Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

some very quiet people that you meet in the game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
some very quiet people that you meet in the game

Mad_Magus
03.26.2014 , 06:11 PM | #21
While I get Scaletblaze's point of view, some folks are shy. But, that said.I have problems with people who ninja group you and then don't speak at all while the group is active. I have to put forward that my only reason for playing an MMO at all is for the interaction with other players. I have lots of single player games I still find interesting. I've grouped with folks for whom English is a very distant second language, and had decent conversations with them. Hiccups, sure, but fun. My thought is that people who group you and don't talk, are, well, users. You're good enough to help. but not good enough to talk to. I tend to drop the group pretty quickly now it there's no interaction.

Saix
03.26.2014 , 06:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hebdomas View Post
As someone with high functioning autism and social anxiety I agree, at least for myself. If I join a group and the other member(s) offer a greeting then I'll greet them as well. I'll communicate as needed or required in order to keep the group effective, or when etiquette and common courtesy dictate. I rarely initiate things when involving others I don't know such as creating a group and/or being group leader. (I do gradually "warm up" when it comes to conversation, but this typically takes longer than an average PUG lasts.)

I usually decline blind invites unless I can see the player is nearby and appear to be working on the same mission. Even then there is normally a greeting and/or asking if I'm doing the same mission once I've joined. There have been times when I joined a group and no one said anything, we'd follow each other, complete our task(s) in the area and then disband.

Plotenox - The placement of the vowels in "kirou-habbua" made me think it might not be gibberish. I did a search and it searched for "Kirou Habbo" listing sites that mostly seemed French, there was also a similar term "cria habbo" which appears to be related to some online social game in Portuguese. My guess is you probably encountered a player who is from Brazil.
As someone with a high level of understanding for French, Kirou Habbo sounds like it is of Algerian or some sort of North African origin. The language culture in that area is a mixture of French and Arabic.
Qorthon Lertxundi- Corellian Jedi Master - Guardian
Doctor Jurric Lertxundi - Sawbones Scoundrel
Lunix-kai - Sith Lord - Marauder
Lt. Aitor Lertxundi - Helix Squad - Vanguard

Khevar
03.26.2014 , 06:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
MMORPGs (not just TOR) socialization skills have suffered greatly since the rise of voice chat.

I was playing these games before Voice chat was ever possible. Players were much better typers and chatted often. But once Voice chat came out it almost instantly started to have a negative effect on PUGs and general socialization.
It's a shame you've had poor experiences with voice chat affecting your MMO experience.

Personally, I've had the opposite experience. The first guild I was in (in this game) was a decent size, and had 20-30 players on at any given time. Chat was used frequently, and it was nice to see life added to the game. Although people were friendly, I never really got around to really knowing anyone.

Fast forward to my current guild, where most of us are in voice chat all the time, even when playing other games (just to shoot the breeze). Over time, many of us have become real-life friends. And despite this, I still see plenty of people typing in guild chat, or officer chat, even in the middle of running operations.

My experience has seen voice chat improving the social experience, not detracting from it.

Kaedusz
03.26.2014 , 06:31 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by plotenox View Post
OK I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've seen some weird things so far. One of them includes being in a group with someone who doesn't talk...like at all. This doesn't happen often in my case but its happened like 3-4 times already,enough to make me get .
Usually it happens to me on the starter planets like Thython or Hutta. I would start on a new character to level up and out of nowhere I wold get a random group invite. I would accept the invite just out of curiosity and then I would ask why I got the invite. I got no response from the guy who invited me. I figured OK maybe its for the extra XP so I tagged along. I would later ask more questions of what we were going to do next. Again no reply. This happened a few times already and I would sometimes stay in the group for a while just to see the guy respond back to me. Nothing. He did his own missions while I did mine,even if I didn't help him he would still say nothing. Now the thing thats strange is that this same situation happened to me 3-4 times already like I said earlier. If this just happened 1 time then I probably wouldn't think about it much,but not in my case.
I just can't help thinking are these guys that shy even over the internet? Or are they just trolling me the whole time?

