Noob seek Advice PVP build? Madness or Lightning?

Centures

To be honest I've had the best of luck with Lightning. Of course not saying that Madness is a bad choice, and neither is corruption if you're going for the healer role, but madness has too many force issues that I simply can't deal with.. Also Lightning, if used right, does some amazing burst damage.

I have been playing my Madness sorc a lot more recently and here are some of my thoughts on it.

Now that you cannot cleanse their dots, their damage is much more reliable. A side effect of that, is that their self healing from their DoT's is also much more reliable.

While they certainly don't have the burst of lightning, the pressure of their damage is more then enough to push people around. Its also an amazing addition as an assist to a more bursty ranged class (lightning sorc, merc, sniper). While they burst, all your damage keeps the pressure on between those classes cast times.

Force management is an issue only in extended fights. But there is a slight reprieve now. With the DoT's staying on longer, you can use 1-2 applications of Consumption to get a bit of force back and have the DoT heals make up that health back a bit more reliably. Obviously its situational. Also, if its a truly extended fight, you probably have healers that are keeping that fight going so Consumption isn't as big a problem if you have some HoT's rolling on you from your healers already with the added in self healing.

Madness is also much more mobile then Lightning and not as subject to interrupts. The only time you need to stand still to cast is for Force Lightning, which you do use a lot, but with no CD and no cast time (just channel time), it's nothing if you have to reposition or need to start kiting.

Anyway, much better madness players then me around at this point. But I love the playstyle. There are better classes for statue casting then a lightning sorc (Sniper) imo, so if you like the sitting still hard hitting ranged damage idea, I would go that route if you want to spend the time on it. Not saying Lightning is bad, not at all, just Sniper offers the best passive protections to the status casting classes while dealing out crazy damage.

I have been playing my Madness sorc a lot more recently and here are some of my thoughts on it.

Now that you cannot cleanse their dots, their damage is much more reliable. A side effect of that, is that their self healing from their DoT's is also much more reliable.

While they certainly don't have the burst of lightning, the pressure of their damage is more then enough to push people around. Its also an amazing addition as an assist to a more bursty ranged class (lightning sorc, merc, sniper). While they burst, all your damage keeps the pressure on between those classes cast times.

Force management is an issue only in extended fights. But there is a slight reprieve now. With the DoT's staying on longer, you can use 1-2 applications of Consumption to get a bit of force back and have the DoT heals make up that health back a bit more reliably. Obviously its situational. Also, if its a truly extended fight, you probably have healers that are keeping that fight going so Consumption isn't as big a problem if you have some HoT's rolling on you from your healers already with the added in self healing.

Madness is also much more mobile then Lightning and not as subject to interrupts. The only time you need to stand still to cast is for Force Lightning, which you do use a lot, but with no CD and no cast time (just channel time), it's nothing if you have to reposition or need to start kiting.

Anyway, much better madness players then me around at this point. But I love the playstyle. There are better classes for statue casting then a lightning sorc (Sniper) imo, so if you like the sitting still hard hitting ranged damage idea, I would go that route if you want to spend the time on it. Not saying Lightning is bad, not at all, just Sniper offers the best passive protections to the status casting classes while dealing out crazy damage.

Lightning sorcs make more damage but is so boring.

Edited by Aetideus