Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Returning after 1 Year, Start Over or Use Existing Characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Returning after 1 Year, Start Over or Use Existing Characters?

Coolrockski's Avatar


Coolrockski
03.28.2014 , 07:02 AM | #1
When I left, I was an Op healer lev 40 and Merc healer lev 41. I do not want to heal this time, mostly because of all the **** people give you in flashpoints. I was thinking about going DPS Merc or Op. I don't want something OP, but fun to play and solid. Which is a good choice?

The other problem is I totally forgot how to play. There is no way I can go into a warzone and have a clue what to do. I know it will come back, but should I just start over with something else like a sniper?

Both of my 40s have warzome commendations, so i don't really want to lose those. I even turned some in to get about 250 ranked commendations.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Heal-To-Full's Avatar


Heal-To-Full
03.28.2014 , 07:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Coolrockski View Post
The other problem is I totally forgot how to play. There is no way I can go into a warzone and have a clue what to do. I know it will come back, but should I just start over with something else like a sniper?
Do snipers still have that "Q for warzone" button? Haven't seen one in arenas in ages (well, days).

Mercs and PTs both still rock.

If you want to reacquaint yourself with a class, here's an idea: start a new character of the same class, but different advanced class (and maybe even pubside). Opposing AC play fairly similar to one another. Then when you get back into the groove, can switch back.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

Smuglebunny's Avatar


Smuglebunny
03.28.2014 , 07:27 AM | #3
Sniper is the god class and on my server I see myself plus at least one other sniper in ever FP and WZ.

Its the best class at the moment. IMO. Approaching a slinger/sniper out of stealth is death if they see you. The only way they die is focus fire and stealth. And...we can kinda see stealth coming.

In arenas they get focused because they are stationary. Be a moblie sniper = win.

Mercs are pretty ok now. Compared to before. Pyro is beast.

Coolrockski's Avatar


Coolrockski
03.28.2014 , 08:14 AM | #4
How does Op Lethality play? Is all close up fighting or a mix? Any utility?

Capt_Beers's Avatar


Capt_Beers
03.28.2014 , 08:37 AM | #5
Arsenal Merc is no where near as bad as it was a year ago so I would suggest trying that out. Ops are basically only going to be healers after 2.7 unless you are really good at Concealment since they are losing the KD.

If you don't want to do those PT is a sold choice as is Assassin or Marauder. Sorcs can also be fun and very effective but are harder to play to the full potential and count on the rest of the team more than Sin's or Mara's.
<FREE UGLY> - POT5 - <SUPER BADS>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

BobaFaceroll's Avatar


BobaFaceroll
03.28.2014 , 09:02 AM | #6
Lethality is primarily a <10m class. You can DOT people up at range but need to be close for Shiv and Cull. In 2.7 it will get a bit more survivable with the changes coming to Shield Probe (which gets buffed in the Lethality tree) and a guaranteed heal proc when you roll. It's still probably not going to be a group ranked spec but if you don't care about that then it's going to be at least as strong (if not stronger) than Concealment.

Vodrin's Avatar


Vodrin
03.28.2014 , 09:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
Arsenal Merc is no where near as bad as it was a year ago so I would suggest trying that out. Ops are basically only going to be healers after 2.7 unless you are really good at Concealment since they are losing the KD.

If you don't want to do those PT is a sold choice as is Assassin or Marauder. Sorcs can also be fun and very effective but are harder to play to the full potential and count on the rest of the team more than Sin's or Mara's.
I would not recommend mara for anyone in 2.7 unless they have the patience to deal with some frustration as they learn, or they already have exceptional situational awareness. Carnage will be the most effective spec in 2.7 and it is not a spec that seems to come naturally to most players.

Coolrockski's Avatar


Coolrockski
03.28.2014 , 12:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaFaceroll View Post
Lethality is primarily a <10m class. You can DOT people up at range but need to be close for Shiv and Cull. In 2.7 it will get a bit more survivable with the changes coming to Shield Probe (which gets buffed in the Lethality tree) and a guaranteed heal proc when you roll. It's still probably not going to be a group ranked spec but if you don't care about that then it's going to be at least as strong (if not stronger) than Concealment.
What do you mean when you say Lethality is not a group ranked spec? Groups won't want me on flash points with them or teams in PVP?

Puissant's Avatar


Puissant
03.28.2014 , 12:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Coolrockski View Post
What do you mean when you say Lethality is not a group ranked spec? Groups won't want me on flash points with them or teams in PVP?
He means 4v4 ranked arenas. Lethality is fine for everything else.

chosonman's Avatar


chosonman
03.28.2014 , 02:12 PM | #10
IMO If you haven't reached lvl 55 with any characters yet then you should at least get one to 55 before starting on a new one. You don't know what you're missing. I spend more time gear grinding and learning the nuances of high lvl pvp than I did lvling 3 characters to 55.