Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Equipment- starting out, colors, and leveling

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Equipment- starting out, colors, and leveling

Brodirtreblot
12.02.2013 , 02:51 PM | #1
I'm lvl 11 and trying to do this right.
In getting equipment, should I be buying oranges and purples?
Do they level up in grade/class as I level up or do I have to keep upgrading my armor, weapons, et al as I level or just the mods?

Where's th best place to buy the best equipment as I go?
If I have limited money, do I spend it on mods or equipment?

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
Thanks all!!!

Obvious Noobie

Bstr
12.02.2013 , 03:18 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Brodirtreblot View Post
In getting equipment, should I be buying oranges and purples?
Yes and no. You should be getting any "oranges and purples" (Custom and Artifact respectively) that are either empty shells or have your main stat in them. Also, they need to have the highest rating of armor or be adaptive armor. Furthermore, you only need 1 Custom or Artifact armor or weapon per slot: if you get a new one, keep whichever one you like the look of the most.

On the "No" side: for you first character, do not buy any armor with credits: only get them from missions or buy them with Planetary Commendations from Supply vendors on the fleet and planets. You will need your credits to buy upgrades to your abilities, a speeder, travel to planets, and Legacy perks. (Do not be that guy that "needs" to borrow 50k for speeder training at level 15.)

Heroics and Flashpoints usually give Custom armor and they also give Planetary Commendations that you can use to buy armor. The multi-stage bonus quests also give Planetary Commendations you can use to turn in for armor.

Note: Implants and Earpieces do not have any Custom variations: just get them from quests or use Planetary Commendations to buy better ones.

Do they level up in grade/class as I level up or do I have to keep upgrading my armor, weapons, et al as I level or just the mods?
You just need to level up the mods for everything except implants and earpieces: implants and earpieces need to be replaced every 10+ levels or so. You should be using Planetary Commendations to replace the mods and implants and earpieces. Cybertech can also build armoring, mods, and earpieces, Biochem can build implants, Armstech can build barrels, and Artifice can build hilts, color crystals, and enhancements.

Where's th best place to buy the best equipment as I go?
Supply section of the fleet until you hit level 55: they have all the mods, implants, and earpieces you need. They also have many Custom armors and weapons. At level 55, you will still stay in the Supply section for normal PvE equipment, but you will get your PvP Warzone equipment in the Combat section. I would suggest going there only every 4-8 levels on odd levels. (All modifications have an odd level level requirement. Upgrading outside of the 4-8 level window range will leave you will bad gear with either spending too many Planetary Commendations to have any left or hitting the cap with Planetary Commendations.)

If I have limited money, do I spend it on mods or equipment?
As stated earlier, DO NOT spend credits on mods or equipment: only Planetary Commendations. If you need to prioritize your Planetary Commendations purchases, use the following list:
  1. Custom equipment if you do not have some in one of your slots and there is some available at your level
  2. For the following, try to upgrade anything more than 6 levels lower than you first, then anything more than 2 levels, then anything else.
    1. Barrels or hilts unless you are a Sage / Sorcerer (They don't use their weapon to attack)
    2. Armoring
    3. Mods
    4. Enhancements
    5. Hilts if you are a Sage / Sorcerer
    6. Implants
    7. Earpieces
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server