Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Concern for the future


Khyle's Avatar


Khyle
02.01.2014 , 01:54 PM | #21
I didn't dislike TESO but as someone who hasn't played any of the former TES games aside from a few hours I couldn't really get into it, I just felt out of place. At the same time, it's the TES fans, single player gamers, who are more critical of that game since they don't think a MMO (let alone a themepark) is what that franchise is about and they say it ruins their immersion and so on. SWTOR had a bit of that problem too since many people including me would have prefered KOTOR 3, but unlike TES everyone and their mothers know Star Wars, the Jedi. the Dark Side, and so on, so it has a way broader appeal.

So yeah... one way or the other I think TESO is probably going to flop. If anything I'd be more concerned about Wildstar, it doesn't have an established IP behind it but it has had more favorable reviews than TESO.

Star Wars is Star Wars and it'll always have its niche. Many people, from many games' playerbases, will probably go play those games and then go back to their former games in 1 or 2 months. It's always like this. Even at its lowest point SWTOR managed to survive the release of Guild Wars 2, which was a considerably better and more appealing game.

This game still has many flaws and I'll be forever resentful of them dropping the class stories (thankfully I still have some classes left to play), but as a whole the game is in a decent shape now, they have improved many things and it's making money through the CM. I'm sure it will do just fine this year; they just need to reveal a new expansion asap since GSF didn't really cut it for the many of us who don't care about space pvp.
"You let one of them go, but that's nothing new. Every now and then, a little victim's spared... because she smiled, cos he's got freckles, cos they begged. And that's how you live with yourself, that's how you slaughter millions. Because once in a while, on a whim, if the wind's in the right directionů you happen to be kind."

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
02.01.2014 , 02:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Khyle View Post
I didn't dislike TESO but as someone who hasn't played any of the former TES games aside from a few hours I couldn't really get into it, I just felt out of place. At the same time, it's the TES fans, single player gamers, who are more critical of that game since they don't think a MMO (let alone a themepark) is what that franchise is about and they say it ruins their immersion and so on. SWTOR had a bit of that problem too since many people including me would have prefered KOTOR 3, but unlike TES everyone and their mothers know Star Wars, the Jedi. the Dark Side, and so on, so it has a way broader appeal.

So yeah... one way or the other I think TESO is probably going to flop. If anything I'd be more concerned about Wildstar, it doesn't have an established IP behind it but it has had more favorable reviews than TESO.

Star Wars is Star Wars and it'll always have its niche. Many people, from many games' playerbases, will probably go play those games and then go back to their former games in 1 or 2 months. It's always like this. Even at its lowest point SWTOR managed to survive the release of Guild Wars 2, which was a considerably better and more appealing game.

This game still has many flaws and I'll be forever resentful of them dropping the class stories (thankfully I still have some classes left to play), but as a whole the game is in a decent shape now, they have improved many things and it's making money through the CM. I'm sure it will do just fine this year; they just need to reveal a new expansion asap since GSF didn't really cut it for the many of us who don't care about space pvp.
I think, because of their similarities (relying strongly on a single player IP), TESO will go the same way SW:TOR went.
It will most likely go F2P within the year and then it'll stable out and have a lower but reliable number of players.
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
02.01.2014 , 02:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
I'd be more concerned with WoW's expansion that ESO or Wildstar.
WoD is ridiculously stupid.

Imagine if here in SWTOR our next storyline involved Dread Master Calyphayus escaping from prison and traveling back in time to the last war and tried to bring the Sith there back to the present to fight us. But instead of fighting off his invasion here in the present, we also all traveled back in time to fight him there.

That is basically WoD's storyline.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 4/10 HM
Jedi Covenant

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
02.01.2014 , 02:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
WoD is ridiculously stupid.

Imagine if here in SWTOR our next storyline involved Dread Master Calyphayus escaping from prison and traveling back in time to the last war and tried to bring the Sith there back to the present to fight us.

That is basically WoD's storyline.
Good thing not ONE person gives 2 craps about the storyline. People are drooling over the new models and their version of player housing . :P

jedip_enguin's Avatar


jedip_enguin
02.01.2014 , 02:17 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Look at the characater models. It looks like something aimed at 10 yearolds. It's not even "stylized" like Wow or SWTOR, it's just childish.
Plenty of games have childish/stylized graphics and managed to be very successful, I'd suggest the design aesthetic is not the handicap you believe it to be.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

jedip_enguin's Avatar


jedip_enguin
02.01.2014 , 02:22 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
WoD is ridiculously stupid.

Imagine if here in SWTOR our next storyline involved Dread Master Calyphayus escaping from prison and traveling back in time to the last war and tried to bring the Sith there back to the present to fight us. But instead of fighting off his invasion here in the present, we also all traveled back in time to fight him there.

That is basically WoD's storyline.
I haven't followed the goings on in WoW since Pandaland was announced but this does sound bloody terrible.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
02.01.2014 , 02:23 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin View Post
Plenty of games have childish/stylized graphics and managed to be very successful, I'd suggest the design aesthetic is not the handicap you believe it to be.
It's fine on games like Torchlight or Borderlands, for exmple, but in MMO's, people take special notice on how their character actually looks. Even in WoW, the only childish looking characters are gnomes. It's entirely possible that it's just me that find Wildstar completely off-putting and if so, /shrug.

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
02.01.2014 , 02:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin View Post
I haven't followed the goings on in WoW since Pandaland was announced but this does sound bloody terrible.
yeah seriously, when I first saw that wow panda expansion commercial I thought I was watching a preview for the next Kung-Fu Panda movie...
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

Reno_Tarshil's Avatar


Reno_Tarshil
02.01.2014 , 02:25 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
yeah seriously, when I first saw that wow panda expansion commercial I thought I was watching a preview for the next Kung-Fu Panda movie...
The Pandarens were long created before those movies came out.
Supposed Member of "The Forum Apologist 5!" According to "The Reno_Tarshil Forum Fan Brigade!"
Quote:
I like Tacos.
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free Tacos.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
02.01.2014 , 02:26 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Look at the characater models. It looks like something aimed at 10 yearolds. It's not even "stylized" like Wow or SWTOR, it's just childish.
You'd have to play it. It has a unique art style that stands out when you actual see it on your own screen. It actually looks really good.