Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE
12.16.2013 , 10:51 PM | #1
[UPDATED 03/01/2015]:
Hey everyone, L-Randle here. I'm going to attempt to "patch proof" this thread to explain to people what bolster does and what levelers, noobs, and returning players need to know what to do and what not to do. First off, I would like to thank the community members that kept this thread alive in the last year and a half or so. I don't want to get into my personal gripes with the devs or the "Big Boss" on this game/IP I love, but seeing people with the fire and passion gives me hope. Enough to actually "want" to update this.

Before I begin, I would like to reiterate the universal things that affect you AND TEAMMATES in a WZ.

THERE IS ZERO EXCUSE TO BE AT LESS THAN 1900EXP IN A WZ, EVER!
Whether noob, leveler, BiS raider, or returning player, regardless of where the cutoff is, it EASY to get MAX bolster.

Every patch , every time.

If you don't do the minimum to be stat consistent in the WZ que, just about every person who enjoys legit competitive matches will assume you are a troll or a sadistic SOB and grant you no quarter. Get your mind right and actually don't ruin other people's enjoyment. PLEASE...
Next:
BEING AT MAX EXP ISNT 100% BiS ALL THE TIME.

It's situational. Old set bonuses are powerful, and better to carry than extra EXP. Weapon damage also still has issues. I have a mix build that actually is better than T1 PVP, but my EXP is slightly lower. You have to really "try" to fall below 1900. If you see people around 1930-1980, it's likely they found a slightly more favorable build, THESE PEOPLE DESERVE QUARTER. They have done their homework, and don't need to be trolled..

Now for specifics:
1. If you have old PVP gear, take it off, and source PVE gear at or below the cutoff shown below: The one, "good thing" BW did was make gear that bolsters almost as well (or better) than T1 PvP gear. In other words, if your PVP gear rating is below the bolster cutoff, PVE gear below the bolster cutoff is actually BETTER.

2. Check your bolstered EXP on the bolsterizer terminal mission deck for your respective capital ship (Gav, Zoist) BEFORE you que:. PLEASE do this. If you show up in gear that doesn't bolster correctly, you are BANTHA POO-DOO for the opposition. You eat 20-40% higher crits(!), whether properly PVE geared players or BIS PVP geared players..

Next is the legacy stuff about bolster.

TL: DR
1. Bolster works the same regardless of what level PVP you are in.
2. Test bolster in bolster environments.
3. Don't mix PVE mods with PVP mods in one particular item, UNLESS you "know what you are doing" (no EXP Armoring with PVP mods/enhancements)
4. Augments are still somewhat irrelevant to bolster calc, but NOW bolster give you a "basic augment" stat if you don't have one present (Blue Fortitude).

Spoiler
For reference, the update will consist of two things. 1. The current bolster cutoff. 2. The observations, screens and tubes for myself and other members "proving" the gearing issues.

CUTOFF: The current cutoff for PROPERLY BOLSTERED PVE GEAR is item rating: 162

This is a general statement as SOME particular builds can outpace T1 PVP gear (WEAPON DAMAGE STILL BROKE........), but in general, you will get MAX bolster if your item level on each piece of gear is at, OR below, this level of PVE gear. If you step into a WZ with gear that is higher, you will eat a HUGE bolster nerf (in EXP). Unless you have direct proof lowering your bolster makes you more effective at your given role, DON'T WEAR IT IN A ZONE, YOU ARE A BURDEN, AND BEING CARRIED BY PLAYERS WHO ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT PVP BALANCE.

The only difference is in secondary stats. You want to attempt to get as close to the cutoff as possible, without killing your bankroll. Good thing BW gives you entry sets at or around the bolster cutoff(wink; wink for all those clamoring for the return of "recruit gear", LOL....)

Anyway, I hope this is good enough for now. I hope this is the return of the splash page for bolster. I will make it a point to link threads or tubes for members explaining the system. Also see below if you want my personal "Legacy Post" about it....

