Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The new "support" ships are pointless right now.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
The new "support" ships are pointless right now.

-Streven-
04.18.2014 , 01:44 PM | #21
I followed two of my buddies with a clarion outfitted with repair probes and shield projector. Final stats at the end of the game showed them both roughly 30% ahead of their normal production levels. I was maybe 5-10% behind my usual production so I'd say with the right conditions the clarion can be a force multiplier.

With only one round of experience to draw from that included a fair amount of two shippers it's hard to make a solid conclusion but the results were definitely promising. The main drawback to the community at large is the lack of feedback. Based on my stats alone it was hard to tell the impact I was having. I got no real feedback and my stats were a bit low. After the match they both confirmed they could feel the difference and the stats were there to back up the perception.

The game also doesn't help since you can't target a friendly. I had to go by feel on when to hit my shields/probes. I did my best to keep on the tail of one or the other the entire match. When I could see their ship model clearly I knew I was close enough to pop a cooldown. I flew defensively and drew a lot of fire but had zero deaths (there were no gunships of note in the match). I managed 8 kills and 12 assists with 29k damage flying purely as support and staying defensive. Whenever I lost track of them due to rolling around in a dogfight I would get back on their tail as soon as possible only breaking off when clear targets presented themselves and only for a short period of time. Also we were not using VOIP.

For reference, I have have protorps and quads along with power dive on the build and all but two components are mastered. Crew skill is suppression.
Ben-sindu Harbinger

Altheran
04.18.2014 , 02:16 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by -Streven- View Post
I followed two of my buddies with a clarion outfitted with repair probes and shield projector.

[...]

For reference, I have have protorps and quads along with power dive on the build and all but two components are mastered. Crew skill is suppression.
Beside co-pilot, I use the same ship, and while she's far from mastered , I don't feel I'm lacking on the battlefield.

Sure it's much less offensive, but it's fine... Unlike a Spearpoint which is rather terrible IMO. (Still trying some stuff, but nothing seemed great at the moment)

-Streven-
04.18.2014 , 03:02 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Beside co-pilot, I use the same ship, and while she's far from mastered , I don't feel I'm lacking on the battlefield.

Sure it's much less offensive, but it's fine... Unlike a Spearpoint which is rather terrible IMO. (Still trying some stuff, but nothing seemed great at the moment)
Yeah, I can't find much use for the spearpoint and as a rule I try to fly unpopular ships to see if i can't make them work. Tensor field can be fun to fly with but I don't find it really useful as a combat skill. Targeting Telemetry will do more for you so what do I give up clusters or rockets and distortion field just so I can have shield projector? Then there's those minor components. I'd like someone to find a good use for this ship and share with the rest of us.
Ben-sindu Harbinger

Slivovidze
04.18.2014 , 03:28 PM | #24
Yeah, I can't find much use for the spearpoint and as a rule I try to fly unpopular ships to see if i can't make them work. Tensor field can be fun to fly with but I don't find it really useful as a combat skill. Targeting Telemetry will do more for you so what do I give up clusters or rockets and distortion field just so I can have shield projector? Then there's those minor components. I'd like someone to find a good use for this ship and share with the rest of us.
Fun? I dunno. I fly it as my new main ship and I do quite well (worse than I used to do with my Nova, though).

Tensor is great offensive and defensive ability. Extra speed and turn rate kinda help at satellite fights and also while escaping ambushes and stuff. I use it mainly to buff myself, but usually when I pop it at node fight, we tend to win. It gives me chance to, somehow, be everywhere. I can literally go from B to A-fight just to drop a shield projector on my mateys there and rush back to B to keep defending against incoming attackers. I use speed upgrade on my Power Dive, so I have turn rate of a bus, and Tensor helps a lot with that. It has quite high uptime (40%?) so if I am responsible while it is on cooldown, I can line up some nice action for the 24s rush.

I don't know how my allies react on being buffed - I guess they won't refuse getting Shield Projector, but there are some (hi Armond) who don't like getting Tensor buff unexpectedly in mid-fight. I, on the other hand, love it, when I got buffed with my Nova it was the best 20 seconds of my GSF hisotry.

I think people might dislike it because it doesn't directly add nothing to one's offense or defense RNG (unless upgraded specifically). Instead, it gives a tool, 24 seconds is quite a lot of time and you can use it in many ways. I use it in a crowd fight somewhere, and people can: out-turn these pesky Stings, chase down the escaping enemies, close the gap to the gunship unexpectedly fast, move out to cap or defend far satellite, move out to collect a power-up and return swiftly, escape, manually break enemy lock attempts, and possibly more.

Compared to this, if they get buffed by Combat Command, they can... Shoot. Yup. That's about it. They've gotta fight.
And Repair Bots? Well, these are especially hard to use. You have NO idea about the state of your allies' ships. You can blindly pop it and hope for the best.

But still, the ship is indeed WORSE than any other ship (Comet Breaker and Dustmaker have the honor of being exception here). So if you fly for stats, stats and nothing else, it's a pass, but if you fly for fun, Spearpoint can do a good work. I think that the scout is even more "what you can make of it" than any other ship.

