Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Scouts Secondary Weapons Are Garbage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
New Scouts Secondary Weapons Are Garbage

Korithras
04.15.2014 , 06:29 PM | #1
As the title says, they suck. We get Ion Missiles and EMP Missiles which are only useful in certain situations, like to knock out shields or try to deplete an enemy's power reserves. The only real choice is the Thermite Torpedo, which has excellent range but a slow lock-on time and the narrowest window to lock on a target by far.

Could we at least score some rocket pods? Something that at the very least, is more practical in terms of dealing damage?

QuinMantha
04.15.2014 , 06:49 PM | #2
...say 'please', young man.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

Elly_Dawn
04.15.2014 , 07:35 PM | #3
yes, may we please have Rocket Pods for the Type 3 Scout (Bloodmark)?.. i would rather have Dumbfire Rockets over what we have available to us now...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

Gerfaut
04.15.2014 , 07:58 PM | #4
The main issue with the T3 scout and strike fighter secondary weapons is that every single one of them has a 12 sec reload time, with a 3 or 4 sec lock-on time. This means that these weapons can be fired AT MOST every 15 seconds, or 4 times per minute. In practice, with the target flying evasively and breaking LOS or boosting out of range, locks will be achieved a lot less often. Scouts and gunships with distorsion field and barrel roll get 6 lock breaks per minute (distorsion field every 20 sec and barrel roll every 20 sec). Scouts that use a different engine component can break locks even more often, and T1 scouts can also use EMP field to break locks. This means that, unless someone else is also trying to get a lock on your target, these missiles/torpedoes will never actually land against any half-way competent scout or gunship. Every single lock will be broken.

I think that each of those ships should have one secondary weapon option with a shorter CD, for instance rocket pods for the scout and concussion missile for the strike. Right now, when I fly one of those ships, I feel like I might as well not have any secondary weapons, because I so rarely land a hit with them, except against bombers or newbies.

Delta_V
04.15.2014 , 08:29 PM | #5
Yeah, WTB Rocket Pods for the T3 Scout and Concussion Missiles for the T3 Strike. They still fit the overall theme of each ship (w/ the Strike being about "eliminating stationary targets and armored objectives") but significantly more practical for general use.

The other options are just IMO too specialized to be practical for ships w/ only 2 weapons. ProTorps, Ion Missiles, and EMP Missiles are ok on the T2 Strike (even if the 2nd is questionably useful and the 3rd is horribly underpowered) because it can still mount a 2nd, more general-purpose secondary weapon (read Clusters or Conc Missiles). Thermites seem interesting, especially after the buff, but again, with all the same drawbacks as ProTorps, they are rather impractical as your *only* secondary weapon.

Also WTB Heavy Lasers for the T3 Strike. They'd even fit in w/ the whole "anti-armored objectives" theme its got going on w/ its secondary weapons.
The Harbinger Server
The Shepard Legacy
Sibbel - 55 Sentinel
Ethmandel - 55 Commando

Verain
04.15.2014 , 10:01 PM | #6
These weapons are intended to be garbage, as the craft is support. Obviously it would be superior with rocket pods- most ships would!

Armonddd
04.15.2014 , 10:13 PM | #7
If the Bloodmark is going to get kills through burst damage like the rest of its scout brethren, it needs rocked pods. Laser cannons and pods are enough to land a kill on a weakened target, and then the Bloodmark would have the option of bringing Targeting Telemetry and pretending it's a Blackbolt.

If it is supposed to sacrifice kills for support, I can understand and agree with the design decision to sacrifice bursty secondary weapons for strong support skills. However, in that case, its support skills need some major work. Currently Tensor Field is as much of a liability as an asset once you leave the spawn point -- it just becomes too easy to overturn and suicide, since there's no warning that you're suddenly playing with ice skates instead of snowshoes. Combat Command, unfortunately, is nearly useless -- +20% accuracy, while strong, is pretty niche, and +7% crit chance and extra power regeneration are going to have a pretty low impact in any situation. Both of these skills also encourage players to ball up, which makes it easier to get hit.

I think, rather than adding rocket pods and turning the Bloodmark into a weirdly slow dogfighter, I'd like to see EMP and ion missiles buffed to usability on all ships. I'd also like to see the command abilities buffed; the Bloodmark sacrifices a lot of burst capability and mobility across four (!) component slots for these things, and they're supposedly a defining feature of the craft. Let's make them definitive, then.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Verain
04.15.2014 , 10:24 PM | #8
Tensor field is never a disadvantage. That statement blows my mind!

Armonddd
04.15.2014 , 10:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Tensor field is never a disadvantage. That statement blows my mind!
I crashed earlier because of it. Was trying to weave around a satellite, suddenly tensor, suddenly extra speed and turning, suddenly I'm not moving at the rate I've been used to for the past four months, space fin space fin space fin space fin pain.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Morgrid
04.15.2014 , 10:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
I crashed earlier because of it. Was trying to weave around a satellite, suddenly tensor, suddenly extra speed and turning, suddenly I'm not moving at the rate I've been used to for the past four months, space fin space fin space fin space fin pain.
I had that problem when I went from a Razorwire to a Blackbolt.

*Spawn*

*Crash*

Trust me, fly with a Bloodmark for a day or two. Yeah it's going to be a system shock, but it's a fun little ship.

And the thermites it carries? They scare the crap out of my bomber.
Darth ImperÓus of The Ebon Hawk.

Galactic Champion of "Chase the Bomber"