Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can anyone name a Minigame like GSF that has done well ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Can anyone name a Minigame like GSF that has done well ?

General_Brass
04.19.2014 , 02:59 AM | #1
A serious question that has been bothering me.

I know of many MMORPGs with PvP minigames where they have done poorly, I can't think of any structured like GSF that have done well.

When I say like, I mean has the following characteristics.

1. Internal vertical progression. A mastered ship is worth at least double a base ship in gsf, simply in terms of hitpoints/fire power and enhanced cooldowns/buffs/debuffs
2. Heavy team orientation but pairs teams against randoms
3. No matchmaking to speak of.
4. No Equal footing/Bolster mechanic
5. New learning curve separate from main game and no tutorial, with thanks to Devirus for pointing this out.

I ask because GSF is beginning to remind me of other MMOs failed PvP mini games, and not at all of successful pvp games. Heck it doesn't even look like this games moderately successful ground pvp game.

Urien
04.19.2014 , 06:55 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
this games moderately successful ground pvp game.
Once I read this sentence, I realised you can't possibly be serious -- or at least, taken seriously.

Since the stuff about mastered ships is simple gibberish (lots of players do extremely well for themselves in un-upgraded ships), it seems you're basically just complaining that Teamwork Is OP. To which the answer is: yes. Yes it is. So?

Next.
Republic Navy Starfighter Corps
- Lt. Zarius KESSLER
Red Squadron Leader, RSS Gav Daragon
First Expeditionary Fleet

Sidenti
04.19.2014 , 07:21 AM | #3
A serious question that has been bothering me.

I know of many MMORPGs with PvP minigames where they have done poorly, I can't think of any structured like GSF that have done well.

When I say like, I mean has the following characteristics.

1. Internal vertical progression. A mastered ship is worth at least double a base ship in gsf, simply in terms of hitpoints/fire power and enhanced cooldowns/buffs/debuffs
3. No matchmaking to speak of.
4. No Equal footing/Bolster mechanic

I ask because GSF is beginning to remind me of other MMOs failed PvP mini games, and not at all of successful pvp games. Heck it doesn't even look like this games moderately successful ground pvp game.
Then design a good one and show us what you mean. -bp

Altheran
04.19.2014 , 07:29 AM | #4
I think the game is actually solo oriented. The UI, the action, everything is restricting you to a basic self-consciousness and a simplistic surrounding awareness... Like if you were suddenly thrown in a bar brawl, or something like that.

But I don't know why, they allowed group queuing, which allowed the use of group strategies on vocal... and since the game isn't emphasizing on people acting together but on personal feats and decisions taken in the middle of action, groups ended being at a huge advantage over PuGs, much more than in Warzones for example.

Sidenti
04.19.2014 , 07:47 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
I think the game is actually solo oriented. The UI, the action, everything is restricting you to a basic self-consciousness and a simplistic surrounding awareness... Like if you were suddenly thrown in a bar brawl, or something like that.

But I don't know why, they allowed group queuing, which allowed the use of group strategies on vocal... and since the game isn't emphasizing on people acting together but on personal feats and decisions taken in the middle of action, groups ended being at a huge advantage over PuGs, much more than in Warzones for example.
It's only solo-oriented if you fly a mastered BLC scout. The rest requires at least a little teamwork in an even match. -bp

Altheran
04.19.2014 , 07:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
It's only solo-oriented if you fly a mastered BLC scout. The rest requires at least a little teamwork in an even match. -bp
I have yet to see a ship that can't work as a solo tunnel-vision ship beside the Spearpoint (because it sucks)

-Streven-
04.19.2014 , 07:58 AM | #7
Wow. That's a really elaborate lead in just to say you don't like getting beaten by better players that sometimes group up. Save the drama for your mama and just come out and say what you mean. Be a man!

I've had a good group I've been running with for a few months now and our VOIP usually consists on talking build strategies or what we had for dinner. The type of coordination some people think exists just isn't very common. I mean really, haven't you ever played any shooters with built in VOIP? What did you hear people talk about. People rarely talk about the game or actual strategy beyond the superficial stuff that any experienced player doesn't already know.

I also pug alot and never have trouble getting up high on the scoreboard or contribute to my team. It just takes time and experience. If you fly often enough you'll get to know the regulars on your server and won't have any problems grouping if you want to. Really the best reason for grouping is that you get much faster queues.
Ben-sindu Harbinger

Altheran
04.19.2014 , 08:32 AM | #8
Was that directed to me ?

Devrius
04.19.2014 , 08:55 AM | #9
Besides the fact GSF is not newbie friendly and that we need a *real* tutorial I think it's doing well.

If it was more newbie friendly more players would try it out and stick around and problems like a single premade ruling the skies would be mitigated by not always flying against them or with them.

What this mini-game needs is what games like War Thunder and World of Warplanes has: a multi-part tutorial.

You learn to get from point A to point B, follow and shoot down a faster less armed opponent, follow and shoot down a slower armed opponent, destroy turrets, introduction to different game styles; like how railguns work and how to place mines and so on...

The fact a pilot on the forum made a 3 minutes video that is several times more informative then the in-game "tutorial" shows how badly we need a proper tutorial, because not everyone will go to the forums after getting demolished.

Applejacxs
04.19.2014 , 09:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
What this mini-game needs is what games like War Thunder and World of Warplanes has: a multi-part tutorial.
And you know you could keep the current tutorial. But have it continue in 2nd part in a simulated domination and tdm match just to go over the basics of what you may find.