Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is a combat medic really that bad?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is a combat medic really that bad?

12.02.2013 , 09:00 AM | #11
You won't have any problems leveling a healer, but it is much slower than were you to level as DPS.

You have to look at it from the long view. Individually, fights won't take much longer but if you add up the extra time needed to finish a fight as a healer, it turns into a rather large number by the time you hit 55.

You aren't really getting good, useful experience as a healer by just healing yourself and your companion while leveling up. Experience for end game healing will only come from running FP's and maybe a bit from Heroic 4's.

If speed isn't an issue, healers have enough combat abilities to do the job.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

12.02.2013 , 09:20 AM | #12
While the individual fights might take a bit longer, your survivability is much higher, and due to that, you will spend a lot less time traveling back to quest locations b/c some random pathing MOB runs into you. Quite frankly if you level as a DPS one too many MOBs and you will die right along with your companion, if not you dying before your companion. Yes Medical Probes help, but as a healer you will just laugh when a couple of extra MOBs path into your combat furball.
Guild leader of {Imperial} <The Betrayed> & {Republic} <xX The Betrayed Xx> on The Harbinger. Recruitment Thread
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it.

12.02.2013 , 11:39 AM | #13
I started out as a healer on my operative, by the time I got to Nar Shaddaa I found I spent so little time healing Kaliyo that I switched to dps tree and never looked back. I did lvl up a commando as healer before that, it went just fine with tank comps, but it's not necessary and you're just slowing yourself down.

12.02.2013 , 11:05 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
Leveling and soloing as a healer flat out stinks. My main is a Commando Combat Medic and I have kept two sets of gear for him since I chose Commando at level 10.

Whoever says doing both makes you suck at both isn't just wrong, they are idiots. Doing both makes you good at both beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Soloing as a healer, even with a geared DPS companion, is just too slow even if you throw DPS out there. You are better off soloing as DPS with a tank or healing companion (I prefer healers myself) and healing in group activities (if you have the field respec unlock which I highly recommend),
Well, then, you're not doing both. You're switching back and forth.
Doing both would be throwing down an aoe heal then doing your dps rotation until the cd on your aoe heal is up and repeating.
But I agree with unlocking the field respec.

Because they're ranged, a Commando combat medic can still do decent DPS if the group isn't needing much healing done.
If you are DPS, you still have some basic healing abilities if your healer gets overwhelmed while doing damage on par with other DPS classes.