Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

some very quiet people that you meet in the game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
some very quiet people that you meet in the game

plotenox
03.21.2014 , 11:50 AM | #1
OK I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've seen some weird things so far. One of them includes being in a group with someone who doesn't talk...like at all. This doesn't happen often in my case but its happened like 3-4 times already,enough to make me get .
Usually it happens to me on the starter planets like Thython or Hutta. I would start on a new character to level up and out of nowhere I wold get a random group invite. I would accept the invite just out of curiosity and then I would ask why I got the invite. I got no response from the guy who invited me. I figured OK maybe its for the extra XP so I tagged along. I would later ask more questions of what we were going to do next. Again no reply. This happened a few times already and I would sometimes stay in the group for a while just to see the guy respond back to me. Nothing. He did his own missions while I did mine,even if I didn't help him he would still say nothing. Now the thing thats strange is that this same situation happened to me 3-4 times already like I said earlier. If this just happened 1 time then I probably wouldn't think about it much,but not in my case.
I just can't help thinking are these guys that shy even over the internet? Or are they just trolling me the whole time?

Have you guys had something like this?
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

ScarletBlaze
03.21.2014 , 12:49 PM | #2
I can only respond based on me. I am a shy person, yes even on the internet. I know people may think that is weird but for me it is hard for me to talk to someone I don't know . I will say hi or something like that but as far as a lot of talking I don't .

Though I tend to only group with my friends, guild and boyfriend. I will only do LFG flashpoints if one or two of them are with me.

It takes me a bit to feel comfortable talking to someone I don't know. I know people are going to say why play an MMO then? I have friends and a guild I hang with and talk to and my boyfriend.

Just because it is the internet doesn't mean your shyness is gone. It is still there. Yea I know people do stupid things and use the internet as an excuse but for me I am who I am internet or not. To me using the internet as an excuse to be rude and mean is just an excuse.

Not sure this helps your question.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Cotlu-Hunlon
03.21.2014 , 01:29 PM | #3
1) Sometimes they don't speak your language
2) Bad mood and don't feel like small-talk
3) Only grouped for xp bonus
4) Maybe autistic / aspergers and don't understand it makes some people uncomfortable that they're not talking

Couldn't think of any other reasons, but yeah this has happened to me as well

Bao-Dur veteran

AlrikFassbauer
03.21.2014 , 01:55 PM | #4
Sociophobia exists as well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

VulgarMercurius
03.21.2014 , 03:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by plotenox View Post
OK I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've seen some weird things so far. One of them includes being in a group with someone who doesn't talk...like at all. This doesn't happen often in my case but its happened like 3-4 times already,enough to make me get .
Usually it happens to me on the starter planets like Thython or Hutta. I would start on a new character to level up and out of nowhere I wold get a random group invite. I would accept the invite just out of curiosity and then I would ask why I got the invite. I got no response from the guy who invited me. I figured OK maybe its for the extra XP so I tagged along. I would later ask more questions of what we were going to do next. Again no reply. This happened a few times already and I would sometimes stay in the group for a while just to see the guy respond back to me. Nothing. He did his own missions while I did mine,even if I didn't help him he would still say nothing. Now the thing thats strange is that this same situation happened to me 3-4 times already like I said earlier. If this just happened 1 time then I probably wouldn't think about it much,but not in my case.
I just can't help thinking are these guys that shy even over the internet? Or are they just trolling me the whole time?

Have you guys had something like this?
I've also had this happen a few times, and wondered as you did. Like, why group and then just go off by yourself? Does the xp boost persist despite distance?

RadiantZombie
03.21.2014 , 04:20 PM | #6
They probably don't speak English. A shy person doesn't randomly invite people just to not talk to them. A shy person does the exact opposite. Decline all invites and avoid conflict with other questers. Try to muster up the courage to LFG and bring no notice to yourself.

~a shy gamer that loves mmorpgs

TeilCron
03.21.2014 , 11:37 PM | #7
Every thought they are the same people that spam fleet chat trying to sell credits, these people don't respond to anything, just don't accept and if the send another invite you know they are trolling.
Sto'Vo'Kor DreddPool Raz'Taruran

plotenox
03.22.2014 , 09:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by VulgarMercurius View Post
I've also had this happen a few times, and wondered as you did. Like, why group and then just go off by yourself? Does the xp boost persist despite distance?
I don't think so.I notice I don't get any xp when 1 of my group members kills something in a far distance or in another area.

@TeilCron I never thought of that before,plus that kinda doesn't make sense to me. I figured if that was true that person would've tried to tell me to buy credits from somewhere at least. That hasn't happened to me yet.
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

Marlblankept
03.22.2014 , 10:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by plotenox View Post
-snip-
I've been on the receiving end of those random invites a few times. It's not awfully common, but happens at least once or twice a week (mostly on Hutta/Korriban and Dromund Kaas).
Now, I'm not the most social person myself (shy, even on the internet, as a few others on the thread have mentioned), but if I'm in a group, the least I can do is say a couple things. If these people simply invite and don't say anything, then I see no point in being in a group and take my leave.

I mean, it doesn't take more than a couple seconds to say something along the lines of "Just grouping for bonus xp" or "Help with quest, I don't speak english". But maybe that's just me.

ScarletBlaze
03.22.2014 , 12:14 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by VulgarMercurius View Post
Not for xp but you can get social points for the bonus kill. I had grouped with either my boyfriend or a guild member and was going to go join them on another planet and they completed a bonus mission and I got 2 social points for it.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30