Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness/Balance Assassin Dmg Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Madness/Balance Assassin Dmg Tips

Zydean
11.14.2013 , 07:21 AM | #1
Ok, I'm rolling my madness assassin (right now I'm not interested in others) in pvp and even I can farm medals for dps, protection, objectives, healing etc and become "invincible" almost every game... I'm not happy with my dps output (as I don't care for those stupid medals, but I wanna top the dps charts lol). So I'm interested in rotations people use and some general pvp tips, builds, gear (stalker or force master?), augments, relics etc. I really like idea of this tree, so I'd like to be better.
Red Eclipse | Drop It Like It's Hoth
Zy'ssan, Mercenary Bodyguard

Evolixe
11.14.2013 , 07:41 AM | #2
Respec Deception.
Evolixe Twitch Exilove

ZooMzy
11.14.2013 , 07:46 AM | #3
The Madness sin is quite honestly a joke in PvP, as the damage output you are capable is pretty weak for the type of play style it brings. I'd suggest going Deception as well, or even rolling a Lethality operative instead.

But rotation wise, it's all about making sure everyone on the other team has a DoT on them if you want to pump out the best damage numbers. Just don't be surprised when you play those matches where it's only fluff damage.

Majspuffen
11.14.2013 , 08:26 AM | #4
Getting high numbers for the scoreboard as a Madness Assassin is easy. You have a very large radius on Deathfield and it hits up to five targets. Not much reason to go into melee if you want to see numbers, just spam DoTs. Tab target and DoT for eaz-mode scoreboard-whoring.

Zydean
11.14.2013 , 09:53 AM | #5
Well, I dunno I don't wanna play deception. As I said I'm interested in playing madness/balance sin/shadow, mostly because everyone says it's ****.

I usually use spike, CT, recklessness, DF, LC, (if needed one of the cc), overcharged saber, trash, trash, trash, CD, DF + dots, trash, trash .... assassinate. I usually don't use maul at all and my build is 3/7/37 (I've abandon trashing blades darkness perk for deception's insulation to get 30% boost on armor, as madness is quite squishy). Now, my problem is just that even I dot everyone and use DF on groups (usually with recklessness), stay alive (but still in middle of fight) I don't have big dmg on score board. And I don't have any problems soloing deception or darkness assassins. Even those that are not noobs.
Red Eclipse | Drop It Like It's Hoth
Zy'ssan, Mercenary Bodyguard

ZooMzy
11.14.2013 , 10:10 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zydean View Post
Well, I dunno I don't wanna play deception. As I said I'm interested in playing madness/balance sin/shadow, mostly because everyone says it's ****.

I usually use spike, CT, recklessness, DF, LC, (if needed one of the cc), overcharged saber, trash, trash, trash, CD, DF + dots, trash, trash .... assassinate. I usually don't use maul at all and my build is 3/7/37 (I've abandon trashing blades darkness perk for deception's insulation to get 30% boost on armor, as madness is quite squishy). Now, my problem is just that even I dot everyone and use DF on groups (usually with recklessness), stay alive (but still in middle of fight) I don't have big dmg on score board. And I don't have any problems soloing deception or darkness assassins. Even those that are not noobs.
What's your stat setup look like in regards to crit, surge, bonus damage, and the procs you are using from the relics (assuming you're 55)?

Jimvinny
11.14.2013 , 10:24 AM | #7
Typical baddie. Doesn't care about objectives, just wants to top the damage board. Well friend, if you're trying to top the boards in madness, and not able to do so, you need to L2P. Madness assassins are amazing tab dotters. Absolute kings of fluff damage.

And the reason people say they're **** is that they are. In the time it takes you to get your three dots and DF applied, my deception sin will have that target damn near dead. Sure, I may not put up the same overall damage numbers as a (good) madness sin, but that's just because I killed my target a lot faster.

jackrunip
11.14.2013 , 10:59 AM | #8
Simple enough rotation: Death Field-Discharge-Creeping Terror-Discharge-Discharge-Discharge-Channeled Crushing Darkness-Thrash until instant Crushing Darkness-Apply Second Darkness to separate target-Creeping Terror etc...

NEVER*** use spike, it has no benefit and causes useless resolve gain. You're better off trying to start with a Crushing Darkness (channeled) from an area they aren't looking at.

Basically apply the Death Field debuff to 5 people, dot those people, apply 2 separate Crushing Darkness on 2 targets to stress the healer, Death Field/Assassinate to execute. I would also advise saving your recklessness for Force Lightning as you will get 30m range as well as increased chance to crit. Using Reck on Death Field burns up your stacks too quickly for not a lot of damage gain.

You can also dot everyone else, they won't take as much dot damage though.

NOTE: Death Field does 15% more damage to people below 30% health.

I would NOT use this in ranked unless you trust your team. The spec is VERY squishy ( It has a 30% DR that only applies when stunned and loses the 12 second 25% damage reduction of deception) and unless you have a tank that swaps guard or a healer that is watching, you will die FAST**. There is also a lack of any burst coming from Maddness which makes killing things tricky (also a great CC breaker)

Solo ranked is a bit worse because you rely too much on the others around you (whereas you have a little more breathing room in deception).

Spec works fine in regs (you should easily be able to get well over a million) if you're looking for scoreboard numbers.

As far as augments I'm running full Willpower. I stacked Power and Surge in my gear (taking different parts from both sorc and assasin gear). I'm running (with bolster) about 23% Crit-75% Surge-95% Accuracy-1776 Mainhand-1230? Bonus Force Damage. Usual big hits are 6K+ on a Death Field (7K against a low geared enemy)

** The reason I say FAST is because I can lose 50% of my health from 2 GCD of a well geared operative (big hit of 8.1K)
***Spike should only be used as a second interrupt on a non-whitebarred target.
Mechanical Llama -- Sneaky Llama of T.E.H
Fiama Llama -- Retired Sneaky Llama of T.E.H
Also, anything with a "Llama" attached to the end of it!

LaVall
11.14.2013 , 01:57 PM | #9
If you enjoy madness, but still want to be useful to your team, I'd suggest rolling a sorc. Not only is it far more effective, but it's also far more enjoyable.

valeita
11.14.2013 , 02:01 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LaVall View Post
If you enjoy madness, but still want to be useful to your team, I'd suggest rolling a sorc. Not only is it far more effective, but it's also far more enjoyable.
unfortuntely this. On my server there is only 1 guy currently playing it (nope, it's not me :P), it's so sad.