Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Blackbolt gets no love


Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 11:49 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
All of the components you listed are also on the Flashfire. You could do the same exact thing in a Flashfire, except you'd have stronger Shields.

And if you really wanted to maximize boosting duration on your NovaDrive, you should take Shield-to-Engine Converter for your engine component. It really uses barely any shield at all once upgraded, it gives you much higher overall shield capacity, and it'll let you boost pretty much indefinitely.
1) Yes, but who would build a Sting or Flashfire tha tway, with access to booster overcharge? I don't think there will be many people.

2) I only put the boost duration as what I can do. Of course, raw booster would be even longer with that converter, but using Barrel Roll at cooldown while traveling will probably cover even longer distance even faster. Also, missile lock nullification needed here, as these missiles deal a ton of damage to the little ship, you know

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
01.09.2014 , 11:59 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
1) Yes, but who would build a Sting or Flashfire tha tway, with access to booster overcharge? I don't think there will be many people.

2) I only put the boost duration as what I can do. Of course, raw booster would be even longer with that converter, but using Barrel Roll at cooldown while traveling will probably cover even longer distance even faster. Also, missile lock nullification needed here, as these missiles deal a ton of damage to the little ship, you know
1) You could. Unless you are effectively saying that Blaster Overcharge is just better than Booster Recharge. If you ARE saying that, then it's clear you should be flying a Flashfire.

2) Shield-to-Engine Converter is a shield ability, not an engine ability. You can have it AND Barrel Roll. You'd be losing Quick Charge shield for it.

Unlike Quick Charge and Distortion, it does not suffer a 30% penalty to shield capacity. It starts at 100% base shield. If fully upgraded, it adds another 25% to shield OR engine capacity. That means your shields can be at 125% instead of the 70% they're at with Quick-charge. It puts your shields around 1700 per arc instead of around 1000.

In fact, once I switched to S-to-E, I no longer needed Booster Recharge for my system, so I took Targeting Telemetry instead.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Cashal's Avatar


Cashal
01.09.2014 , 12:35 PM | #13
OP was right, Default Scout needs love. There is no reason to play this class. Yes, you have the longest sustained boosting ability in the game. But you aren't the quickest or best turner (you equal out with the sting/flashfire). . . .

What's the point of being able to boost all over the map if you can't do anything (damage) once you get there? I suppose you just hope that the node is unguarded and stays unguarded the entire time. . . . I suppose if an enemy shows up you can always just run away and not be caught.

But if all you are doing is running away. . . doesn't that mean you wasted time in a failed cap?


I can't see any situation where I'd pick a Blackbolt over a Flashfire. This is just for my playstyle though, I suppose if you just wanna be wingman it'd be useful. . . but I'd personally rather have another heavy hitter than a backup scout doing less damage.
Knickers - Ebon Hawk

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 12:49 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
1) You could. Unless you are effectively saying that Blaster Overcharge is just better than Booster Recharge. If you ARE saying that, then it's clear you should be flying a Flashfire.

2) Shield-to-Engine Converter is a shield ability, not an engine ability. You can have it AND Barrel Roll. You'd be losing Quick Charge shield for it.
1) Blaster Overcharge is better than Booster Overcharge, no doubt. When it comes to fighting, that is. And since I like to fly and do a guerrila a lot more than to dogfight, I prefer Booster Overcharge here.
Thing is to use what you like to use and are good with, not what is the strongest at the moment and everyone uses it.
Also, ion railgun - drains everyone, next slug kills them. Me? Booster overcharge (instant 20% engine energy + a lot more over time) - barrel roll, quick zig zag freak movement towards the now poor and scared gunship who is probably dead five seconds later.

2) Oh. Oooh. Hmm. Sorry, don't have tabs in front of me right now. Don't exactly know if I was ever thinking about putting this one in my build. Anyways, you just either reminded me of it or introduced me to a new possibility. Thanks!


Bottom line, to the sceptics here. I am regularly top in the scoreboard with my ND. Guerrilla hit and run works wonders. It's not just kill steals though. 10+ kills are regular, with 5 or so assists, 30k damage in the worse game, usually around 45k. NovaDive's speed gives me the possibility to achieve these combat stats and still get 100-ish objective points. Truth to the end is that I could of course do this with Flashfire too. But I won't. Because NovaDive.

Cashal's Avatar


Cashal
01.09.2014 , 12:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
1) Blaster Overcharge is better than Booster Overcharge, no doubt. When it comes to fighting, that is. And since I like to fly and do a guerrila a lot more than to dogfight, I prefer Booster Overcharge here.
Thing is to use what you like to use and are good with, not what is the strongest at the moment and everyone uses it.
Also, ion railgun - drains everyone, next slug kills them. Me? Booster overcharge (instant 20% engine energy + a lot more over time) - barrel roll, quick zig zag freak movement towards the now poor and scared gunship who is probably dead five seconds later.
Guerrila eh? I'd love to fight against you. You get my shields down and run off. . . . My shields regen. . . Plus it gives my friends time to come to my aide. You aren't really accomplishing much. . . It's better to kill your enemy fast

It's all about damage . . Kill your enemy as quickly as possible.
Knickers - Ebon Hawk

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 01:21 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Cashal View Post
Guerrila eh? I'd love to fight against you. You get my shields down and run off. . . . My shields regen. . . Plus it gives my friends time to come to my aide. You aren't really accomplishing much. . . It's better to kill your enemy fast

It's all about damage . . Kill your enemy as quickly as possible.
You realize I also have friends, right? And who said I will just go through your shields? I won't attack you 1v1. Once you are shooting my turret or my friends, you can bet that unless you run fast, I will have enough time to strip at least 50% of your HP. You survive? I don't mind, you die later, thanks for assist.

