Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Efficiency and Crit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Companion Efficiency and Crit

psandak
12.15.2013 , 10:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by RexxarLoh View Post
Purple as in rare items? How i wish there is some equip upgrades or any upgrades to upgrade the crew skills critical.
There is the legacy upgrades to crit crafting to a max of +3%. This does not apply to gathering and mission skills though.

With "gear upgrades" for crew skills there are two possibilities:

#1 - everyone has access and therefore all it does is universally upgrade the crit chance for all crew skills across the board. Bioware would be better served to simply do that "behind the scenes" (increase the base crit chance)

#2 - limited access (i.e. via the cartel market) would be a "pay to win" scenario. And thankfully Bioware has worked hard to avoid this.

This is another example of what's good for the individual is not necessarily good for the community as a whole. The ability to upgrade crit chance to a crew skill is a huge advantage to an individual, but if one person has it everyone has it. And all that would do is devalue what the individual is seeking to capitalize on.

The best example of this in an MMO is WoW's Frost Lotus: after months of players screaming for better drop rates and/or a vendor to "buy" them from, Blizzard increased the chance to acquire "in the field" and added a vendor to trade more common goods for them. This brought Frost Lotus from 80-100 gold a piece to 10-20 gold a piece almost overnight. This in turn crashed the Alchemy Flask market (SWTOR translation: stims).

For those who wish a SWTOR translation: TRs run about 20k each on the GTM. Increase the crit chance of mission by 50% (~20% to ~30%) and have a vendor that takes Exotic Element Equalizers (grade 10 material that drops off 55HMFP bonus and final bosses) for TRs. I guarantee TRs will drop to 4k each (on the high end).

Some would welcome this, most would not, because the reason TRs are coveted is their value. Devalue them and players won't covet them anymore.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101

dancezwithnubz
12.15.2013 , 06:47 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
the reason TRs are coveted is their value. Devalue them and players won't covet them anymore.
also: every character 'needs' 56 Thermal Regulators worth of Augments.

RexxarLoh
12.17.2013 , 06:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
There is the legacy upgrades to crit crafting to a max of +3%. This does not apply to gathering and mission skills though.

With "gear upgrades" for crew skills there are two possibilities:

#1 - everyone has access and therefore all it does is universally upgrade the crit chance for all crew skills across the board. Bioware would be better served to simply do that "behind the scenes" (increase the base crit chance)

#2 - limited access (i.e. via the cartel market) would be a "pay to win" scenario. And thankfully Bioware has worked hard to avoid this.

This is another example of what's good for the individual is not necessarily good for the community as a whole. The ability to upgrade crit chance to a crew skill is a huge advantage to an individual, but if one person has it everyone has it. And all that would do is devalue what the individual is seeking to capitalize on.

The best example of this in an MMO is WoW's Frost Lotus: after months of players screaming for better drop rates and/or a vendor to "buy" them from, Blizzard increased the chance to acquire "in the field" and added a vendor to trade more common goods for them. This brought Frost Lotus from 80-100 gold a piece to 10-20 gold a piece almost overnight. This in turn crashed the Alchemy Flask market (SWTOR translation: stims).

For those who wish a SWTOR translation: TRs run about 20k each on the GTM. Increase the crit chance of mission by 50% (~20% to ~30%) and have a vendor that takes Exotic Element Equalizers (grade 10 material that drops off 55HMFP bonus and final bosses) for TRs. I guarantee TRs will drop to 4k each (on the high end).

Some would welcome this, most would not, because the reason TRs are coveted is their value. Devalue them and players won't covet them anymore.
I see, I understand your concept down here. Analyse the situation as a whole increasing critical rate may not be a good thing.

However, what are TRs for? I heard people mentioning the Thermal Regulators but wat is the use of it?

wainot-keel
12.17.2013 , 08:26 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by RexxarLoh View Post
I see, I understand your concept down here. Analyse the situation as a whole increasing critical rate may not be a good thing.

However, what are TRs for? I heard people mentioning the Thermal Regulators but wat is the use of it?
They are the purple (rare) material required to craft the highest grade of augments at the moment. Each augment takes 4 Thermal Regulators and 1 character can have 14 augments (1 in every slot of gear)

dwanius
01.10.2015 , 11:21 AM | #25
DarthTexas: Can you give some insight to the numbers behind crafting? What is the baseline crit chance for crafting? How does companion affection affect crit chance? Exactly how much of a boost is +1 or +5 critical chance in crafting? Having the Reverse Engineer % chance is a nice step in removing some of the unknowns in crafting; now we just need the numbers on the creation side to be less ambiguous.

Patrick Malott (Systems Designer): The baseline crit chance for crafting is dependent on the difficulty of the crafting action relative to your current crafting skill level. The difficulty is color coded in the crafting GUI.

Orange Difficulty: 10%

Yellow, Green, and Gray Difficulty: 15%

Companion Affection scales Crew Skill chance up to +5% at maximum affection.

A Companion Trait critical chance bonus of +1 or +5 is a percentage. Example: The Imperial Agent companion character Kaliyo grants a +2 bonus to Underworld Trading Critical. This is +2% bonus.

Using Kaliyo at maximum affection as an example, if she ran a green difficulty Underworld Trading mission for you, she would have a 22% chance to score a mission critical success.

From: http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012

psandak
01.10.2015 , 01:23 PM | #26
dwanius

You might want to check the date of the OP (12/22/2011) and the last post (12/17/2013). You are answering questions that are more than a year old. If you were asking a new question related to this topic I would understand the necro, but to answer old questions not so much.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101