Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DISCUSSION: So what, exactly, is a GSF Ace?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
DISCUSSION: So what, exactly, is a GSF Ace?

Zoom_VI
03.23.2014 , 11:12 AM | #21
Having a K/D ratio higher than 5. Done.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Levitt
03.23.2014 , 11:44 AM | #22
Having some kind of base statistic criteria is good to show competency, but to me the Ace (or even Elite - I like the two tiers) title is something that needs to be given by those you fly with or against.

Maybe that's how it should work out, where an Ace is the more stats focused recognition and an Elite pilot is recognized by the community. Those can be two very different things.
Jedi Covenant Gunship Pilot
Levvix - Republic
Levv - Imperial

mr_sim
03.23.2014 , 01:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Having a K/D ratio higher than 5. Done.
No good, too team dependent. Also there are only so many kills to go around, so if a player is killed 3 times they must gain 15 kills, that's 30% of your teams kills in TDM and even then that assumes 0 opponent self destructs.

No 5 KDR is Elite territory. If we are adapting the Ace term to GSF it should reflect practical numbers.

Here's a good check to know if your proposed K/D ratio is too high. In TDM there are 50 available kills, these kills are distributed over all 12 players on that team. As well some kills will be lost to self destructs. Also we can factor assists at a value of 0.5. Taking these numbers if your K/D ratio makes it impossible to have a team of 12 aces then it is too high. It is certainly possible to have a team of 12 aces

Again I propose Ace to be equal to KDR > 1 where a player must also have Fleet Captain Achievement to ensure a large enough sample size. This IMO is a standard that will as best as possible to declare a player competent and an asset in any match they play. It also weeds out most team bias, as Ace is a reflection of individual players and solo ques will be recognized appropriately for their skills.

I stress once more, Do not confuse Aces and Elites anyone should be able with enough work to achieve Ace status that's how the RL title certainly works.
Striker Pilot - Jedi Covenant - Imperial Forces

<Roving Guns>

OscarDivine
03.23.2014 , 04:20 PM | #24
I don't fully understand the purpose of standardization of terms for this. Now you want to create two categories? What about creating lowly status as well? Man, I was flying against a bunch of Trash Mobs Yesterday and got 28 kills! This has gotten a bit ridiculous ... we will then get back to people posting screenies and self nominating because they met criterion. There was a purpose to the aces thread which was quickly lost because of player arrogance and epeening.

Zoom_VI
03.23.2014 , 05:49 PM | #25
I ment 5 or greater battle record kills not individual match K/D
Crinn

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 05:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by OscarDivine View Post
I don't fully understand the purpose of standardization of terms for this.
What else are you gonna do between queues and/or while procrastinating an essay?
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

OscarDivine
03.23.2014 , 06:12 PM | #27
Fair point, but there really should be a tangible goal at the end of all this discussion. So far as I can tell, defining these terms to a standard get us no further if we cannot educate the population of forum posters on said terms.

If a second Aces thread were to appear, these definitions could be used, but then that means a new thread would have to be started and we all know that would end up the same way as the last.

mr_sim
03.23.2014 , 07:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
I ment 5 or greater battle record kills not individual match K/D
Yeah doesn't matter, 5 K/D is still insanely high for Ace, if you wanted to say 5 kills per match, sure maybe. But not a ratio of 5 that's crazy high numbers. Clearly you don't understand what an Ace is, Try Wikipedia.
Striker Pilot - Jedi Covenant - Imperial Forces

<Roving Guns>

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 07:51 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
Yeah doesn't matter, 5 K/D is still insanely high for Ace, if you wanted to say 5 kills per match, sure maybe. But not a ratio of 5 that's crazy high numbers. Clearly you don't understand what an Ace is, Try Wikipedia.
If you think 5 K/D is a lot, well, uh, I mean...
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Zoom_VI
03.23.2014 , 08:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
IRL a ace is 5 career kills, also in real life you only get one death. So having a K/D of 5 in GSF is a related benchmark.

On a side note I am easily certain that getting a K/D of five or higher in GSF is way easier than five kills IRL.
Crinn