Have you guys had something like this?
you must be new to mmos and online multiplayer games. in general

i shrug off and forget such thing 3 minutes after i meet the guy

Tungstenses
03.26.2014 , 08:55 PM | #25
I never, ever, well, rarely talk to anyone in flashpoints. 1.) people are usually annoying and I'm just grinding so I just ignore them. 2.) the times I do talk is to scold someone for doing something so stupid it's unbelievable. 3.) I just don't like people.
People really feel obliged to talk to me even if I'm not in the mood too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Maldorans View Post
Reading tooltips in an MMO is like reading an instruction manual for a self assembly chest of drawers. It's only for noobs or possibly homosexuals. Real men don't read, they do.
http://http://www.swtor.com/r/prnpWZ Click that for REFER A FRIEND! I get free stuff and so do you!

plotenox
03.27.2014 , 10:28 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
you must be new to mmos and online multiplayer games. in general

i shrug off and forget such thing 3 minutes after i meet the guy
I played some of them in the last 5 years or so,but I guess thats kind of newish. heh

Still I find it all strange and wonder how common this really is and I'm guessing you witnessed this kind of thing too.
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

LYE-ON
03.27.2014 , 01:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Magus View Post
My thought is that people who group you and don't talk, are, well, users. You're good enough to help. but not good enough to talk to. I tend to drop the group pretty quickly now it there's no interaction.
Nooo! As a person with social anxiety this is one of my fears when I group up for flashpoints or heroics. I'm not a big talker. At all. The extent of my communications in groups are greetings, and thank-yous at the end. Occasionally if we're stumbling or someone is new to whatever we're doing I'll help guide 'em through it, giving small encouragements along the way. Anyway, whenever I join a FP the thought in the front of my head is always, "Crap what if they think I'm an jerk because I'm not talking??". I'm not being a douchebag, I swear! I'm just weirdly freaked out by talking to others. Hell, it takes me a good thirty minutes just to muster up the courage to submit a reply in a thread!

All I want is to do the dailies in peace without nearly losing my mind wondering if others are judging me for whatever reason. I wish it were easier to explain to people that even on the internet, I'm still affected by my anxiety. Don't know why I am, but I am. Thankfully I've come outta my shell a bit since I started playing back at launch. Back then I literally did not speak to anyone in-game. ^_^'"'
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

DomiSotto
03.28.2014 , 07:10 AM | #28
I play with the chat window set on "Other" setting, so I do not see what other people would say to me, just the PVE dialogues. I do not throw invites, but I accept sometimes. However, if I would forgot to switch the chat window to General, I simply would not see what another player is saying.

Also, when I try typing in Chat window it messes up with the game. I played long distance with my husband yesterday and totally fell behind before I figured out I was typing endless "wwwwww" instead of walking. It takes efforts to 'unstick' out of the chat window...

Does this help?

tanktest
03.30.2014 , 04:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Sociophobia exists as well.

I have a problem in real live like that but in game at times you can't shut me up is how I over come it I play games. but in real live i tend to not say any thing to any one in public because of that and one other health issue i have, I've had sense i was 18 I'm about to be 58 . I'm not lieing when i had my first attack i would not expect it, i was in the hosp for a year .
it under control now, I'm still afraid to out in public form time to time but do because i know its good to . but for some reason playing online games make me come out of it and I talk .

Hoech
03.30.2014 , 07:18 PM | #30
Honestly, I think your answer is a blend of most of things suggested by other people. Though I highly doubt these people are gold farmers.

I've seen this in a few MMO's, Tor, WoW, Perfect World, MU. For the most part I chalk it up to older (as in well established, not age ) players running their alts. If most of these 'silent invites' are happening around heavy quest objectives, it is probably just these older players grouping up with you real quick so you aren't fighting each other for spawns.

Some of these invites can also be from extremely new players. People who are also probably new to the game genre as well as the game and could be toying around with the game functions. Or they misunderstand how the grouping works, thinking that they may earn loot and xp from your kills even if you are on the other side of the map.

Some of it is also probably trolling. A week or so ago I was on Nar Shadaa on my new toon. Knocking out quests and what not. I got a random invite as I was leaving the safe zone, and I had a few group quests, so I said what the hell. When I looked at the person who invited me... he was 5-8 levels lower than me (though I was over leveled for the area so he may have been on point) both he and his companion were 'naked' except for their weapons, but he was still trying to go after quest objectives. I tried to get a response out of him a few times, finally, after I stopped killing things for him he simply said 'Take your top off.' - Not even a good attempt at trolling, just weird.

Fact of the matter is everyone has strange little quirks and assumptions. You'll probably never know the why of each instance, but you can make assumptions based on the context, and that is about as good as you will ever get.