Happy Hunting All

L-Randle

PS: @ DEVS... GET RID OF PVP GEAR!!!! ITS ALWAYS BEEN THE BANE OF PVP IN THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!! MAKE IT A GAME ABOUT SKILL AND ROLE BALANCE ONL!!!!!

Next this section is dedicated to the members continuing the legacy of trying to improve PVP, due to lack of attention of the devs:

Icykill:
Icy has posted specific about the current system:
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I've started a new thread for people to understand bolster and expertise... Please refer to it for more up to date info... I will reply to questions in that thread
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=795518

Quinan:

Quote: Originally Posted by Quinan View Post
Also you should check out my video on how to bolster correctly here http://youtu.be/b7iR2ykX2sM

EDIT: This is the video to show the difference between doing PvP with 1000 expertise against someone with 2018 expertise.

http://youtu.be/7YciNaj9FHo
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

L-RANDLE
12.16.2013 , 11:15 PM | #2
Legacy Bolster SHTUFF
Spoiler
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

ManiacDavis
12.16.2013 , 11:32 PM | #3
Overall a good guide.
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac

Joesixxpack
12.17.2013 , 07:31 AM | #4
Analysis with evidence, very nice.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Bluce'Ree Sent | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op
POT5 | HARBINGER

jmsutton
12.17.2013 , 09:03 AM | #5
What I get from this is what I already expected. The difference between all the trouble and lengths of exploiting bolster vs just using the PvP gear as it comes is.... less than 100 base ability damage.

This game is not so tightly/competitively tuned that it matters

Technohic
12.17.2013 , 09:31 AM | #6
Good read L.

Quote: Originally Posted by jmsutton View Post
What I get from this is what I already expected. The difference between all the trouble and lengths of exploiting bolster vs just using the PvP gear as it comes is.... less than 100 base ability damage.

The problem is, a lot of people don't realize they can get close to the same stats as the fully geared and show up significantly below 30k HP and without augments or stims. Or; there is a large portion who spend their initial level 55 coms on MH/OH and that does not help them nearly as much as the augments. All variances asside for how close or not you are with or without gear and bolster; it has become pretty constant on what you can do to minimize and sort of gap. Hopefully this guide could help others to see that without having to explain it every other day.
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

ManiacDavis
12.17.2013 , 10:01 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jmsutton View Post

Where the controvesy is though is the fact that you can buy items from the GTN and those items will bolster better than conqueror gear. In essence, for new players/characters it may be beneficial to not wear pvp gear or defer certain purchases of pvp gear. This guide also does not take into account set bonuses. For example, the scoundrel PvE set bonus increases their AOE heal by 15% whereas the PvP set bonus increases dodge by 1 second. A 15% PvE set bonus, while 10pts lower (hypothetical) stat wise is made better than Obroan PvP gear due to the set bonus.
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac

Oakie
12.17.2013 , 10:29 AM | #8
So what I'm getting out of this is that you get the conquerer gear and just put the pve purple (58's) or (61's) and your instantly competitive and it is better than having expertise in your gear? I say this because I have full conqueror and my saber is Obroan. I sit roughly over 28k health my bonus damage is only 624 while I see others with about 800 and while mostly everyone else I see has 30k+. (I'm a deception assassion fyi)

That just makes no sense to me

Technohic
12.17.2013 , 10:31 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
So what I'm getting out of this is that you get the conquerer gear and just put the pve purple (58's) or (61's) and your instantly competitive and it is better than having expertise in your gear? I say this because I have full conqueror and my saber is Obroan. I sit roughly over 28k health my bonus damage is only 624 while I see others with about 800 and while mostly everyone else I see has 30k+. (I'm a deception assassion fyi)

That just makes no sense to me
You should be able to hit real close to 30 K with fresh 55 greeens, really. Do you have full augments?
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

Oakie
12.17.2013 , 10:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
You should be able to hit real close to 30 K with fresh 55 greeens, really. Do you have full augments?
No I haven't fully augmented my gear yet...just my saber...do you think that is the problem? If I augment all my gear I could have around 30k health? But say I were to do that...is there even a point of getting obroan then?