Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Player needs guidance in choosing the best crew-skill set-up across 6-characters.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
New Player needs guidance in choosing the best crew-skill set-up across 6-characters.

Sahee
12.09.2013 , 11:57 AM | #1
Hello Community,
I've stopped playing SWTOR after the initial 30 day free-month period, since than I've followed the progress of SWTOR and came to the conclusion that it is finally worth a try, especially with the 30 days for free advertisement and the fact that I could get a 60 day game-card for 15 euros... which means 15 euros for a 90 day subscription.

Now... the reason why I make this thread is rather simple. I've decided to play with 6 characters while one of them is considered my main char (Sahee) and the others are twinks. All 6-characters together should provide me with everything I need when it comes to crew-skills and crafted items, the only profession that I will leave out is synthweaving.

Here is the set-up that I have created:
(/) means that I will switch to another crew skill once the character reaches a high lvl.

Republic

Sahee – Jedi Knight
Biochem
Bioanalysis
Slicing

Datho – Vanguard
Bioanalysis/Diplomacy
Scavenging
Slicing

Shawky – Jedi Sage
Artifice
Archeology
Slicing/Treasure Hunting

Safou - Scoundrel
Cybertech
Scavenging
Slicing/Underworld Trading

Bengo - Gunslinger
Armstech
Scavenging
Slicing/Investigation

Shazzo - Commando
Armortech
Scavenging
Slicing/Underworld Trading

The problem that I have right now is the following, I don't want to have any mission skills during the leveling phase... as it seems to be more profitable to have an additional gathering skill instead. This means that I will level up the mission skills as soon as I reach max lvl. Now I'm torn between slicing on all chars or a different gathering skill (bionalaysis, archaeology, scavenging). If all my characters would have scavenging this means that I would have massive amount of resources for re-engineering and improved crafts. I could even sell the spare resources in the GTM.

My Biochem (Sahee) could provide all my characters with stims as he is resupplied by my commando "Datho". "Shawky" my Artifcer provides all of my character with item slot enhancements. "Safou", "Shazzo" and "Bengo" create armor, weapons and cybertech-gear for my characters and get additionally supplied by "Datho".

As I still need the augmentation mats I will need at least one slicer, which would be my jedi knight as he has +2 crit on slicing... Now... can somebody help me out? Should I pick slicing or another gathering skill in the leveling phase for all my other characters?
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀!!Ξ[![(Θ)!]Ξ!!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

psandak
12.09.2013 , 02:45 PM | #2
As I said in another thread, I am unwilling to change crafting crew skills for the sake of full optimization; that extra 1% to 3% crit chance is simply not worth the investment of time and credits. I have however, on several occasions altered my gathering and mission skills to fill a gap in supply (i.e. one scavenger is not enough to feed three crafting crew skills: AM, AT, CT).

With that said...I will say, that now that I have six characters, each with a different crafting skill, my future characters will be 100% gatherers.

This means that the crew skills I will apply to all new characters are as follows:

- Archeology or Scavenging, depending on force-user or not (respectively) so I can send materials to my synthweaver or armormech to make level appropriate armor
- Bioanalysis so I can send my biochem materials for stims
- Slicing because free credits from nodes is never a bad thing.

In all cases I will only run missions to attain enough crew skill level to insure I do not have to skip over nodes.

And once I hit the level cap on a given character I will probably abandon slicing for a mission skill that I feel needs better supply.

Marius_Xerxes
12.10.2013 , 11:12 AM | #3
http://www.swtorface.com/p/companion-list.html

This site lists all the classes and their companion benefits. I would aline your crafting skill with whatever class gives said skill the biggest bonus (typically +5 to crit). Same goes for gathering and mission skills.

Its easier to do this early on, as you wont have many schematics to re learn so it wont hold you back from being completely optimized across your account for crafting.

As for Slicing, I would put it on any character that has a companion with a bonus to crit with it. So your Knight has a +2 from T7 and your Scoundrel and Gunslinger have +1 from Risha. If your just looking to provide yourself with the resources to make augments for yourself, rather then to sell, I wouldn't worry about having it on more then those toons. If your looking to sell the mats or make augments to sell, then its not a bad idea to have as many slicers as possible.

