Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Scouts Secondary Weapons Are Garbage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
New Scouts Secondary Weapons Are Garbage

Armonddd
04.20.2014 , 02:04 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
EMP is fantastic for rooting bombers out of satellite camping.
If only that were true.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Pilgrim_Grey
04.20.2014 , 03:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
If only that were true.
It's not terrible and it helps a little, but yeah... it's not great. Long lockon time and not a big enough explosion radius to take care of mines and drones all over a satellite... which is kind of what you should be doing on a bomber.

I have used it to help clear a satellite, don't get me wrong, but the decent bomber pilots keep moving and circling and doing what the worse ones can do... sit in a corner and pop out more mines and drones (well, the latter part of that, anyway), yay.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithric (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Pyrotech)
Shadowlands Server

TrinityLyre
04.20.2014 , 06:30 PM | #23
lol, if only saying it made it true.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Spouse Aggro
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Verain
04.20.2014 , 07:17 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
lol, if only saying it made it true.
I bet the guy saying that is a dev smurf account! Those guys probably believe it snerk snerk :P

TheGreatSatan
04.22.2014 , 12:47 PM | #25
EMP is good at locking people's engine components down so they can't escape and for a second/third missile break and temporary immunity from lock-ons.

It's pretty crap against bombers.
Strix of The Bastion

tunewalker
04.22.2014 , 01:44 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
EMP is good at locking people's engine components down so they can't escape and for a second/third missile break and temporary immunity from lock-ons.

It's pretty crap against bombers.
Ya.... if you were going to hit them with an EMP and have it land just so missiles could land you either need to be in chat to let allies know and have them flying something that can take advantage of that, or you would be better off hitting them with a missile that would just have killed them instead.

Zharik
04.22.2014 , 03:33 PM | #27
http://aisthesis.shivtr.com/gallery_images/696528
This is a tier 2 EMP Missile vs 2 bombers, 3 turrets and a scout. 2839 damage, 6 destroyed targets (some were hit by my other EMP Missile earlier) and turrets disabled for 15 seconds... which is long enough to kill all 3 with quads.

Use tactics when deploying these weapons! In WWII, torpedo bombers (fighters with 1 torpedo under their belly) did not dogfight, they tried to sink enemy ships. You are trying to dogfight with a missile not designed for dogfighting!
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Member.

Nemarus
04.22.2014 , 04:43 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
This is a tier 2 EMP Missile vs 2 bombers, 3 turrets and a scout. 2839 damage, 6 destroyed targets (some were hit by my other EMP Missile earlier) and turrets disabled for 15 seconds... which is long enough to kill all 3 with quads.

Use tactics when deploying these weapons! In WWII, torpedo bombers (fighters with 1 torpedo under their belly) did not dogfight, they tried to sink enemy ships. You are trying to dogfight with a missile not designed for dogfighting!
Bombers who waste time building big minefields are stupid anyway, given how long it takes to build field and how little time it takes for it to be destroyed.

Regardless, even by destroying their mines, you didn't "root out" either Bomber. If they were Minelayers, they had new Seismics or Seekers out in 0-15 seconds, depending on the state of their Secondary cooldown. And they'll have new System Mines out in exactly 16 seconds. Unless you and your team can quickly coordinate to get sustained LOS on at least one Bomber and destroy it in 15 seconds, nothing meaningful happens. And getting that sustained LOS is hard .

Meanwhile all the Bombers have to do is orbit the satellite close and fast for 15 seconds and then it's like you never fired the missile at all.

You are right in that EMP Missile is absolutely crucial for destroying turrets if you don't have Armor Piercing weaponry. But considering every variant of Strike and Scout EXCEPT for the Command variants has easy access to Armor Piercing (Rocket Pods, BLC's, HLC's), that's hardly a check in the Command variants' favor.

In other words, the only person who really needs EMP Missile help in destroying turrets is you--your allies can 3-shot them with minimal laser cost and superficial shield damage.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Pilgrim_Grey
04.22.2014 , 04:50 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post

Hey, that's great. How'd it go after that point when they all responded and swarmed on the strike and dropped more mines while the EMP missile was reloading (and the stuff that was out of range of the blast was able to trigger on you)? If that all didn't happen, they weren't very good.

Don't get me wrong, EMP is nice to help clear a satellite (and that screenie could have been the start of a good, coordinated assault on a satellite), but it rarely clears the whole thing and even when it does, they just throw out more mines and drones a few seconds later. I decided to pick EMP up on my Tier 3 scout since the other options just are frustrating going into a defended satellite, but it doesn't change the fact that EMP is not a great counter to bombers on a satellite. If you want a satellite cleared, bring in a gunship with Ion aoe. I've been forced to do it lately since everyone wants to fly a bomber as of late and people aren't flying gunships enough (or smartly enough).
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithric (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Pyrotech)
Shadowlands Server

Gavin_Kelvar
04.22.2014 , 04:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
Hey, that's great. How'd it go after that point when they all responded and swarmed on the strike and dropped more mines while the EMP missile was reloading (and the stuff that was out of range of the blast was able to trigger on you)? If that all didn't happen, they weren't very good.

Don't get me wrong, EMP is nice to help clear a satellite (and that screenie could have been the start of a good, coordinated assault on a satellite), but it rarely clears the whole thing and even when it does, they just throw out more mines and drones a few seconds later. I decided to pick EMP up on my Tier 3 scout since the other options just are frustrating going into a defended satellite, but it doesn't change the fact that EMP is not a great counter to bombers on a satellite. If you want a satellite cleared, bring in a gunship with Ion aoe. I've been forced to do it lately since everyone wants to fly a bomber as of late and people aren't flying gunships enough (or smartly enough).
you also have the problem that you don't have a regular missile that can punch through the bomber's shields and armor so while you can clear the minefield you may lack the necessary tools to follow up and kill the bomber.
Aodhán Guilhem
Republic Strike Fighter Pilot
Jedi Covenant