Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What an Ace is - and what an Ace is NOT

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
What an Ace is - and what an Ace is NOT

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 08:43 AM | #1
We've gone back and forth quite a bit about what a GSF Ace is, and a little bit about what a GSF Ace is NOT. Here's how I see it:

AN ACE IS:

* A pilot known and respected by both factions on their server (even if the respect in question is mere avoidance)
* Can fly more than one ship type competently (Ya ain't gotta be awesome, but ya can't suck at it either)
* Can strongly contribute in both TDM and Domination

AN ACE IS *NOT*:

* A pilot who intentionally flies mastered ships when matched against newbies on a consistent, purposeful basis
* A pilot who griefs without cause
* A pilot who locks down TDM spawn points for the intent of farming kills
* A pilot who hacks (never mind that the hacks in question are painfully ineffective; it's still btch)

Anything to add, subtract, or contend? Feel free below. -bp

Armonddd
04.20.2014 , 08:44 AM | #2
You forgot the [Opinions] tag.

I can't really see this thread going over well :<
Space Ace, Founder, and Beater
Formerly of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 09:04 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
You forgot the [Opinions] tag.

I can't really see this thread going over well :<
Viewpoint is often subjective. Perhaps you'd like to help avoid the fate you see? -bp

Slivovidze
04.20.2014 , 09:15 AM | #4
Aces are those who are recognised as such by numerous other players, no matter the killcount or whatever.

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 09:20 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
Aces are those who are recognised as such by numerous other players, no matter the killcount or whatever.
That kinda goes in with the first bullet point, but I see what you mean. While it certainly helps to have the respect of pilots from other servers, it doesn't seem prudent to think any less of demonstrated top pilots simply because they're not a cross-server presence.

For example: Imperius and Rainous are both pilots I would consider "Ace", but I don't think either plays outside of Ebon Hawk.

Slivovidze
04.20.2014 , 09:43 AM | #6
I said numerous pilots, not pilots from other servers.

When a player who plays often looks at the startup player list and sees names of people in the opposing side, which send shivers down his back, or when he sees names on his side and his confidence about victory grows straight up, these are the people who are aces.
When you look at names on startup list and evaluate victory chances just based on these names, then these names are names of aces.

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 09:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
I said numerous pilots, not pilots from other servers.

When a player who plays often looks at the startup player list and sees names of people in the opposing side, which send shivers down his back, or when he sees names on his side and his confidence about victory grows straight up, these are the people who are aces.
When you look at names on startup list and evaluate victory chances just based on these names, then these names are names of aces.
...so, the first bullet point covers, then.

MaybeEvil
04.20.2014 , 10:09 AM | #8
The best aces are the ones that tout their superior skill against all those overpowered 2-ship rookie squads and bring mastered boats to make sure that those green pilots don't invade and take over all of our native servers.

Thankfully we have these players to keep us all safe!
Unaligned

Renora
04.20.2014 , 10:26 AM | #9
I doubt we will come to an agreement on a single definition.

For me, I agree with the above poster. Aces are those pilots on my team that I know will contribute the most: they can be counted on to capture, hold and come to the defense of nodes in Domination, and have high kill numbers in TDM. Conversely, I fear the Aces on the opposing team that will make Domination nodes that much harder to take and that make TDM a nightmare for me to score even a few kills.

I don't think it matters whether someone is dominant on many ship types or one ship type. An Ace on my side will probably change ships to match circumstances (I don't really keep track of what they fly), but the Aces that I fear on the opposing side are the ones that fly a specific ship and that is what makes them fearsome. So when I see a certain pilot on a gunship, for example, that's when I call that person out to my team because they will wreak havoc if not checked on that ship.

One wild card is whether or not the person is on voice chat/on a premade or not. Some pilots are much, much stronger when on voice chat and part of a premade than when they queue solo.
Ren-fair and Renako, Republic Pilots on Jedi Covenant
Renith, Imperial Pilot on Jedi Covenant

Sidenti
04.20.2014 , 11:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Renora View Post
I doubt we will come to an agreement on a single definition.

For me, I agree with the above poster. Aces are those pilots on my team that I know will contribute the most: they can be counted on to capture, hold and come to the defense of nodes in Domination, and have high kill numbers in TDM. Conversely, I fear the Aces on the opposing team that will make Domination nodes that much harder to take and that make TDM a nightmare for me to score even a few kills.

I don't think it matters whether someone is dominant on many ship types or one ship type. An Ace on my side will probably change ships to match circumstances (I don't really keep track of what they fly), but the Aces that I fear on the opposing side are the ones that fly a specific ship and that is what makes them fearsome. So when I see a certain pilot on a gunship, for example, that's when I call that person out to my team because they will wreak havoc if not checked on that ship.

One wild card is whether or not the person is on voice chat/on a premade or not. Some pilots are much, much stronger when on voice chat and part of a premade than when they queue solo.
I dunno about one-ship pilots. They're not very scary outside of their comfort zone for the most part. That's why I don't consider them "true" Aces personally. Suppose the parameters change again and their chosen ship type gets nerfed to the point that they're no longer as effective?

At that point, it's the ship doing the work and not the pilot in my view. And that's no Ace. -bp