HKtheindomitable
04.18.2014 , 03:53 PM | #25
Opinion: These new support ships are pretty good. The Strike one is anyway.

Statement: The thing I don't like, is if you get stuck sitting next to a gunship or two or are trying to get to your ally strike/scout group to help keep them going, you get the "You aren't contributing" message. You then lose all your medals and points because you don't end up dealing damage. I had a TDM where I did that and got nothing because I was trying to keep my allies alive, and the other team was either dying or evading well, so I couldn't deal much damage.

Addendum: Same thing with not being able to target allies. That makes things really difficult. Especially when you are trying to get to someone specific, you accidentally go past them, and then you have no idea how far away you are from them until you turn to face them, which can take a while.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Pot5/Ebon Hawk | Justicar | International Guild

Altheran
04.18.2014 , 05:22 PM | #26
I'm actually trying Combat Command.

At least i can use it for myself when stuck in a turning fight and it allows me to withstand a bit better my weapon energy cost induced by my stock Frquency Capacitor (planning to keep Frequency as I can't rely on secondary to improve my damage). If it helps others at the same time, that's a bonus.

I'm thinking going for EMP missile and shield projector (maybe repair drone) to try to be a jack of all trades of support. I don't have any hopes for being uber powerful but at least it may allow me to not have too much support ships in my hangar.

-Streven-
04.18.2014 , 05:37 PM | #27
If you use combat command I'd think wimgman would be a nice complimentary crew skill.
Ben-sindu Harbinger

Gerfaut
04.18.2014 , 07:17 PM | #28
The main drawback to the community at large is the lack of feedback. Based on my stats alone it was hard to tell the impact I was having. I got no real feedback and my stats were a bit low. After the match they both confirmed they could feel the difference and the stats were there to back up the perception.

The game also doesn't help since you can't target a friendly. I had to go by feel on when to hit my shields/probes. I did my best to keep on the tail of one or the other the entire match.
This is exactly how I feel when I play one of those ships. For instance, before using repair probes, I have to guess whether anybody needs hull repair or ammo; once I decide to use it, I have to guess whether I am in range of my allies; and after I use it, I get no feedback as to whether it did any good to anybody. Also, the main scoreboard doesn't give any info on support. Yes, there is a way to see how much repair I did, by going to the performance tab, but I can't see how much repair other players did, and other buffs do not show up at all on the scoreboard.

The support strike is actually fairly fun to play. Usually, I'll be enjoying myself during the game, until the scoreboard pops up at the end and my kill number is barely above the 2-ship newbies, while the value of the support I provided is pretty much unknown. It hits me like a cold shower and all of a sudden I feel useless, or rather I have no idea how useful I actually was, and whether any of the stuff I did had any impact on the outcome of the game. Playing support seems very unrewarding in GSF, due to the lack of feedback.

On the other end, I love it when a friend of mine plays his support scout with Combat Command or his strike with repair probes, because I can definitely see the positive impact of his buffs on my own performance. I don't know why so many people think Combat Command is not good. I really love getting buffed by it in a big dogfight: the increase in accuracy and crit is amazing and transforms my ship into a killing machine. The funny thing is that my friend would most likely be at the top of the scoreboard if he played a different ship, but by playing a support ship and buffing me, he propels me to the top instead (at least some times... other times, he still manages to top the scoreboard even in his support ship). Combat Command is good at making your allies better.

I like the repair probes on the T3 strike. I sometimes use that ship in Domination, to "heal" people who are fighting enemy bombers at nodes. I'll come in and use the probes right after a bunch of mines went off. In TDM, I prefer to play a T2 scout, and I aggressively go after enemy gunships who are standing in the back near their cap ship (where they keep getting reinforcement from people on their team who just respawned). As a result, I often end up with 3-4 people targetting me. If my friend is playing his T3 strike, he'll wait until I draw enemy fire, then come in and repair my hull and help me take some targets down. It is very effective, even without VOIP.

As for Tensor Field, I only use it on the Denon map. It is nice at the start, and also when the enemies we just wiped at one satellite switch to attack another one and we have to get there fast to defend.

Of all the new systems abilities, Remote Slicing seems the most underwhelming. I see no reason to fly a strike with Remote Slicing over a T1 scout with EMP field. EMP field does a similar job but it is an AOE and has some additional functionality (disabling mines and drones, missile lock break). And the scout has more mobility, better secondary weapons, access to distorsion field and barrel roll, etc... The shield drain on Remote Slicing really doesn't make up for all that.

Altheran
04.19.2014 , 04:01 AM | #29
If you use combat command I'd think wimgman would be a nice complimentary crew skill.
I fear it would be redundant with Combat Command, actually. So at the moment I trying it with Running Interferences

Applejacxs
04.19.2014 , 08:58 AM | #30
I fully admit after looking at the quell it would probly be better for this but i am having some success using my Imperium as a bomber/gunship hunter using photons. The its a great ship as well to assit a bomber in holding taking a a nod also.