Bstr
12.10.2013 , 12:44 PM | #4
2 things:

1: Try making some Imperial characters instead of just Republic ones. My mains are Republic sided, but I have some Imperial characters too. Running just 1 side only gets you half of the missions and half of the story. Also, you will get "Legacy" moves from your Imperial characters that complete chapter 3.

2: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015 is the best source for what to pick with each class. Agents and Inquisitors and Knights are the best for Slicing, but Knights are really good at Biochem. The rest of your choices are spot on.

Slicing might be easier to level up while leveling: you will not have to sell stuff constantly.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

Gloomycakes
12.10.2013 , 12:45 PM | #5
I'd recommend taking 1 crafting, 1 gathering and 1 mission crewskill. (Seeing slicing as a mission crewskill here, you can only 'gather' credits, not sliced tech parts. ) In mission crewskills there're often only a few mission worth running (Rich and Bountiful) since you need a Critical result to be profitable. I personally only run the rich missions since I calculated with my average critical results, I'm better off buying the purples of the GTN that investing in the missions, but others had different results. Where-as for I'd run about anything since critical results only increase the amount of materials returned, not the material quality.

So in the crewskill slots you had doubts, cover all desired mission crewskills (check the GTN prices before going for investigation, on my server it's cheaper to buy almost all of the materials on the GTN) and fill the rest with Slicing. At level 55 you can't craft optimal gear for yourself (or others) except: Augments. The schematics are easy to obtain (GTN and critical results from Slicing, sliced tech parts) and the best available in the game, unlike PvE schematics where even the high-end ones are only second or third-best. PvP-gear is impossible to craft at all. And everyone will want Augments, leaving you needing a lot of slicing materials.
"How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent. You're lucky, too. Red eyes suit so few." ~Cheshire

Sahee
12.11.2013 , 06:44 AM | #6
Thanks for the replies, I think that I've came to a conclusion, Slicing will be used during the leveling phase of all characters and I will switch to the mentioned mission skills late in the game. "Datho" will ditch his Bio-analysis skill and I will replace it with Diplomacy, once he his max lvl. This means that I will have two slicers in the late game, which should be enough to provide me with enough mats.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
1: Try making some Imperial characters instead of just Republic ones. My mains are Republic sided, but I have some Imperial characters too. Running just 1 side only gets you half of the missions and half of the story. Also, you will get "Legacy" moves from your Imperial characters that complete chapter 3.
I would like to play an imperial character (especially sniper and bounty hunter)... but I'm not sure how I could transfer items or money between my republic and imperial characters. I can imagine that it is possible through the neutral trade market... but it is most likely quite a hassle. My Imperial-Characters would have to stand on their own... which means the best bet would be to chose Biochem for both of them (sniper/bh). My focus lies on my republic characters, maybe I will take a look at the imperial side somewhere in 2014...
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀!!Ξ[![(Θ)!]Ξ!!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

morfius
12.11.2013 , 07:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sahee View Post
Thanks for the replies, I think that I've came to a conclusion, Slicing will be used during the leveling phase of all characters and I will switch to the mentioned mission skills late in the game. "Datho" will ditch his Bio-analysis skill and I will replace it with Diplomacy, once he his max lvl. This means that I will have two slicers in the late game, which should be enough to provide me with enough mats.

I would like to play an imperial character (especially sniper and bounty hunter)... but I'm not sure how I could transfer items or money between my republic and imperial characters. I can imagine that it is possible through the neutral trade market... but it is most likely quite a hassle. My Imperial-Characters would have to stand on their own... which means the best bet would be to chose Biochem for both of them (sniper/bh). My focus lies on my republic characters, maybe I will take a look at the imperial side somewhere in 2014...
You could mail between all characters in your legacy - no matter faction... you just can't add opposite faction ones as friends one another (friend own chars make mailing very easy).
GTN is one for both factions (Hutts operating it).
There is legacy gear (empty shells) that allow moving BoP mods between legacy alts.
(Legacy is per server only, don't mess with collections that are account wide).
Armormech (trooper due to companion with + 5% crit) /Syntweaver (Sith warrior or any with ship droid sensor) + enough slicers - steady income from augments
Slicing is cheapest to rise - up to 400 you will be even on plus from box missions even without crit ... after 400 they tend to bring less than worth so only bountiful and rich ones for boxes and parts are profitable if they crit.
To crit - you will need also 10000 affection with companion/s you tend to use.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."