Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RIP orbital strike

Kyanrute
01.12.2014 , 06:03 AM | #121
Hybrid lives on if it still does more damage than Leth.

Aerilas
01.12.2014 , 06:23 AM | #122
As a Marksman PvP sniper who mostly plays Solo Ranked and the off normal wz to get dailies and them medpacks/adrenals I can say we're pretty much screwed now. Orbital strike should be almost solely used on yourself when you start off the fight and continue to be agressive by rolling in the group and cast it on yourself entrenched in the middle if you survive long enough. Those tactics scared players off for a moment making them taking slower decisions.

Now they will laugh at you when you pull your first orbital and start wailing on you giggling at your ticklish beam from space.
For PvP Ranked this has been a huge nerf.
Vis Fatalis
Caineghis (Sniper)
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

ontee
01.12.2014 , 11:24 AM | #123
Happy (or sorry) to say that with VERY little testing on pts (and on 500k dummy) hybrid and mm are still going strong, with orbital in rotation. Used 4 pve setbonus.

Parses

MM with OS - 3204
MM no OS - 2765 (almost 10% lower crit than one with OS)

Leth with OS - 3067
Leth no OS - 3127

Hybrid with OS - 3265
Hybrid no OS - 3065

here is link to torparse if someone want to look. http://www.torparse.com/a/550197

the thing is that now OS is so called energy free, so in hybrid you can continue normal rotation without having to use rifle shot.

paowee
01.12.2014 , 01:32 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by ontee View Post
Happy (or sorry) to say that with VERY little testing on pts (and on 500k dummy) hybrid and mm are still going strong, with orbital in rotation. Used 4 pve setbonus.

Parses

MM with OS - 3204
MM no OS - 2765 (almost 10% lower crit than one with OS)

Leth with OS - 3067
Leth no OS - 3127

Hybrid with OS - 3265
Hybrid no OS - 3065

here is link to torparse if someone want to look. http://www.torparse.com/a/550197

the thing is that now OS is so called energy free, so in hybrid you can continue normal rotation without having to use rifle shot.
Interesting. Hmm im assuming no one is going to farm for the 4pc pvp set bonus? the MS loss is pretty big. or is it stil worth it?
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
01.12.2014 , 01:37 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
In order to nerf the Hybrid they needed to move cluster bombs, or the energy gain from detonating them at least, way up the tree, or give the class stances and tie Cull to the Lethality stance and tie Cluster Bombs to the Engineering stance. That would kill the Hybrid dead. This change will hurt it a little, but will hurt Marksmanship way more.
Kill hybrids and remove cooldown AoEs from single target rotation XD. like how mercs/vgs use mortar volley only when there are multiple targets. im on pts right now and trying to find a way to make MM less , "random". right now random GCDs pop out in weird spots of the rotation. maybe that's one thing we'll have to get used to.

Rebel_Guy
01.12.2014 , 02:52 PM | #126
Goodnight sweet prince.

_Dominator_
01.12.2014 , 03:11 PM | #127
So nerfing a lvl 48 aoe so it does comparable damage to a grenade and lots more aoe abilities is ok? also the simple fact that if they didn't want us to use OS in our single target rotation then engineering has many talents that boost aoe...

While markmanship has lower cooldown and cast + when we use SV we need to waste energy.. and OS was a great energy dump... So the only tree that shouldn't use OS would of been lethality/hybrid... and for just that they nerf the other 2?

They have to be consistent... if they don't want us to use it.. then change our abilities to we use something else.. and give us something else to waste are energy for SV. And if they wanna nerf something nerf scatter bombs...

Like you said with OS our rotation was perfect now we'll have some empty places to fill something in.
So if they don't want us to use it.. be consistent and give us a real reason not to use it.. don't just over nerf it

I am ok with the pvp set bonus change so even with just that it was a dps loss.

Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
If i were a pvper i'd love the changes. Orbital strike spam on the nodes, it'll be impossible to cap novare mid with all the snipers and operative healers cycling their orbitals. short cast time, lower cooldown..

If you are a pver.. well they nerfedd this because they want to get rid of Hybrids and move people back to full Lethality. 2 Hybrid specs were killed in the PTS.. Vanguard Hybrid and Sniper Hybrid. This is a smart move and will probably help them balance Marksman and Full Lethality better/easier. And there's Engineering as well.

paowee
01.12.2014 , 03:55 PM | #128
my testing shows it is a dps loss now using orbital strike on cooldown . we have 2 talents buffing this ability and now those talents are now just filler skill points..

Aerilas
01.12.2014 , 03:59 PM | #129
It's simply a disgrace that Bioware isn't checking up on us after such a change
Vis Fatalis
Caineghis (Sniper)
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

ArchangelLBC
01.12.2014 , 04:05 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Kill hybrids and remove cooldown AoEs from single target rotation XD. like how mercs/vgs use mortar volley only when there are multiple targets. im on pts right now and trying to find a way to make MM less , "random". right now random GCDs pop out in weird spots of the rotation. maybe that's one thing we'll have to get used to.
The thing is, I don't think it was until they realizes DPS Operatives were also using the 2 piece PVP Field Tech bonus (and therefore using OS in their ST rotations), that they were on a crusade to kill the ability. Back when they answered Sniper Top 3 questions, the concern was that Lethality Snipers were using OS in their rotations and that wasn't intended, but they knew that a nerf to the ability would adversely impact both Engineering and Marksmanship, essentially admitting what is obvious from those skill trees which is that those Specs ARE supposed to be using it in rotation. Seems to me they forgot about those concerns after the Scoundrel questions.

The using a PVP bonus in PVE was a valid concern, and like you I expected that change. I'd have preferred that at the same time they made the 4 piece a tad more appealing for PVE, but there you are.

For killing hybrids, I maintain that this really didn't do anything. A slight DPS nerf, but not nearly as bad as that done to Marksmanship, and for many Hybrid was already ahead.

The holes your finding in marksmanship now are due to two things I think Paowee:

First of course the lack of OS which means that every Sniper Volley window suddenly has a solid GCD extra in which to do something. On live right now you can usually see this during the opener where we precast Orbital so don't use it in the first SV window. It's the perfect place to reapply your initial Corrosive dart. After that, you always use that extra GCD on casting Orbital. Now that we aren't using it, I'm not sure what to put in there.

Second, there's the duration buff to Corrosive Dart. A 15s Corrosive Dart already sorta floated around the rotation because you didn't want to clip it, and there was always a free GCD in there to use it between Ambushes because of how the Ambush CD works. You might cast it immediately after Ambush in one run through of the rotation, then the next one you use it after SoS, then the next one you use it after your two Snipes.. Now however, at 18s duration, if you want to make sure not to clip it it's going to float around even more and it's entirely possible to get in two Ambushes and nowhere to use CD without significant clipping.

That's sort of the new problem created by these changes. We have holes in our rotation now, but nothing significant to put in there. I suppose it will make it easier for us to use the Armor Debuff if we're the only one with it. Not exactly a DPS gain, but what can you do?

Quote: Originally Posted by Aerilas View Post
It's simply a disgrace that Bioware isn't checking up on us after such a change
In their defense they don't post on the weekend. On the other hand they had to know how unpopular this change was gonna be and amounts to the kind of "mic drop" they expressed regret over after the disaster that was the Sorc/Vanguard answers.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd