Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What made you choose your Class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What made you choose your Class?

discbox
02.04.2014 , 01:36 PM | #21
There have been two classes I wasn't interested in when the game was in the news: Agent and Smuggler.

At launch I tried many classes. On IMP side I started with an agent, i don't know why.
I didn't like the Jedi. I was bored of the Trooper story.

Then I tried the Smuggler, because I liked my Sniper. And it was fun.

Now I play a marksman sniper, a concealment operative + a gunslinger and a scrapper smuggler.
Four character of the classes I wasn't interested in... when BioWare started promoting the game.

Beslley
02.04.2014 , 01:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
I wanted to shoot lightning out of my fingers so my first class choice was obvious.
Pretty much this.

Longer version:
I played warlock seriously in WoW, figured sorc was the closest I'd get to recreating that warlock feel. Eventually rerolled sniper when it became apparent post-2.0 that sorc DPS was in bad shape. Ended up really enjoying sniper, go figure, but I do miss the lightning on occasion

What I don't miss is being twi'lek, though. As soon as recustomization came out I changed my sorc to chiss to match my sniper and never looked back.

#blueberrylyfe
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

Kheldryn
02.04.2014 , 02:38 PM | #23
I have many inspirations for my characters. Sometimes based on characters from movies or characters from my favorite books. My main (Well.. was my main), and favorite, was my Assasin (deleted him Pre-Legacy) who was based on a character I made for the old Star Wars PnP (Pencil and Paper) RPG. I hand drew him, and labeled him a "Sith Assasin" and named him Kheldryn. Then SWTOR came along, I saw the Sith Pureblood Race, played around with appearance options and remarkably came up with something that looked almost identical to my drawing (which was made in 93) and made him an Assasin and named him Kheldryn. As he was intended to be "evil" I made him Dark Side which as an inquisitor, really is fun.

Mind, Now I have to eventually remake him.. never should have deleted him.. but at the time we couldn't change their appearance after creation.. and I found that I didn't like the details on his skin so deleted him to "Fix" him..ended up re-rolling him as a Juggernaut (Changed servers so had to rename him), as my Shadow has his name on the new server. So I'll have to change my shadows name then Rename my current assasin and change his race to Sith Pureblood (He's currently a Cathar)
"The cake is a lie, there is only pie. With pie goes cookies, with cookies, milk. Milk, It does a body good! Let the Force be your guide."

psandak
02.04.2014 , 02:53 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by HumbleJedi View Post
Im interested in hearing how everyone chose their respective classes and the choices they made to become who they became.

ie: Dark Jedi, Pure Jedi, Sith etc etc

My reason for becoming a Jedi, was becuase i was so thrilled about watching the Star Wars movies and playing the games, that i always wanted to be a Jedi myself.

When playing one of the Star wars games, i was always pickin the right choices which lead to Light Side Cookies :P

I dont think ive done a thing wrong so far.
My first character was a Jedi Guardian. My reason for choosing it was because in all other MMOs my first character was always a healer and this time I wanted something different . I went "pure" (LS5) because it felt right.

After that I went sawbones smuggler and fell back on my healer role. I went neutral with him because while he often does the right thing, greed gets in the way.

Then I played BH merc and again went full LS mainly because too many of the DS choices were too psychopathic for my taste.

I then started a SI sin and tried full DS, but only got to the end of chapter one. Maybe someday I will finish him

I next leveled a slightly DS Jedi Sage, her vehement dislike for the empire made her kill all imperials regardless of rank and level of involvement. Otherwise she always did the right thing.

My latest 55 in a LS4 commando because it was so easy to be the good little soldier and follow orders...if those orders did not hurt civilians.

My newest character is a gunslinger. I plan on taking her dark but we'll see; I've already made some LS choices because they were more in line with thumbing my nose at authority.

