Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Game performance issue which shouldn't be occurring, any help ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game performance issue which shouldn't be occurring, any help ?

Kennobai's Avatar


Kennobai
11.24.2013 , 07:08 AM | #1
Hello.

I'm one of original players who started back in 2011. I played until March of 2012 and then stopped due to lack of endgame content, and I'm returning now ( and quite pleased to be honest, the game is bloody awesome atm ).

At the time I had Intel Core i5-2400 ( Sandy Bridge ), GeForce GTX460 and 4 GB of DDR3 1333 RAM, game ran on stable 80 fps everywhere ( and 20 fps during big battles in Ilum ( we're talking about battles where people were reporting 1 FPS ) ).

I currently possess Lenovo y510p laptop instead of the aformentioned desktop PC. It has i7-4700MQ CPU ( newest Haswell CPU ), GeForce GT755M and 8 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM. This PC, even though is a laptop, performs faster in every single aspect compared to my old PC. For example, in League of Legends I'm getting around 120-180 compared to 80-100 FPS I was getting on my old PC. Yet, however, unlike on my old PC, where I was getting stable 60-80FPS 99% of time, SWTOR is insanely CHOPPY and LAGGY on my brand new laptop and quite frankly I'm wondering WHY.


50% of time it sails like a boat on a calm sea, while other 50% of time I get insanely choppy frame rates. I've tried turning down every single detail down to minimum, to no avail. The game acts the same whether it's on max settings on 1900x1200 or if it's on everything off/minimum on 800x600, which shouldn't be happening.


Does anyone know a fix to this or what the hell is even going on, because it's hard for me to enjoy playing like this. Thanks :\

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 07:18 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kennobai View Post
Hello.

50% of time it sails like a boat on a calm sea, while other 50% of time I get insanely choppy frame rates.:\
If it plays fine in an area and then all of a sudden the same area is insanely choppy then you have thermal throttling occurring, it is a common issue with a lot of laptops, swtor is a great stress tool. You could try setting pre-rendered frames to 1 and enable vsynch and triple buffer, this should help lower temps

The i7-4700MQ is what is making the difference over the i5-2400

Kennobai's Avatar


Kennobai
11.24.2013 , 07:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
If it plays fine in an area and then all of a sudden the same area is insanely choppy then you have thermal throttling occurring, it is a common issue with a lot of laptops, swtor is a great stress tool. You could try setting pre-rendered frames to 1 and enable vsynch and triple buffer, this should help lower temps

The i7-4700MQ is what is making the difference over the i5-2400

I know how to enable Vsync, but how to set pre-rendered frames and triple buffer ? Also, Vsync actually drops framerate, doesn't it ?

Also, you said t hat i7 is what's making the difference, I suppose you said that in a positive manner, because i7 scores better than i5 in every test ? :O

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 07:45 AM | #4
Pre-rendered frames and triple buffer are in the Nvidia Control Panel, setup a profile for swtor.exe

yes Vsynch limits the frames and also helps keep laptops cooler

I7 over I5 yes positive

renegadeimp's Avatar


renegadeimp
11.24.2013 , 09:34 AM | #5
SOME i7's are better than i5's, not all of them are though. Yours is
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Kennobai's Avatar


Kennobai
11.24.2013 , 10:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Pre-rendered frames and triple buffer are in the Nvidia Control Panel, setup a profile for swtor.exe

yes Vsynch limits the frames and also helps keep laptops cooler

I7 over I5 yes positive
Did all you said, still having the same issue. Laptop isn't overheating, it's quite stable temperature wise. Everything is set on max performance, too.

I've checked the site you've linked, GT755M scores some odd ~850 while GTX460 scores ~1k score, but this can't possibly be it because performance is the same no matter what settings I use.

renegadeimp's Avatar


renegadeimp
11.24.2013 , 10:43 AM | #7
GT755M is equivalent to a low end desktop card. Thats why it gets low results.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Kennobai's Avatar


Kennobai
11.24.2013 , 11:11 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
GT755M is equivalent to a low end desktop card. Thats why it gets low results.
So until I get another one for SLI I'm out of luck, oh well..