
I think your definition pretty well covers it, Sid. I consider players to be aces as opposed to characters, but it's easy to think of someone that way when they don't announce their alts, who may have worse stats and get slapped with some real ugly carnage. Everybody makes their own name for themselves.

For example, I've started flying Impside on Ebon Hawk. Now, Repside, I'm known as Rhint, a special sort of irritant that should be cursed to a long, slow digestion in a Sarlacc's belly. Impside, I fly as Tyraine, nowhere near as geared as Rhint is (Mangler isn't mastered yet), but I began to notice Repside players--players that I know--coming after me and my bitty cannon with a consistent intensity that suggested they were aware somehow of the damage I could do.

Part of that could be just 'GUNSHIP ARGHABLARGLE KILL IT'. I like to think it's these guys sensing how deadly I, as a player, as a pilot, actually can be.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 12:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by QuinMantha View Post
I think your definition pretty well covers it, Sid. I consider players to be aces as opposed to characters, but it's easy to think of someone that way when they don't announce their alts, who may have worse stats and get slapped with some real ugly carnage. Everybody makes their own name for themselves.

For example, I've started flying Impside on Ebon Hawk. Now, Repside, I'm known as Rhint, a special sort of irritant that should be cursed to a long, slow digestion in a Sarlacc's belly. Impside, I fly as Tyraine, nowhere near as geared as Rhint is (Mangler isn't mastered yet), but I began to notice Repside players--players that I know--coming after me and my bitty cannon with a consistent intensity that suggested they were aware somehow of the damage I could do.

Part of that could be just 'GUNSHIP ARGHABLARGLE KILL IT'. I like to think it's these guys sensing how deadly I, as a player, as a pilot, actually can be.
As I'm sure you're well aware, it's probably easiest to tell who's a rookie GS pilot and who's just flying a stock.

(Side note: Flying Imperial now, eh? I might have to get a new character back into GSF now.)

Gavin_Kelvar
04.20.2014 , 12:56 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
, I mean someone who's just complete garbage on anything but a particular ship with a particular build. There aren't too many of those, thankfully. -bp
I think it really depends on the context. If that 1 ship is the recognized FotM and they're obviously abusing the OP aspects to do so well then yeah probably not an ace. But if they're not relying on OP mechanics to do well I'd say they at least merit consideration.

Something I'd add to the "an Ace is NOT" list:

an ace is not someone who only makes a difference when they, by pure chance, happen to be at the right place at the right time and they never (or almost never) actively try to be in the spot where they can have the largest impact.
Aodhán Guilhem
Republic Strike Fighter Pilot
Jedi Covenant

QuinMantha
04.20.2014 , 01:14 PM | #29
Someone who knows best how to contribute to a win on a match, Gavin?

...I can agree with that! Sometimes, the best folks to fly with are the ones who are so confident in their skills that they don't go out of their way to show them off. Just winning is enough.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

Verain
04.20.2014 , 01:14 PM | #30
An Ace is a top pilot full stop.

He can be a jerk, he can spawn camp, he can do whatever. The term has always meant skill. Don't try to redefine it to gentleman or something. It's just a really good pilot.