As you can probably tell, I'm an altoholic. Funny thing is that this is the first MMO I have ever truly enjoyed making alts. All other MMOs I've played, I made alts only because there was nothing to do on my main.

teclado
02.04.2014 , 03:35 PM | #25
I started playing at launch. My first character was a powertech - I liked the idea of heavy armor with tech weapons and bounty hunting sounded fun, but mainly I didn't want to be one of the million jedi that I figured everybody would be playing. I got him to level 24, got really tired of weak damage output, and gave in to my desires of a dual sabre jedi like I loved in KOTOR. I rolled a sentinel and took him all the way to 50, never looking back at my powertech (he's still at 24).

By this point, I had decided that I liked republic more than empire. Feeling slightly bad about not finishing my powertech, I decided to go with a vanguard trooper (repub equivalent of PT). I took him all the way to 50.

Next, I had always wanted to try a sage. I got him to the mid 20s about the time of some double XP weekends hitting. By the end, I had a sage to 50. I like ranged dps, occasional heals. This is probably my favorite character overall.

By this point, I was really getting into pvp. Seeing stealth characters own in 1v1, I made a shadow. By the end of the next double XP weekend, my shadow was to 50.

Those are my main characters. In-between, I have played a little bit of every advanced class on the repub side except guardian and scoundrel (currently thinking about starting each of those). On the imp side, I have tried everything except operative and marauder. So really, the only advanced class that I have no exposure to is scoundrel / operative. With the 2.6 patch, I think I know what I'm going to do next.

hunterraaze
02.04.2014 , 03:40 PM | #26
This was my first MMO, so I had no idea about anything going into it. I picked the Merc because the missiles looked cool. The only thing he cares about is money, which I thought fit the BH quite well. Have max dark alignment, due to the money grubbing choices being dark.
"Well, if people would make it more about me, I wouldn't have to"
~Iryllia
Click here to give me free stuff! (And you too I guess)

LtGeneralGezlin
02.04.2014 , 03:53 PM | #27
I'll be honest, when they first annouched TOR, I hated the idea of them not making a KotOR 3 (And I pretty much ignored TOR.) That was, until the 'Return' Trailer was shown at E3 in 2011. I remember watching that, and seeing how awesome Captain Nico Okarr looked with the coat, and the hat, and the dual blasters. I knew I was going to play SWTOR, and that I'd play a Smuggler.

Of course, two years later, I have a bunch of alts, but only my gunslinger, and my Marauder are at the cap, and I still use them for dailes.

In the game, while my Smuggler loves Money (I mean, who doesn't) He had a "Heart of gold" and always tries to stick up for the little guy. He always flirts with women, unless they are Jedi, then he can't. (His two younger sisters are Jedi), but the flirting stopped when Risha 'officially' joined the crew and married my Smuggler.
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
60 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 57 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 60 Marauder, 57 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

EzioMessi
02.04.2014 , 04:05 PM | #28
I rolled a Sentinel because of what I remembered from Force Unleashed II (once you got over the lore breaking force powers and boringly repetitive "strong" enemies, you have to admit, it was fun killing the Stormtroopers in >9000 different ways )

So I thought I'd roll a class with 2 sabers purely because I associated that with Starkiller-type damage.

So glad the class does exactly that
Jung Ma - The Assassino Legacy <Dark Legion Empire>
Aetios - Level 55 Sentinel

CosmicKat
02.04.2014 , 04:10 PM | #29
I stick to force users because light sabers are too cool not to use them.

And ranged weapons never work, for me, in an MMO. I can suspend disbelief about magic Space Swords easy enough, but there's just something about Sci-Fi firearms that have all the range and power of a rubber-band gun that make me think they are just beyond stupid and I can't get into them.
"I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last

10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'."

DaxCalvo
02.04.2014 , 04:20 PM | #30
My main is a Light Side Trooper Commando.

I love the Clone Troopers from the prequel movies.
In particular, I love the Republic Commandos from the video game and novel series.
I also always thought that the autocannons wielded by certain ARC Troopers and Clone Commanders were especially awesome.

It's like Commandos were specially made to press my every button.