Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Morgrid
03.14.2014 , 09:44 PM | #11
Couple of odd choices on the Razorwire. But nonetheless a good read.
Darth ImperÓus of The Ebon Hawk.

Galactic Champion of "Chase the Bomber"

Ramalina
03.14.2014 , 10:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
I do have one major complaint, though: with regards to targeting telemetry, please don't encourage people to use objectively bad components. I had [url="http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=718742"a mathy thread about this a while ago[/url], but the tl;dr is that +25% surge +15% accuracy +10% crit just flat out does not ever compare to +33% rate of fire +10% damage.
It's not an objectively bad component. It's a utility component rather than an offensive cooldown. Better to say that choosing a utility cooldown in a type 2 scout is an odd choice when you have an offensive cooldown available to you.

Also rate of fire increases only do any good if you're hitting with the extra shots, which is one reason I recommend damage capacitors over frequency capacitors, especially for newer pilots. It takes an awful lot of flat DPS to beat out frontloaded damage (Blaster Overcharge counts as a lot, Frequency Capacitors don't, BO+FC really count as a lot if you do most of your shooting with BO active and hit with most of your shots). Of course, given that the context was landing rockets on target, one presumes that a wise pilot is hitting with most or all of their shots.

To get into it a little bit more, given that the Type 2 scouts are the premier dogfighters one should consider that role with respect to component choices. In the Systems slot there's an Offensive damage boost, a Mobility boost, and a Reconnaissance utility. Offense and Mobility fit with the role well, but with the Recon utility, the question to ask is, "Why aren't you flying a type 1 scout instead?" Or at the very least, "Why pick recon utility over damage or mobility boosts?"

**Edit: Oh, and while there's less than 2 pages to go on so far, this looks to have the potential to be a really great thread. Let's try to keep the quality pretty high.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Armonddd
03.14.2014 , 10:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
It's not an objectively bad component. It's a utility component rather than an offensive cooldown. Better to say that choosing a utility cooldown in a type 2 scout is an odd choice when you have an offensive cooldown available to you.
What utility does it provide? Dispelling cloaking that doesn't exist? Right now it does two things: it increases your damage output (which overcharge does far better), and it puts a tiny evasion debuff on the target that your allies can take advantage of (except the guy's probably going to be dead soon because you popped a cooldown to kill him).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Ramalina
03.14.2014 , 10:29 PM | #14
What utility does it provide? Dispelling cloaking that doesn't exist? Right now it does two things: it increases your damage output (which overcharge does far better), and it puts a tiny evasion debuff on the target that your allies can take advantage of (except the guy's probably going to be dead soon because you popped a cooldown to kill him).
Increases sensor range, mild damage buff, optional mild defensive buff (and with nerfs to most sources of evasion this is better than it used to be), and dispelling cloaking that may or may not exist at some nebulous point in the future.

It's a Swiss army knife of an ability, that if cloaking is implemented might turn into a Leatherman. Well, maybe Swiss army thermo-imaging binoculars with built in rangefinder and a cammo space blanket would be a more accurate metaphor.

These aren't bad things to have, it's just not as sensible for a front line fighting vehicle as full auto selective fire or an extended fuel tank.

A big chunk of the perception of recon and support components as categorically inferior comes from the overwhelming prevalence of uncoordinated PUGs. If you can't work as a team to take advantage of powerful component synergies then those components underperform. That's a matter of pilot incompetence though, not of component design. At least in component vs component comparison.

Oh, and coming at it from a sim player's perspective, if you're not flying as part of a well coordinated team you are by definition an incompetent pilot.

If you want to consider if support functions that are mandatory in a good high fidelity air combat sim are a good fit for a gaggle of MMORPG players with an allergy to teamwork except in very specific environments then that's a broader game design question (and the answer is, "maybe not," though I think that's a shame).
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Drakkolich
03.14.2014 , 10:39 PM | #15
So the reason we recomend Targ Telem is basically the ship is as evasive as possible, basically just taking it for the extra 8% evasion, but the extra dmg is nice. It has a 30 sec cd with a 15 sec duration so you basically get that 8% evasion 50% of the match. Now we did also recommend that if you wanted a full dmg build its there in the description, the full gunship killing build. I hope that helps clear up why we suggested those

Ramalina
03.14.2014 , 10:41 PM | #16
Eh, I partly dropped the ball in my previous post. I left out that in a contest between two more or less competent coordinated teams, sensor power is an incredibly powerful utility.

The fact that we don't get much use out of it in GSF says a lot about the quality of piloting, but doesn't reduce the potential power of the utility.
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Verain
03.14.2014 , 10:56 PM | #17
This post is a magnificent opus and if it doesn't get stickied these forums are worth literally nothing at all.

Morgrid
03.14.2014 , 11:09 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
This post is a magnificent opus and if it doesn't get stickied these forums are worth literally nothing at all.
I vote everyone calms the arguing down so we don't mess up this thread.
Darth ImperÓus of The Ebon Hawk.

Galactic Champion of "Chase the Bomber"

Verain
03.14.2014 , 11:13 PM | #19
How many games have you run with mastered telemetry?

If your answer is "I did math and ignored the cooldown and the defense, as well as the relative value of accuracy versus a high evasion opponent, and therefore I just use blaster overcharge", which I strongly suspect it is... well, that is missing a lot.

Ramalina
03.15.2014 , 12:33 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
So the reason we recomend Targ Telem is basically the ship is as evasive as possible, basically just taking it for the extra 8% evasion, but the extra dmg is nice. It has a 30 sec cd with a 15 sec duration so you basically get that 8% evasion 50% of the match. Now we did also recommend that if you wanted a full dmg build its there in the description, the full gunship killing build. I hope that helps clear up why we suggested those
That's an awfully small payoff for the amount of requisition you spend to master a major component slot. Evasion is the best per unit defensive stat, but it's not good enough at that price.

For Telemetry to be worth it for a type 2 fighter you need to use it liberally and in a way that benefits from as many of it's utility functions as possible. Depending on overall ship build it could be quite a bit better than booster recharge but in order for it to compete with blaster overcharge you'd need to be really good a extracting every last bit of utility out of telemetry pretty much as close to on cooldown as you can manage.

I'd say it's a decent but not great choice for a highly skilled pilot. You could make a case that it beats blaster overcharge for a pilot so new to the game that they either forget to use blaster overcharge or have such bad aim that they miss most of their shots. In that case the pilot is likely going to be able to use every bit of defensive resource that they can get, and if they aren't running out of engine pool, then telemetry is the only system on a type 2 scout that gives a defensive benefit. Of course I'm not sure how many pilots will still be that green by the time they get enough req to unlock a tier 4 upgrade on a ship unlocked with fleet req.

Like many component choices in GSF it's nuanced and situational with no single choice guaranteed to be a global optimum.
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch