Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

Crawelc
03.26.2014 , 09:32 PM | #21
The only hope I have for ESO, and yes I have it preordered and cant wait to play. Is that it is not all about the zerg. You can take a small group, raid outlying resources, and make the zerg at the keep a moot point. Wildstar is just what everyone else in this thread has said. I know many people are excited for the arenas, but how do you have successful arenas when all the abilities are AOE?
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

Sappharan
03.26.2014 , 09:34 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
the bad days of Alterac Valley in WoW, where it was just two 40 man zergs fighting on a bridge for an hour, AoE-spamming each other to death.
Yes, that got old--fast. It was so bad that I had heard rumor that some of those battlegrounds lasted for hours before a team was victorious. And it was never the same team that spawned in the battleground, so many players had joined and quit over the duration.

Cernow
03.26.2014 , 10:49 PM | #23
DAOC - got the whole Realm vs Realm thing right - the original and the best. Sadly its popularity waned when they tried to compete with WoW and added too much PVE into the game.

WAR - made a mess of it - bad map and keep design and only two factions meant it was advantageous to just swap keeps via PVD (Player vs Door).

GW2 - WvWvW could have been good, but suffers problems with handling large battles and balancing populations. Large zerg battles are just a nasty mess of aoe and poor framerates.

ESO - AvA has potential, we'll have to see how it develops after launch. One problem I forsee is that whilst the game runs on one big mega server, the PvP part is instanced into lots of separate 3-way battles, I assume with hard caps on participants. It's going to be hard to develop any sense of 'realm pride' in an instanced environment that may no longer be active next time you log on.

SWTOR - engine can't handle it. End of discussion, sadly.

Zakmonster
03.27.2014 , 02:12 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
The only hope I have for ESO, and yes I have it preordered and cant wait to play. Is that it is not all about the zerg. You can take a small group, raid outlying resources, and make the zerg at the keep a moot point. Wildstar is just what everyone else in this thread has said. I know many people are excited for the arenas, but how do you have successful arenas when all the abilities are AOE?
Even GW2 and Warhammer Online had the same thing going on, to have smaller bands attacking secondary objectives and resources.

No one ever bothers. The zerg is all there is.

EDIT: But you never know, they might have struck a happy balance with ESO. If RvR is your thing, I'm not gonna stop you from playing and I hope you enjoy yourself.
The Harbinger Server: Caezia - Level 55 Vanguard / Cezia - Level 60 Powertech / Zaethia - Level 55 Guardian / Xaethia - Level 33 Scoundrel / Caedia - Level 50 Vanguard / Vaknia - Level 60 Mercenary / Xethia - Level 28 Marauder / Zaenia - Level 60 Juggernaut / Zethia- Level 38 Commando

foxmob
03.27.2014 , 06:35 AM | #25
RE: ESO pvp...

I never made it that far. I didn't like the UI. Running around with a targeting reticule reminded me too much of a consoler. Abilities/options sucked too, but that could just be that I didn't level very far (6 or 7 iirc). got bored. maps weren't working or servers were down when I had an hour to play.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Joesixxpack
03.27.2014 , 06:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Yeah exactly. Betas had zerg fests and I'm chalking that up partly to the low levels in beta factor. There was also intelligent small group stuff going on and some strategizing that caught my interest.

I'm waiting to see how it shapes up, zergs rolling around like PS2 bores the hell out of me.

TechTheHic
03.27.2014 , 07:33 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
Even GW2 and Warhammer Online had the same thing going on, to have smaller bands attacking secondary objectives and resources.

No one ever bothers. The zerg is all there is.

EDIT: But you never know, they might have struck a happy balance with ESO. If RvR is your thing, I'm not gonna stop you from playing and I hope you enjoy yourself.
The difference from GW2 is the fact that the zerg cannot just rez easily on the spot and keep its huge numbers. It requires crystals and is very risky to try to perform the rez. They can set up tents, but those can easily be destroyed by a roaming small group that finds them, and that caused them to have to run from their nearest friendly keep; which in Cyrodiil, that run equates tot he time of running across the largest map in GW2, just from one keep to another. Thats when the fun begins for guys like me, cutting off the reinforcements. You also can only damage keeps with seige weapons so no whacking on the door, so the numbers are less effective as there is only so many siege weapons you can fit in an area and still be able to hit a specific point. Those weapons can also be destroyed.

Only thing you have to watch when cutting off reinforcements is the zergs can be really dumb and all attack the front door while defenders drop oil on their head, killing them in droves. We were on vent making fun of them for it but it also meant that you could be jumping in front of a huge rush of players, zerging back to where they died. Good thing everyone can sneak and it is much easier for the more nimble, smaller group to do.

Obviously, there is strength in numbers but having a brain pays off. Its no different here when you have the PUGs single file respawning and just running right back at the enemy without waiting to regroup. Or if they over commit to have more players in the mass zerg, a lot of times we had success with a small group of us (ESO, a small group is like 20!) attacking enemy keeps away from the zerg and taking it before the enemy could react as they would rely on getting their mass numbers. Once ran a scroll that we captured back, and as the zerg tried to come intercept, it gave our much smaller zerg (DC on Azuras Star was considerably smaller) a window where they pushed and regained a keep.

Our smaller faction owned probably 40% of the map at the end of the last beta while EP (appeared to be second smallest/argest) had another 40% and the huge zerg that happened to be AD who was trying to fight both us and EP were left with pretty much their minimum after they had dominated most the map earlier that morning.

Will I eventually get bored of it? I don't know. I do know I am already bored of the 4v4 8v8 small scale crap so I will enjoy it while I can.

madtycoon
03.27.2014 , 07:33 AM | #28
Big persistence battles = zergfests

zergfests aren't fun

If they could make it none zergy, then that would be different.

I don't think it would work in this game.

TechTheHic
03.27.2014 , 07:38 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by madtycoon View Post
Big persistence battles = zergfests

zergfests aren't fun

If they could make it none zergy, then that would be different.

I don't think it would work in this game.
Small instanced battels = getting queued with derps = derpfests

derpfests aren't fun.

They try to make it non derpy by dumbing things down here. It doesn't work. Can't stop the derp.

Joesixxpack
03.27.2014 , 07:41 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TechTheHic View Post
Small instanced battels = getting queued with derps = derpfests

derpfests aren't fun.

They try to make it non derpy by dumbing things down here. It doesn't work. Can't stop the derp.
Got any ranged recommendations? I stuck with just one char to level quicker, tanky melee.