Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWG PLAYERS OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
SWG PLAYERS OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch?

Odyseus
02.04.2014 , 12:42 AM | #1
Anybody else see this statement made by the head of SOE?

SWG PLAYERS OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it you can come home now.

This has me giddy on so many levels I don't know If I should cry or scream! For you youngsters, the PRE NGE SWG was by far the best MMO in history. Here's what I missed most about that game feel free to add on because I'm there's much more than my subjective opinion.

* SWG had the best social building mechanics ever. To get to another planet, you had to travel to the Spaceport, and the shuttles that took you from planet to planet required you wait 10 minutes between shuttles.The reason for this is because the Dev's said it would incline players to socialize with one another while waiting for the shuttle. This is where a lot of duels, guild formations, and ambushes took place.

*You had a mind stat that could only be healed by visiting a Cantina, and listening to or watching one of the "Entertainer Classes"(Musicians and Dancers) Which was a brilliant Idea. That's because it was designed for people who didn't really like MMO"s but loved to socialize. So many of the entertainers in the game were Women who could sit and chit chat all day with all of players who came into the Cantina's. Plus, it was an excellent place to raid in enemy cities because you know they would be there. And after listening to the entertainers you get a buff to some of your secondary stats that only they could buff, so it was a necessity. This also fostered a lot of socializing and added more immersion into the game.

These are just 2 of the things I really missed about that game, and what made it special. Feel free to share more, because there's many original things they did that were way ahead of it's time.
Odysseus, SWG server Flurry, Commando, TK/Rifleman, Fencer/Combat Medic.

Essence_of_Light
02.04.2014 , 12:45 AM | #2
This was already discussed on the forums a while ago. You're late to the party.

Oh, and not to rain on your parade but its not going to be a Star Wars game.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, and free CC unlocks!

Odyseus
02.04.2014 , 12:50 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
This was already discussed on the forums a while ago. You're late to the party.

Oh, and not to rain on your parade but its not going to be a Star Wars game.
I know it's not a Starwars game. It was the game mechanics I was raving about not the lore. I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find it. Feel free to post the link.

dorpen
02.04.2014 , 12:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Odyseus View Post
Anybody else see this statement made by the head of SOE?

the PRE NGE SWG was by far the best MMO in history.
So let's believe the company that played a part in ruining it, seems legit. I'll never buy another SOE product.

Essence_of_Light
02.04.2014 , 12:56 AM | #5
I know it's not a Starwars game. It was the game mechanics I was raving about not the lore. I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find it. Feel free to post the link.
Ahhh, okay. I hope it turns out to be as good as you hope it to be.

Here are some links: Here and here
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, and free CC unlocks!

Malastare
02.04.2014 , 01:01 AM | #6
Good for you, I guess. I suppose everyone is allowed to like whatever games they choose, and it'll be nice that someone is making a game for you.

For me... that sounds pretty miserable, and I'm not interested in it at all. I'm not a big FPS, gotta-have-action-every-second kind of guy, but waiting 10 minutes for a shuttle.... no thanks. Endless wastelands of player housing? Forced cantina sitting? (Eye Roll). No thanks. It's nice that you're excited but... no thanks.

Odyseus
02.04.2014 , 01:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dorpen View Post
So let's believe the company that played a part in ruining it, seems legit. I'll never buy another SOE product.
SOE didn't ruin the game, the very small, but extremely loud detractors did. There was so much crying on the forums, threats of lawsuits, because everyone thought that they, and no one else should be a Jedi. And remember the few who did have Jedi's how they acted when they died (Especially when they were perma-death)? No one died because they got beat. People always claimed there was a bug, or they were DC'd, or the other players was exploiting, etc. Game forums were still pretty new at that time so the suits freaked out and started to capitulate by giving in to the forum whiners because they thought they represented what the player base thought. If they would of stuck to their guns, and kept Jedi's rare, they game would of ended up being much better in the long run.

Odyseus
02.04.2014 , 01:14 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
Good for you, I guess. I suppose everyone is allowed to like whatever games they choose, and it'll be nice that someone is making a game for you.

No need to be a condescending smart a** just because I'm sharing my enthusiasm. I never said they're making anything for me.

For me... that sounds pretty miserable, and I'm not interested in it at all. I'm not a big FPS, gotta-have-action-every-second kind of guy, but waiting 10 minutes for a shuttle.... no thanks. Endless wastelands of player housing? Forced cantina sitting? (Eye Roll). No thanks. It's nice that you're excited but... no thanks.
You actually weren't forced to go to a cantina. Many guilds would hire entertainers to tag along before raiding one of the capital cities. However they used the Cantina's because that's where they could earn the most credits due to the amount of players who frequented the location. And the 10 minute waits for shuttles? That's where reputations were made. Most would pass the time challeging the other waiting players to duels, since there was no Warzones, it was the norm.

dorpen
02.04.2014 , 01:20 AM | #9
SOE didn't ruin the game
Weird I don't remember people begging SOE to turn the game into WoW star wars edition. NGE pretty much rolled in without any communication.

OddballEasyEight
02.04.2014 , 01:22 AM | #10
Does this mean that SWG players might stop demanding SWG features in this themepark game?
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.