Also, once your friends come aid you with killing one NovaDive, they will: 1) laugh at you for needing help with something this ridiculous, 2) abandon their positions, making my friends' job easier, whatever their job is.

You can only kill enemy fast if you surprise them (or if they are incompetent), every other time it turns into shootout which usually generates two people busy with each other - perfect targets for NovaDives and Blackbolts.

You know, to win Domination, you don't need to just kill enemies. Hit right places, distract the enemy team as a whole, and your chances of victory are better than abandoning the satellite to "kill fast" that guy 7k away. Once they give us TDM, you might stand a fair point. But even after that I guarantee that I will be a pain in my NovaDive.

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
01.09.2014 , 01:22 PM | #17
Starting Scout is the best Fighter in the game, IMO. NovaDive is always my first choice to fly. I only fly anything else to get the daily bonus reqs.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
01.09.2014 , 01:24 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Danylia View Post
My main ship is a Blackbolt, built for speed (Booster Recharge) and using Light Laser Cannon and Rocket Pods. Some perceptions from me:

1) Initial capping. At the start of the game, I'll be the first at a satellite. Which means I either outright cap it, or prevent/delay the enemy cap - until reinforcements arrive, or until we cap the other two satellites due to superior numbers there. The latter means that I can generally hold my own against the enemy's superiority, thanks to great maneuverability of the Blackbolt.

2) "Ninja" capping. An unguarded red satellite with three turrets is an ideal target for me. I can quickly reach it, strip all the turrets in literally ~5 seconds (Rocked Pods!) and the situation from 1) ensues - I either cap, or draw the enemies to it, relieving the situation elsewhere.

3) Gunships. Again, speed allows me to reach them quickly, and again, Rocket Pods work great against the stationary target they are. I may not be able to kill them (if they are upgraded enough) but I will be able to put them out of combat for a while.

4) Satellite dogfighting. The Sting/Flashfire is the current top dog there. Against an equal opposition, I will never be the ace, but I make a good wingman. I either focus enemies who are already fighting someone else, or play the mouse in a cat & mouse game with them and count (hope) that my teammates will pick the cat sooner or later. My speed also means that once I spot a satellite blinking, I can reach it very quickly to help whoever is fighting there.
This guy gets it. Pretty much exactly what I do, minus #4. I don't dogfight, I escape and light you up from behind.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 01:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Starting Scout is the best Fighter in the game, IMO. NovaDive is always my first choice to fly. I only fly anything else to get the daily bonus reqs.
That is kinda strong statement nobody is gonna agree with. Only us ND pilots know better.

Cashal's Avatar


Cashal
01.09.2014 , 01:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
You realize I also have friends, right? And who said I will just go through your shields? I won't attack you 1v1. Once you are shooting my turret or my friends, you can bet that unless you run fast, I will have enough time to strip at least 50% of your HP. You survive? I don't mind, you die later, thanks for assist.

Also, once your friends come aid you with killing one NovaDive, they will: 1) laugh at you for needing help with something this ridiculous, 2) abandon their positions, making my friends' job easier, whatever their job is.

You can only kill enemy fast if you surprise them (or if they are incompetent), every other time it turns into shootout which usually generates two people busy with each other - perfect targets for NovaDives and Blackbolts.

You know, to win Domination, you don't need to just kill enemies. Hit right places, distract the enemy team as a whole, and your chances of victory are better than abandoning the satellite to "kill fast" that guy 7k away. Once they give us TDM, you might stand a fair point. But even after that I guarantee that I will be a pain in my NovaDive.
Heh, I don't have to run fast when defending a Sat that you came to attack. . . I just have to "Out turn" you. . which doesn't require the massive boosting capability given by the default scout. Plus when sat humping. . . you get brief windows in which to hit a target you are following. . .This is why Burst is better.

" Once you are shooting my turret or my friends, you can bet that unless you run fast, I will have enough time to strip at least 50% of your HP. You survive? I don't mind, you die later, thanks for assist."


Gotta love distortion field for those moments when I do have to focus on your friends instead of dodging you. Plus Turrets die in 1-2 shot for a burst cannon with armor ignore. If you try to get a cluster lock on me. . you will probably get it. . .but for what. . . 60-90 hull damage? 240-360 with Bypass?

Second. . "You die later, thanks for the assist". . . so this is what I meant. . . You can't really finish the job, Stings/Flashfires can.

i won't try to convince you further though, I suppose if you enjoy it that's all the really matters.

*Edit*
I'm assuming we are still talking about the two ships usefulness in terms of the game objective. And not just wide open space dog fighting (more often than not, not helpful for Domination, just fun)
Knickers - Ebon Hawk