Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

Monterone
03.24.2014 , 05:04 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Paranowa View Post
Before i get started I just want to make it clear I love SWTOR and have no intentions of leaving for ESO.

On that note I am very intrigued at the the way they are doing the PvP. The one giant PvP map and guilds fight over castles and resources on the map and its all persistent is a very interesting concept. For those of you who have no idea what im talking about there are plenty of youtube videos of alpha players that go into way more detail and i encourage you to check it out.

Now I am sure just like every MMO PvP it will have its advantages and shortfalls and nobody really knows how it will work out until the game is released.

I just want to see what everyones thoughts are on something similar for SWTOR. I am not saying having a carbon copy of it for SWTOR but something with a similar concept. I feel the star wars environment is perfect for this concept. I think it would be awesome to have a whole planet that is just a giant PvP persistent battle. Republic and Empire fight over control of cities and outposts and can collectively purchase defenses and resources based on income from the areas they control. Even promoting players or guilds to some sort of General or Senate type of roles to control the battle field and guide players coming in where they are needed. The possibilties are huge of what you could do with it.

Whats your thoughts?
Sounds an awful lot like GW2. I tried to beta test ESO but it was beyond broken for me, could not even get the game started after numerous attempts and fixes.

Good to hear the PvP is similar to GW2 since I already play GW2, no need to pick up another game.
Saminette
<DMG Ctrl> <Purple Cog>
Harbinger

Raansu
03.24.2014 , 05:35 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
ESO = cluster **** PvP. There's no skill, it's just who has more AoE and more players.
That's all owpvp ever is. I don't mind skirmishes out in the open world, but I really do fine the massive aoe spams to be incredibly boring.

CaraExas
03.24.2014 , 05:51 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
Here is a link to some promising PvP updates for SWTOR:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=730402
lol....sweet zinger.
<Failure>

Group 4 10/10 HM Rav/ToS

Thanil

SOULCASTER
03.24.2014 , 05:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CaraExas View Post
lol....sweet zinger.
hehe
Soulcaster
www.twitch.tv/CidxPvP
Come watch me log on and hit the buttons that light up!

Tevzz
03.24.2014 , 06:16 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
ESO = cluster **** PvP. There's no skill, it's just who has more AoE and more players.
Pretty much this...and the worst is, it's getting more and more common for MMO's. GW2 has the same OWPvP design and I find it absolutely terrible.
Vanov - CarnageVanv - VengeanceDarrthvanov - DeceptionVnv - FocusVa'nov - APVnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands - Reading Rainbow - Triumph

So-low
03.24.2014 , 07:27 PM | #16
I only play bad buggy games that cater to bads and the devs ignore, so this game is fine as is.
<Lukewarm Tauntauns> GM

Subscriber Rewards - Free Server Xfer + 7 Days Sub Time + Free Gift Bundle at http://www.swtor.com/r/jqdvYL

DrewFromPhilly
03.24.2014 , 08:16 PM | #17
Not sure why everyone is so excited over that when GW2 has exactly the same thing with no subscription fee and an already established community. Actually, after watching eso videos im starting to think WvWvW is better.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monterone View Post
Sounds an awful lot like GW2. I tried to beta test ESO but it was beyond broken for me, could not even get the game started after numerous attempts and fixes.

Good to hear the PvP is similar to GW2 since I already play GW2, no need to pick up another game.
what server are you on in gw2? maguuma #1 #magswag

Sappharan
03.26.2014 , 09:02 PM | #18
I have NEVER understood why people keep pining and whining for open world pvp. The OP was very polite. Still, I am glad that most respondents have condemned it either tacitly or directly.

I have played quite a few MMOs and I have yet to see open world PVP done well. The closest and most fun large scale battles I have ever played were in AV (WoW) and the castle siege in WoW also--but I cannot remember the name of that battleground; it has been so many years now.

Odyseus
03.26.2014 , 09:21 PM | #19
Both ESO and Wildstar are both PVE games. I was ready to divorce myself from SWTOR until I played the ESO Beta, which was an all around crap fest. Wildstar, I love the game, graphics, the PVE, but I detest the PVP. Not enough abilities and when you have more than 4 players on the screen the spell projections clutter up the screen and it's impossible tell who's attacking you. Major fail on the PVP. There's no need to change tab targeting. Every MMO company that's tried it has failed miserably.
Odysseus, SWG server Flurry, Commando, TK/Rifleman, Fencer/Combat Medic.

Zakmonster
03.26.2014 , 09:22 PM | #20
I've never been a big fan of Realm vs Realm combat. Open World PvP is fine, when its several small packs of players hunting each other, or skirmishes in a questing zone, but the entire concept of 40+ people attacking a wall for an hour has never really appealed to me.

I played Warhammer Online, GW2 and I was very bored with the RvR and WvWvW in those games. Pounding on a door for 15 minutes got boring really fast. I much prefer smaller scale PvP.

Even the Warplots in Wildstar aren't very appealing to me right now. It just reminds me of the bad days of Alterac Valley in WoW, where it was just two 40 man zergs fighting on a bridge for an hour, AoE-spamming each other to death.
The Harbinger Server: Caezia - Level 55 Vanguard / Cezia - Level 60 Powertech / Zaethia - Level 55 Guardian / Xaethia - Level 33 Scoundrel / Caedia - Level 50 Vanguard / Vaknia - Level 60 Mercenary / Xethia - Level 28 Marauder / Zaenia - Level 60 Juggernaut / Zethia- Level 38 Commando