Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Love the concept behind ESO PvP.. Thoughts for SWTOR?

Paranowa
03.24.2014 , 11:48 AM | #1
Before i get started I just want to make it clear I love SWTOR and have no intentions of leaving for ESO.

On that note I am very intrigued at the the way they are doing the PvP. The one giant PvP map and guilds fight over castles and resources on the map and its all persistent is a very interesting concept. For those of you who have no idea what im talking about there are plenty of youtube videos of alpha players that go into way more detail and i encourage you to check it out.

Now I am sure just like every MMO PvP it will have its advantages and shortfalls and nobody really knows how it will work out until the game is released.

I just want to see what everyones thoughts are on something similar for SWTOR. I am not saying having a carbon copy of it for SWTOR but something with a similar concept. I feel the star wars environment is perfect for this concept. I think it would be awesome to have a whole planet that is just a giant PvP persistent battle. Republic and Empire fight over control of cities and outposts and can collectively purchase defenses and resources based on income from the areas they control. Even promoting players or guilds to some sort of General or Senate type of roles to control the battle field and guide players coming in where they are needed. The possibilties are huge of what you could do with it.

Whats your thoughts?

Luckeyduckey
03.24.2014 , 12:02 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Paranowa View Post
Before i get started I just want to make it clear I love SWTOR and have no intentions of leaving for ESO.

On that note I am very intrigued at the the way they are doing the PvP. The one giant PvP map and guilds fight over castles and resources on the map and its all persistent is a very interesting concept. For those of you who have no idea what im talking about there are plenty of youtube videos of alpha players that go into way more detail and i encourage you to check it out.

Now I am sure just like every MMO PvP it will have its advantages and shortfalls and nobody really knows how it will work out until the game is released.

I just want to see what everyones thoughts are on something similar for SWTOR. I am not saying having a carbon copy of it for SWTOR but something with a similar concept. I feel the star wars environment is perfect for this concept. I think it would be awesome to have a whole planet that is just a giant PvP persistent battle. Republic and Empire fight over control of cities and outposts and can collectively purchase defenses and resources based on income from the areas they control. Even promoting players or guilds to some sort of General or Senate type of roles to control the battle field and guide players coming in where they are needed. The possibilties are huge of what you could do with it.

Whats your thoughts?
ESO = cluster **** PvP. There's no skill, it's just who has more AoE and more players.
Extermination
Extinctiøn
Terrørist

Joesixxpack
03.24.2014 , 12:04 PM | #3
I wish. Ilum was much simpler and much smaller than Cyrodiil and it failed. I doubt the game could handle more substantial OWPVP; and if it could the devs wouldn't bother anyway if their initiatives and communications to date are any indication.

I'll probably dual-sub ESO, at least for a bit. PVP in beta was interesting enough that I'd like to check it out some more. Never got a WS beta invite and so will be waiting to see on that one.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

cycao
03.24.2014 , 12:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
ESO = cluster **** PvP. There's no skill, it's just who has more AoE and more players.
Wild Star appears to almost have the same concept in lot's of AoE with limited abilities.

Zoom_VI
03.24.2014 , 12:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Wild Star appears to almost have the same concept in lot's of AoE with limited abilities.
God forbid that players should have actual rotations rather than mashing AoE buttons.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

sanjocity
03.24.2014 , 12:17 PM | #6
ESO PvP is exactly like that of GW2 massive groups that is not really OpenWorld PvP its just a huge battleground that you que up for and you could never really find a 1v1 or atleast a 1v2 its more like 1v25+ in my experience with GW2 i got tired of it that style of PvP when you run one direction and find yourself head on to a group of 25+ chasing you across the entire map to kill you
Member of Gentlemen Gankers
The Bastion Server

Marcus__
03.24.2014 , 12:25 PM | #7
They're going for a more DAoC style pvp. Back to MMO roots

Davie_McG
03.24.2014 , 02:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Marcus__ View Post
They're going for a more DAoC style pvp. Back to MMO roots
Well the executive producer of Dark Age of Camelot Matt Firor is the director of ESO, so the PvP in that game will be very similar. Looking forward to how it is after a few months with experienced players rather than just the beta zergs of level 10 - 20 characters running around.

I would love to see SWTOR implement something like this, even if it was space oriented. However if the dip in frames when I pass the GTN is any indication of how SWTOR handles a dense group of 50 - 100 players then I would wait till they optimize their game engine for dealing with large groups of enemies before looking to see anything like the PvP in DAoC or GW2.

SOULCASTER
03.24.2014 , 03:43 PM | #9
Here is a link to some promising PvP updates for SWTOR:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=730402
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic

Pistols
03.24.2014 , 03:47 PM | #10
Lol ^

/thread