Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hats off to the aces!

ellahrairah
01.05.2014 , 07:01 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
Honestly the one that topped objectives wasn't neccisarily the one that did the best job capturing objective points. You only get objective points by staying near a point you already have and more often then not the person that gets the highest objectives were just flying around that one sat and it wasn't contested for a majority of the match.

In other words they didn't always do something.

At the same time those that have less then 10 objectives and a bunch of kills didn't really do much either (unless they were in a gunship.....maybe) because they didn't contribute to defending or attacking locations.

Often the pilots I would call "aces" get around 60-150 objective points a match with several kills as they were clearing trash from (I call killing enemy ships circling satilites 'clearing the trash' lol) and capturing objective points.

One stat does not an ACE make.
I absolutely agree. But statistics are always like that in every place statistics exist. They rarely paint the full picture. I completely agree that someone with a good objective score and not even a single assist is a parasite. But... In my opinion, its the most important of the stats, and I have never come across any parasites on the top 5.

ellahrairah
01.05.2014 , 07:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
I don't think that's the point. Take a guy who boosts his ship to A at the beginning of the match, caps A, and sits there the whole match, having maybe one kill. I mean, yeah, someone's gotta defend the sat, but this guy will have tons more objective points than the guy who will have 8 turret kills, 7 enemy kills and 4 sat captures in the same game, because he attended in the battle for B and C.

It's not really much possible to say who gave the most to the team. Maybe those with the most medals?

I myself must admit that once I get pugged, see bunch of unknowns in my team and several good imps, possibly premade, and the game doesn't start well, i.e. we are barely able to hold one sat, I just say screw this, I can't win this myself, let's go on rampage and slaughter as much imps as I can. I admit that it's not good teamplay, but if there is no one to shoot gunships to cover me while I cap, if there is no one to guard satelite I cap, I refuse to do a cannon fodder by trying to caoture well defended imperial outposts.
Sadly, that is the tactic-de-jour for Imperials on Shadowlands... They/we get a bad start, then everyone just hovers around one satellite.... cowering....

Lymain
01.05.2014 , 07:24 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ellahrairah View Post
I absolutely agree. But statistics are always like that in every place statistics exist. They rarely paint the full picture. I completely agree that someone with a good objective score and not even a single assist is a parasite. But... In my opinion, its the most important of the stats, and I have never come across any parasites on the top 5.
One problem is that you get no objective points for defending a neutral satellite, which is often a critical contribution.
Xeric - Juggernaut - The Ebon Hawk

verfallen
01.05.2014 , 08:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
One problem is that you get no objective points for defending a neutral satellite, which is often a critical contribution.

Or for a gunship, I once took out 4 enemy scouts back to back allowing my team to cap B in lost shipyards.

Did i get objectives point? No because a gunship sitting on a disputed node is just asking for laser fire up his behind, missiles and other gunships shooting.

I was away, the attacks were done under bypass for a part (2 oneshots) and therefore I got for that decisive victory no recognition on the board. I got 6k damage. No objectives. That scout guy that flew circle under it got the node. And thats fine really.

However don't discard the gunship that covered the capping. Or the scout who chases off a guard or is neutralizing the enemy gunship. Those things don't show on the board at the end.

Armonddd
01.05.2014 , 08:38 AM | #15
The problem is that while the scoreboard can easily measure kills, damage, assists, accuracy, time defending, number of satellites captured, etc, there's no good way for the computer to measure contribution in a domination match. When we get more gameplay types, this might change (deathmatch is the easy example), but for now, you need to rely on your own eyes over the computer to tell you who did well.

I could go on about contributing to the game by staying in range of a satellite at critical times, racking up kills in or near capture range, coordinating which pilots go where and when, scouting other points, defending a point by doing nothing but circling it and not crashing, and chasing gunships to force them to barrel roll out of the engagement zone, but I think you guys get the idea and wouldn't read a five page post.

Oh, and gunships (once again) play completely differently from everything else, so their contributions are even harder to measure. Specifically, a gunship with low damage/kills/assists is much more likely to have contributed than a strike or scout that's done the same, simply because of things like this:

Quote: Originally Posted by Mystry View Post
I have a habit of assaulting enemy satellites up close as a gunship.

Its surprisingly effective as all the defenders say A GUNSHIP, and fly off to chase me around for a while instead of defending their point.
That's hilarious.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

reclipsed
01.05.2014 , 01:32 PM | #16
My server has a few aces both sides. I just finished a match and a well known scout pilot just got 31 kills 0 deaths. Seeing his name at start of match makes my heart sink because I know what is about to happen.
I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

-Streven-
01.05.2014 , 01:57 PM | #17
I have a hard time believing 31 to 0 is someone not using cheats. I guess it's possible just hard for me to believe.

Elly_Dawn
01.05.2014 , 02:20 PM | #18
i think he's being facetious... considering this entire thread is pointing out how only Kill Count is not indicative of an Ace, but rather, the ones that stick to the objectives and not fly around as if Yakety Sax was playing in the background chasing that kill count...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

DroidDreamer
01.05.2014 , 02:20 PM | #19
Many of the "top" players on my server frequently top the damage/kill counts but have ZERO defense medals in a game that requires capturing and holding nodes.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Mystry
01.05.2014 , 04:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by -Streven- View Post
I have a hard time believing 31 to 0 is someone not using cheats. I guess it's possible just hard for me to believe.
Its quite possible for an average gunship pilot. A skilled scout with a fully maxed ship can do this too, but it requires the enemy team to have no gunships. Never seen it happen on a strike fighter.