Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can anyone name a Minigame like GSF that has done well ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Can anyone name a Minigame like GSF that has done well ?

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.19.2014 , 11:40 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Urien View Post
Once I read this sentence, I realised you can't possibly be serious -- or at least, taken seriously.

Since the stuff about mastered ships is simple gibberish (lots of players do extremely well for themselves in un-upgraded ships), it seems you're basically just complaining that Teamwork Is OP. To which the answer is: yes. Yes it is. So?

Next.
I actually considered the idea that improved ships were relatively unimportant and have been tracking results with alts and overall matches.

So far the things that affect individual performance in order of impact.
1. Being on the winning side
2. Having very bad opposing pilots to target
3. Having the better ship.
4. Pilot skill

In matches like domination where the other team can consistently throw 2 or 3 ships at you to shut you down at an objective you aren't going to do much. In team death match the best way to rack up kills is to spot the noobs and farm them.

A really simple way to gain understand why having a fully upgraded ship is so important is to look at this thread on engineering passives. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=736226 What you are saying when you say upgrades don't matter is that you are fighting pilots who haven't figured out they need to run away.

Edit: This whole having better ships doesn't matter meme needs to die. It's really just a case of people with an advantage rationalizing it as rightfully theirs. It's a very common thing to do, but it really has no place in a sport.

You can see the study of the behavior here

http://blog.ted.com/2013/12/20/6-stu...-and-the-mind/

Relevant quote

Quote:
The study: In a UC Berkeley study, Piff had more than 100 pairs of strangers play Monopoly. A coin-flip randomly assigned one person in each pair to be the rich player: they got twice as much money to start with, collected twice the salary when they passed go, and rolled both dice instead of one, so they could move a lot farther. Piff used hidden cameras to watch the duos play for 15 minutes.

The results: The rich players moved their pieces more loudly, banging them around the board, and displayed the type of enthusiastic gestures you see from a football player who’s just scored a touchdown. They even ate more pretzels from a bowl sitting off to the side than the players who’d been assigned to the poor condition, and started to become ruder to their opponents. Moreover, the rich players’ understanding of the situation was completely warped: after the game, they talked about how they’d earned their success, even though the game was blatantly rigged, and their win should have been seen as inevitable. “That’s a really, really incredible insight into how the mind makes sense of advantage,” Piff says.

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.19.2014 , 11:47 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
Besides the fact GSF is not newbie friendly and that we need a *real* tutorial I think it's doing well.

If it was more newbie friendly more players would try it out and stick around and problems like a single premade ruling the skies would be mitigated by not always flying against them or with them.


What this mini-game needs is what games like War Thunder and World of Warplanes has: a multi-part tutorial.

You learn to get from point A to point B, follow and shoot down a faster less armed opponent, follow and shoot down a slower armed opponent, destroy turrets, introduction to different game styles; like how railguns work and how to place mines and so on...

The fact a pilot on the forum made a 3 minutes video that is several times more informative then the in-game "tutorial" shows how badly we need a proper tutorial, because not everyone will go to the forums after getting demolished.
This is a very good point. I still remember when City of Heroes changed their PvP so it had different combat mechanics from the rest of the game. PvP there , prior to the change, had a small but active community (some estimated 5 to 10 percent of the players) afterwards PvP became a desert that never recovered.

xStratigyx's Avatar


xStratigyx
04.19.2014 , 06:55 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
The fact a pilot on the forum made a 3 minutes video that is several times more informative then the in-game "tutorial" shows how badly we need a proper tutorial, because not everyone will go to the forums after getting demolished.
Can you link the video? Im interested in showing it to some of my guildies who are interested in testing the waters of GSF.
Gentlemen Gankers

Kalphitis's Avatar


Kalphitis
04.19.2014 , 09:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by xStratigyx View Post
Can you link the video? Im interested in showing it to some of my guildies who are interested in testing the waters of GSF.
Have them all read this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

The video is in there also.

Kalphitis's Avatar


Kalphitis
04.19.2014 , 09:17 PM | #15
Can I name a MMO minigame that has done well?

The biggest one that comes to mind is pet-battles in WoW. I know what you're thinking, and I laughed at first too...but damn that system is addictive. I choose you Mr. Bigglesworth! It's fairly popular and there are many websites dedicated just to pet battles.

Runescape also has a plethora of minigames that have a very large following -- the largest of which is probably Castle Wars.

There are plenty of minigames out there in MMOs.

I like GSF and all, but it's never going to become very popular without the existence of cross server queues.

Devrius's Avatar


Devrius
04.19.2014 , 11:08 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalphitis View Post
Have them all read this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

The video is in there also.
Agreed, Stasie's guide should be required reading upon getting in the cockpit of your first ship, it is more valuable in information then anything in-game.

mattycutts's Avatar


mattycutts
04.20.2014 , 05:19 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
I actually considered the idea that improved ships were relatively unimportant and have been tracking results with alts and overall matches.

So far the things that affect individual performance in order of impact.
1. Being on the winning side
2. Having very bad opposing pilots to target
3. Having the better ship.
4. Pilot skill

In matches like domination where the other team can consistently throw 2 or 3 ships at you to shut you down at an objective you aren't going to do much. In team death match the best way to rack up kills is to spot the noobs and farm them.

A really simple way to gain understand why having a fully upgraded ship is so important is to look at this thread on engineering passives. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=736226 What you are saying when you say upgrades don't matter is that you are fighting pilots who haven't figured out they need to run away.

Edit: This whole having better ships doesn't matter meme needs to die. It's really just a case of people with an advantage rationalizing it as rightfully theirs. It's a very common thing to do, but it really has no place in a sport.

You can see the study of the behavior here

http://blog.ted.com/2013/12/20/6-stu...-and-the-mind/

Relevant quote
firstly suggest you do more research before coming out with so many inaccuracy.

firstly, skill matters first and foremost, mods on ships are a cherry on cake. I have a char with zero mods and still every game I will be in top 3 of that match even on loseing games.

The best pilots don't target the noobs, I myself always seek there toughest members where possible.

one person can alter the whole flow of a match.

Yes a better tutorial is really needed.

cant moan about people grouping up, no different to ground pvp do or don't its YOUR CHOICE.

Performance is not based on with you are on winning team, ive done many games against good teams and been top while we lost and at same time been on winning team where hardly anything happened.

GSF is not a hop in be the best, its try it, try it, and do more learn everything from ranges of each ships to attack patterns and even down to predictability of people u see regularly in gsf.
RED ECLIPSE - Eternal Dawn (Rep) / The Deathbringers (emp)
(Ground & Space PVP only)
Empire - Quickblast / Quickstrike / Quickblow / Quickcast / Toretto
Republic - Quickblasts / Quickslam / Quickvolley
Former Baccas Blade / Nightmare Lands

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.20.2014 , 02:28 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by mattycutts View Post
firstly suggest you do more research before coming out with so many inaccuracy.

.
I have tracked the results and analyzed them. Mostly because I was curious which mattered more, my improvement as a pilot or improving my ship. Suggest you do some number crunching before making your statements. When I see matches where pilots who regularly have kill counts in the teens are shut down to 1 or none just what do you think is the determining factor ?

zaskar's Avatar


zaskar
04.21.2014 , 02:03 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
I have tracked the results and analyzed them. Mostly because I was curious which mattered more, my improvement as a pilot or improving my ship. Suggest you do some number crunching before making your statements. When I see matches where pilots who regularly have kill counts in the teens are shut down to 1 or none just what do you think is the determining factor ?
Sorry buddy, you don't get off that easy, ever hear of peer review? You can't talk like a researcher and not provide, methodology, data and your results for review. Just like how the theory crafters here do. Publish or you're forever branded a fool.
IMPS -- Ryagrs / Zaskar / Evae / Kira'sa / Phrik / Xiok / Ge'tal / Imperius

PUBS -- Zarrk / Hylo / Zavul / Talvii / Yadira-ban / Yaggi / Zibdu / Kavod

General_Brass's Avatar


General_Brass
04.21.2014 , 02:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by zaskar View Post
Sorry buddy, you don't get off that easy, ever hear of peer review? You can't talk like a researcher and not provide, methodology, data and your results for review. Just like how the theory crafters here do. Publish or you're forever branded a fool.
I didn't realize there was a Republic Journal of Operations Research, Perhaps the Sith Industrial engineering society, Transactions of the association for stellar military science ?

Of course the force only knows what standards of proof I would have to meet to convince people that feel their great skill overwhelms material advantage otherwise.